2 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy, should I still feel pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy, should I still feel pain? 2 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy, should I still feel pain?

Unread 03-25-2015, 12:27 PM
2 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy, should I still feel pain?

So, I called the doctor yesterday to say that my 30 pain pills were down to just a few and the reply I received was "if you are still in pain you should come in". Well, I am not in such extreme pain that I am doubled over and unable to function, but I do feel some tender places, especially at my incision sites and I do not mind roughing it with over the counter anti-inflammatory at this point. Should I be worried that if I am not completely pain-free at this point in my recovery that something has gone terribly wrong and go see the doctor or do you think they are just being extra-cautious in prescribing pain meds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Re: 2 weeks 2 days, should I still feel pain?

Can be very normal since i was taking tylenol regularly for 6 weeks.
Since at this time your body is healing then weeks 3-6 the internal stitches dissolve so you will get sharp twinges of pain and then after the 6 weeks your body starts getting back to normal inside.
But if you have any concerns or have a fever or anything then make sure to get checked out.
Take care
Unread 03-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Not sure what type of surgery you had, but mine was 9 weeks ago and I still have pain inside, especially around my incision area...so it is not unusual to have pain two weeks after your surgery. According to my doctor, he had to remove a lot of endo and adhesions, which is taking me longer than others to heal. He also had no problem prescribing another round of pain meds, just to get me over the hump…for the most part I can get by with just motrin, but still have to take one of the good meds if I over do things. Hope this helps, but would definitely follow up with the doctor if it will give you some peace of mind.

Get well soon!!

Libby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabesoon View Post
So, I called the doctor yesterday to say that my 30 pain pills were down to just a few and the reply I received was "if you are still in pain you should come in". Well, I am not in such extreme pain that I am doubled over and unable to function, but I do feel some tender places, especially at my incision sites and I do not mind roughing it with over the counter anti-inflammatory at this point. Should I be worried that if I am not completely pain-free at this point in my recovery that something has gone terribly wrong and go see the doctor or do you think they are just being extra-cautious in prescribing pain meds?
I don't think you should be worried at all. Everyone will heal differently. We all had our surgeries for specific reasons, no two will be completely alike. You didn't mention what type of hysterectomy you had, a TAH is the most invasive and often takes the longest to recover from. If you require additional pain medication, then you should be taking it. I remember my doctor saying that it was important to stay on top of pain and then your body will have an easier time healing. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Re: 2 weeks 2 days post hysterectomy, should I still feel pain?

Hi Thanks for the replies. I had ovaries and cervix removed. The doctor tried his best to use robotic surgery, but my fibroids were so large that they ended up having to do a pretty significant cut across the bikini line. The skin around that cut and about 4 inches of belly above it are still pretty sore, and by the end of a day even more so. Considering that, I was pretty pleased with my recovery. I have been walking, and doing some of the easier housework since week one. I wear very good support panties in the day. I do not mind that my doctor thinks that I should not be taking pain meds any longer. Sometimes these meds allow us to over do things and regret it later, but I felt like they were saying that if I wasn't pain free at this point something is wrong. Part of me though this concept was pretty silly, but then it set to worry another part of me. I am still considering running out their to check things out, but I feel pretty silly.
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:22 AM

Please do not feel silly for being in pain. I believe the nurse's comment was a bit on the snarky side and it has caused you unnecessary worry as a result. In my area, doctors can't prescribe refills on opiates unless they see you in their office again, and that is a more likely scenario of the problem, NOT that you are somehow healing wrong.
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Thanks Golden Eagle. Up until that call I was feeling awesome about my progress. I think I will let go of that and continue to count my blessings.
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:49 AM

I don't think that you should necessarily be pain free at this point, but is it something that can be handled by otc pain meds? Maybe they are saying that if it is still bad enough that you need narcotics they would like to take a look and be sure there are no problems?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register