Cost of Hospital Table | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cost of Hospital Table Cost of Hospital Table

Unread 09-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Cost of Hospital Table

I have noticed that several people have mentioned renting a hospital table for post-op care. I think that is a great idea that would make life much better, but was wondering about the expense of it. I live on a very limited disability income. About how much does it cost to rent such a table for a week or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Cost of Hospital Table

I had a SAH on 8/2 and I am recovering fine without a hospital bed. I do not want to sound like I am telling you how to spend your money...but if renting a hospital bed would put a strain on your finances, I would recommend that you do not rent one. I would recommend that you get some extra pillows. Yes, getting in and out of bed for the first week or so will be difficult...but it is not unbearable. You just need to take your time doing it. The day after my surgery, I was getting in and out of the bed by myself in the hosptial. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Cost of Hospital Table

I think she was asking about one of those bed tables they have in the hospital - like a bed tray on wheels. I looked into getting one, but could only find them for sale, and didn't think $170 was worth it. I did find something similar though - walmart's website has a notebook computer table that is almost the same thing and was on sale for $39. I had problems trying to order from the website, and since it wasn't that important to me, I just gave up.

I just bought a couple of inexpensive TV trays and some lightweight cubes to put my "stuff" in.

Try looking in the phone book in your area for medical supplies and find a place that offers home medical equipment. I am sure they could give you a price over the phone. I hope you find what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

3 months post op and I was so happy to get rid of the contraptions and clutter all around my bed! I don't have a lot of space, so I was feeling very crowded, and all I had was a TV tray (crammed next to the cat condo next to the window). But, on my tray was my clock, my phone, my flashlight, books, drinks, notepads and pens, remote controls, hair stuff, and what ever else I was using at the moment! I guess if there was room to scoot it away from my bed that would have been fine. Finally got rid of this mess about a month ago. I tried to use a cane at first to get out of bed, but that was too unstable for me, and I just learned how to carefully move in and out of bed, slowly. And, I kept knocking everything off my TV tray! (Hint... if at first you manage to roll out of bed comfortably, the trick is to try to REMEMBER what you did and how you moved, and to try to repeat that each time!)

I don't mean to discourage you about the hospital table but I think any catch-all table, as long as you can also get it out of your way, will probably work! Good luck to you!
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:14 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

I wish I had thought of that before my surgery, would be a big help at home. I didn't know you could rent one of those at all. Have you considered one of those little bed trays? Like something you'd serve breakfast in bed, with the two legs. Bed Bath and Beyond has one for 9.99.
Oops! Guidelines do not allow links to commercial sites.

You can go to bedbathandbeyond.com and search for bed tray. Worth a look I think. Good luck!
Unread 09-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

I didn't rent a table either. A tv tray worked well for me too.
I didn't actually spend much time in bed. I started getting up the day after my surgery ( not my idea at first but it did actually help ). I set up camp in a lounger in my living room, had my tv remote, a jug of water, magazines etc all handy on a tv tray. As said, any small table or such should work - use what works best for you.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:03 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

For those of you who are interested, I just called a local medical supply company that rents hospital bedside tables for fifteen dollars a month. I find that is very reasonable.
Unread 09-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

I just used a step stool!
Unread 09-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Cost of Hospital Table

I tried unsuccessfully to rent a bedside table so wound up buying one on ebay. With shipping and everything it was close to $60 and was well worth it. I don't use it alongside the bed but by my chair. I keep my laptop on it and because it is on wheels it is easy to manipulate. I feel it was a good investment since my work requires a lot of online time. I think I will continue to use it well after my recovery period and it will be nice to have if I or other family members or friends are down and out at some point.
Unread 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Cost of Hospital Table

If you have one of those gadget magazines they have one similar for around $20 or so. I used TV trays and a basket to catch things. I've camped on the sofa in the living room. Might as well because if I'd camped in bed, I wouldn't have been left alone anyway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register