My TAH scheduled..I feel like I could hurl | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My TAH scheduled..I feel like I could hurl My TAH scheduled..I feel like I could hurl

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM
My TAH scheduled..I feel like I could hurl

Well ladies.. my surgery is finally scheduled for Aug. 5th, pre-op on the 1st..unless he wants me to have certain tests done earlier than that.
I could have had it as soon as July 8th, but decided on the 5th of Aug mainly because it's a a.m. appt instead of late afternoon. DH will be taking off a week to stay with me.

Last friday was my first visit with the gyno/surgeon, I've only heard good things about him so far. Everyone says he's an excellent surgeon which makes me feel a little better, but still very nervous about being put under and recovery. I know this is all normal feelings to have, but I can't help but think the worse...I'm a big time worrier. UGH

I also don't know if I want him to take my ovaries while in there.? That's a hard one for me to decide as well. Dang decision making....

I'm sure I'll be posting several questions or concerns before surgery, please don't get sick of me okay.

Ruth/blondie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:44 PM

I think the basis for removing your ovaries needs to be for medical reasons, not just because you're having other things removed too. If at all possible, it's the best thing to keep them, since you won't need to have HRT and your body can still go through the aging process with your own naturally processed chemistry. Obviously, this needs to be discussed at some length with your doctor.
It's funny how most women are really concerned about anesthesia, you do know that it's pretty normal now to also have a spinal, right? If you don't want to have general anesthesia, there are very few reasons why you can't opt for the spinal.
Just remember when you ask questions on this site that each person is unique and we all have different bodies, different problems that we are addressing, different levels of dealing with pain, and different levels of support. You're lucky your hubby is taking off a week, that's the time you'll need it most.
We're all here to give and receive experience information, so don't worry about people getting sick of you. They don't have to read or respond to your posts!
Good luck, and you're in the right place.

P.S. Sometimes it can be a bit scary reading the post-op threads. You might want to get more "clinical" information before reading those.
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM

No worries about us getting sick of you. I don't know about everyone else, but I am stuck in recovery and addicted to this site!

One thought about going under. I was terrified about going back to the or and remembering. I don't remember anything after my relaxer in preop until I woke up in recovery. Hope yours goes as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM

I've discussed the ovaries only briefly with the dr on my initial visit with him, but will make sure to ask more questions at pre-op.

I've been here reading for over a month and have learned a lot. I have to admit I have read some of the post-op threads as well. I even tried to post to them, but didn't realize at the time I couldn't until I had a sugery date scheduled. Ha
I've actually done a lot of research online about hysts, hormones, ect. I've visited various sites and even viewed a couple of hysts on you-tube. My dh even watched one with me.

But imo nothing compares to the personal experiences of ladies that's already gone thru this type of surgery. kwim

Ruth
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

i decided to take out both ovaries because i have very cystic lumpy fibroid breasts and 2 breast surgeons said it would be better for my breast s to take out ovaries, and so did my primary. i am 48, and healthy ovaries, but this way i will never have to worry about ovarian cancer and i can take calcium suppliements and heart healthy stuff and checkups, etc for heart stuff. so , my ovaries a re coming out and believe me this was a hard decision
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM

yes, my date is july 15 - coming too fast, and i have been questioning some older women who have had it done and they said they did not feel that bad when they woke up and it did not hurt as much as they were worried when they woke up and nobody felt a thing.
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:06 PM

love math, thanks!

I've been put under a couple of other times, but it still scares me. I had colon surgery/appendix back in 1996, and oral surgery for wisdom teeth.
Had multiple colonoscopys being somewhat under but not all the way.

Since I'm having a TAH I'm not sure about a spinal ect...I don't think I want to be able to feel them tugging on me.

Another concern is I'm heavier now than back in 96 and the extra weight worries me some as well.? Should I be more worried about this??

Ruth/blondie08
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Hi sarafox,

I have fiberous dense breasts also, and have read too that taking out the ovaries could help. My GM on my moms side had/died of cancer down there, just not sure if it started in the uterus, cervix or ovaries...no one in my family can tell me for sure. ugh

My ovaries have a couple of cysts on the right and a few small ones on the left. He said the ones on the left ovary could be because I was ovulating, not sure though. I keep wondering if they'll keep coming back even if I just have them drained. I'd hate to have to go back for more surgery anytime soon.

Thanks for all the replys ladies!

Ruth
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM

I do not have my surgery date yet and am still kind of in the deciding mode. I have had an ovarian cyst. One of the worst pains I ever had. When I expressed my concern of removing things that might still be useful(ovaries) my Dr's response was that they would only be good for about 5 more years. (I am going to be 45 in a couple of weeks.) Personally, the thought of ovarian cancer scares me. By the time you have symptoms, it is usually very advanced. At least that is my understanding. Given that and my other issues/symptoms I have decided I will most likely have them removed. Just My Humble Opinion. If I were much younger, maybe I would do different. But since menopause is just around the corner anyway...

I am still open to more info as I search to make my educated decision.

Hilary
Unread 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM

take out the ovaries and you will never have to worry about it.
especially if you are over 45, . good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register