Breathing Trouble | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breathing Trouble Breathing Trouble

Unread 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Breathing Trouble

I had a LSH 5 days ago, and I started having a lot of trouble breathing yesterday. I have a very painful stitch in my right side, and I cannot take in a deep breath. When I do it really really hurts and makes me want to cough, and coughing is out of the question with my belly being so sore. Is this caused by the gas they pumped in me? It just seems weird that it would start a few days after the surgery. I have been thinking of going to the hospital for it, but I am not sure if I am overreacting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Breathing Trouble

BuzzOfThoughts

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this.

I don't wish to scare you but, since blood clots are a very real possibility following major surgery, it's vital that you seek medical advice without delay ~ preferably by going straight to your local ER.

Will you let us know later how you got on? Take good care!

Unread 08-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Breathing Trouble

you should at least call your dr and tell him exactly how youre feeling and see what he tells you to do. you cant be too careful about the possibility of blood clots after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Breathing Trouble

Just to update this... late the night after I wrote this post, my breathing pain got so bad that I did drive to the ER, and they told me it might be a blood clot. They ambulanced me to the nearest big hospital, an hour and a half away, and kept me overnight, doing about fifteen billion tests. Thank goodness it wasn't a blood clot, it is pleuresy (sp?), which is very very painful but treatable with anti-inflammatories and bed rest. Apparently it is relatively common after a hysterectomy because of things settling in your belly. But they said it was very good that I had come in, because blood clots can happen and can be fatal, and I should have gone in earlier. So if anyone else has breathing problems, go to the ER! It is definitely better safe than sorry.
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Breathing Trouble

I know I've heard the word but what exactly is pleuresy?

I'm glad to hear it wasn't a blood clot.
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Breathing Trouble

It is swelling of the lining around your lung, it compresses your lung and makes it hard and painful to breathe. It can also be a swelling inside your lung.
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Breathing Trouble

Did they say what caused this, maybe anesthesia??
Unread 08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Breathing Trouble

Apparently it is caused by everything settling in your abdomen after surgery, it just causes stress on all your organs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register