TAH/BSO scheduled for 7/23 & I'm SCARED TO DEATH!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO scheduled for 7/23 & I'm SCARED TO DEATH!! TAH/BSO scheduled for 7/23 & I'm SCARED TO DEATH!!

Unread 06-15-2004, 06:26 AM
TAH/BSO scheduled for 7/23 & I'm SCARED TO DEATH!!

Hi all,

I saw my doctor yesterday & we scheduled my TAH/BSO for 7-23-04. I am so scared that my life will not be the same. I am only 32 yrs old and I don't want to lose my sex drive, he assured me that it would be the same except without the pain. I am also afraid that when they open me up everything will be normal because the only thing I have wrong is PCOS, irregular bleeding, heavy periods, cramps all the time and severe pain on what feels like my right ovary. He said that the ultrasound look okay but that didn't mean anything. I am just so scared that I am making a mistake. I was supposed to have this done last year and I chickend out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 07:07 AM

Hey there well I'm pretty new to this stuff myself and I actually volunteered for this surgery.I keep reading post about ladies with very severe problems that required surgery to correct it, My problems were actually heavy bleeding for about three days cramping, large clots but still nothing I couldn't deal with however felt just horrible mentally and physically...Headaches were connected with ovulation those i think were the worst of all....Anyway I 'm scared about the recovery time and basically thats about it , My surgery is July 20th and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!It will be a vaginal hyst. and everything goes!!!!!!!!!

Stay positive by best advice. Everyone is different and will be affected in different ways. what will happen will happen and you deal one day at a time and all will turn out well..
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:12 AM

I certainly can relate to your fears and concerns. I had the same surgery and am glad I did. You only can make your choice. I had doubts and almost cancelled. I was obsessed with the surgery from the time they scheduled till it was over. I think that is normal.

I can say I am so so so glad I had it done. I feel better every day. It had it's rough moments but what doesn't?

I just decided to do it and had to stop second guessing. They found more problems than we even knew I had!

take care and good luck

woodsie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2004, 09:17 AM

All I can say is, EVERY time I have approached someone about having a hysterectomy, they say, "I had mine on *enter date here*, and it was the best thing I ever did for myself!" Although my hysterectomy became something that was necessary due to cervical cancer, I was ready to go through with it before I found out about the cancer. Too many women will tell you the same thing "It's great!" for you not to sit up and take notice. Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-15-2004, 09:35 AM

Hi Couponcrazy,

I think we're in the same boat. I'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on July 21 for fibroids (12 week uterus) and extensive scar tissue from 3 previous c-sections.

I'm 37 and have 3 children (had my tubes tied after the last one), so I know I am done. It's all the other possible side effects that worry me. (Lack of libido, taking hormones, etc.)

I don't really have heavy periods, but do have pain on and off. I am terrified of the surgery and am having doubts about it. (I mostly have the doubts on the good days when I'm not in pain) I see my doc on July 8 to discuss everything with him. I also have a reunion to go to out of town 7 weeks after surgery and am concerned if I will be able to make the trip by myself.

I'm afraid if I wait to do the surgery it may become an emergency situation and I might not have insurance at that time. Right now, I have the insurance, and will have plenty of help with the kids.

Make sure you talk to your doctor and ask a million questions. I already have a list going to bring with when I go in.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Unread 06-15-2004, 10:11 AM

I am 32 years old and havinig the same surgery as you in August and for the same reason! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21 years old. Like you I went through years that where fine and some that where not. Last Thanksgiving I could not ignore anymore that I had a cyst. I was in pain and you know how you have to walk when one of those is going to burst. Well, I went to the ER and they did an ultrasound. They said the cyst was the size of a golf ball. They sent gyno a consult to see me asap so two days later I was there. They admitted me and all I could do was cry. I had seen this dr before for dysplasia and we didn't exactly hit it off so crying in front of her was embarrasing. She knew that I wouldn't leave myself open like that if I was up to par. Well, she admitted me and scheduled me for surgery the next day. Fifteen minutes prior to surgery she had to cancell because my platelets where too low and this was a militay hospital and they didn't have platelets. I was sent home on pain medication for the weekend. Tuesday I was in my new dr office and I didn't expect to be admitted again, thinking I was before because insurance isn't an issue at a military hospital. To make a long story short and its way to late for that, I was in surgery Wednesday. They expected it to be a 45 minute operation but it was 2 1/2 hours. The cyst that was the size of a golf ball was the size of a grapefruit. There was another one that was the size of a golf ball, one the size of an almond which was hard (they thought cancer but it wasn't) and dozens and dozens of small ones. The large one was leaking that toxic poison. As it turned out, I had two staples right under my belly button and 23 right below the hairline. I was almost cut from hip to hip! My point is, as scared as I am to lose everything, including my ovaries, that was a surprise that I can't go through again. How many times can that happen? I lived with pco for so long and all of its pain and inconvienece. I did not know that it could do what it did to me. Following surgery I have bled almost everyday since December. I have been on Premrin, three different bc's, and I can't do it again. I hope this will help and I know you are scared. I am too.

Sherri
Unread 06-15-2004, 07:27 PM
thanks everyone

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your kind words and support. I know that I have to have this done, I started babysitting today for a 5 week old baby and by the end of the day I was hurting so badly that I could hardly take care of my children. I think I will go take a long hot shower & take a pain pill and go to bed. Thanks again!!

Your hystersister
Michelle
Unread 07-04-2004, 04:44 AM

I had a TAH/BSO on the 16th June and I feel great. I had/have PCOS, but had pre-cancerous cells in the uterous, that wouldn't go away after 6 months of treatment, so this was the right option for me.

Apart from the normal pain and tiredness etc from surgery I feel like a new women. I feel very femanine for the first time in years (maybe its the eostrogen HRT) and have lost some weight. and not being too personal, my sex drive is still there (although I am not doing anything about it for a while!) or should I say has come back.

I understand your fear and only you can make the choice, but like others here, so many women told me it was the best thing they ever did and have felt fantastic.... I figured so many women coun'dn't be wrong.

Best wishes for you and a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-04-2004, 09:07 AM

I'm scared, too. I think everyone is.

I feel a lot like you - my problems aren't that severe, but the D&C I had in April accomplished nothing, and I know that things will only get worse. Every woman in my family has had these problems. So I decided to go ahead with the hyst. while I am still healthy and they can do it via laproscope.

Almost all my lady friends I talked to who have had a hyst, said they would do it again. One even said if she could have done it when she was at my stage, she would have instead of waiting 10 years.

Yes, I still have my doubts, but this website is so helpful, and every day I feel more mentally ready.

Best of luck! My castle visit is scheduled for two days before you! We'll keep our fingers crossed!

~TeacherKaren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register