Nerves! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Nerves!

Hi again all,

Boy, my doc. gave me ativan for the nerves but I've only used it once. Seems I can't make decisions or focus since I was told I needed this hyster. Of course like all you you probably have, I've been thirsty for information...I think I'm suffering information over-load, yet don't feel I know enough.

One site tells me that fibroids are almost never turn cancerous, yet my doctor tells me that the 'larger they are' the more likely they will turn cancerous. (family history, paternal side)

I have very thick uterine walls, a fibroid the size of a soft ball, heavy periods that last 7 - 10 days, three days nothing but flooding and clots a cyst on my ovary and cysts in and on the cervix. Sometimes I feel really good, no symptoms, then wham...swelling (can't stand to try to wear my jeans or any pants) and a lot of pain. I also have lower back pain in the mornings...

You know, man can walk on the moon...yet we women still suffer with all this. Why haven't they invented a pill for this, take it, sit on the toilet and flush the uterous away!

I find myself to keep looking for 'numbers'. The number out of so many that have clots, the percentage that die, the percentage that suffer from aneastesia (sp?).

I'm driving myself nuts.

Thanks....

Leasa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Nerves!

Oh Leasa,
I know how you feel... I was a bundle of nerves before my TVH. I had so much nervous energy that I cleaned my house to the point that my house looked like ALL OF MARTHA STEWART'S staff had been stationed here for weeks on cleaning detail. My DH finally had to hold an intervention and take the 409 away from me! I also was a FIEND for research and had a ten page list of questions for my doctor and the hospital for my pre-ops. Gathering information is a very good thing. This leads to further dialogue with your doctor. I also made about 20 pages of definitions so that in the event of any unfortunate complications, I would have some information handy and be able to look up what my doctor was talking about. Happily I had no problems and did not need any of those definitions.

I totally agree with you when you say: "You know, man can walk on the moon...yet we women still suffer with all this. Why haven't they invented a pill for this, take it, sit on the toilet and flush the uterous away!" I'd add to that if men had periods they would have made a better tampon about a century ago that would have been able to stay in longer than 15 minutes specially for women with fibroids.

Please know that IMHO what you are going through is pretty normal all things considered (and I'd say healthy because this is a big thing). I know that I went through it too, and I remember many other women were right there going through with me. Please take a DEEP breath and don't let this drive you nuts. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk. Good luck!
Unread 10-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Nerves!

Oh my Leasa ;
It sure seems you are having too much information overload!

Not that it's wrong, to be well informed is a good thing when it comes to surgery!

You just have to try to sort it all out and not focus so much on the negative. I know, that is easier said then done.
I was actually surprisingly calm when I found out I needed a hysterectomy and the circumstances that surronded it. It did help only having one night and one full day to think about it. It all happened to me very fast which was good for me!

Have faith in yourself and your decisions. Have faith in your surgeons. I can't say "everything" will go great as we are all different. The healing time is the same inside but how we feel outside is different for everyone.

Keep writing and asking questions, it will help you.

In the mean time, I am sending you 's and good wishes!

Sybie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Nerves!

Thanks! It does help to know I'm not the only one! Really, I feel like I've become bi-polar since I learned I can't duck and dodge my way around this like I've done for the last few years! One minute I'm positive, the next I feel so depressed, like a cornered animal. Maybe I should be using the ativan....but, my friend told me her mother became addicted to them! I've only used one, and that was for the visit to the surgeon. Wouldn't that be perfect! Not only do I have a terrible heavy nicotine addiction, but I can also go through withdrawl from this drug?!? Really, I can't focus! I have so much work to do, yet I can't 'get to it'. I am beginning to wonder if something else isn't going on....

Leasa
Unread 10-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Nerves!

Oh woman,
I know what you mean about not being able to focus too! The last two weeks before my big date I had people follow me around to be sure I didn't do anything goofy because I just couldn't seem to focus very long on any one thing. When your mind is racing with all the things that you need to get done before your surgery it is kinda hard to focus!
Unread 10-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Nerves!

Leasa,
I'm right there with you. 10 days away from surgery, and it's closing fast. I can't even read a book right now because I can't concentrate long enough to absorb anything. I spend hours on this website soaking in every tidbit of information I can get. I think it has been a total blessing because many things I learned here will help me recover faster. Doctors are so busy they don't always give you all the little helpful hints you need. You have to be your own advocate! Being informed is a GOOD thing. For me, the more I know, the less I worry. I would rather be prepared. Blessing to you, my dear.
Unread 10-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Nerves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylady3200
Leasa,
I'm right there with you. 10 days away from surgery, and it's closing fast. I can't even read a book right now because I can't concentrate long enough to absorb anything. I spend hours on this website soaking in every tidbit of information I can get. I think it has been a total blessing because many things I learned here will help me recover faster. Doctors are so busy they don't always give you all the little helpful hints you need. You have to be your own advocate! Being informed is a GOOD thing. For me, the more I know, the less I worry. I would rather be prepared. Blessing to you, my dear.
Hi Leasa, I'm scheduled for surgery Monday ar 8:40 am. I was told at pre-op that I could take my nerve pill at 8:30 tomorrow night. Thank God because I wouldn't sleep a wink and may not then. But I'm kind'a excited/scared I soo want these problems fixed. I think we will all do fine once this waiting is over.
Unread 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Nerves!

Leasa,

I think we can all relate to how you feel. My DH says I've been reading so much I'll know more than the doctor. I'm still pre-op so perhaps my opinion is premature. But I believe that you have to sort through all the anti-hysterectomy opinions and horror stories and realize that some books are only going to post negative tales.

I've read enough that I feel confident my doctor is acting wisely and I've been able to ask him intelligent questions. And all the great support on this website has made me feel so much better, I can't even begin to express my gratitude.

Louise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register