Trying to decide | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trying to decide Trying to decide

Unread 10-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Trying to decide

Hi, I am new, so forgive my geekiness! I have an appointment next week with my gyn for a consultation on whether or not to have the surgery. I know I should probably do it, but I'm scared. I was advised to have hysterectomy about 15 years ago, when our son was 3, but my dr. then was knife-happy, and I wasn't sure I didn't want more kids. Well, he's still our only child, now 18, and I need to do something about this. I have flooded since my first period just before age 12. I was on BC pills at 12 1/2. which, in 1965, was very embarrassing. My only relief over the years has been BC pills and my pregnancy, which was wonderful and smooth. I have fibroids, have had several D&Cs over the years, and also a tubal ligation, and I continue to flood. I take a very low-dose pill due to my age (52), and don't smoke, but I'm still afraid of taking them as I have med-controlled HBP. My doctor is great and very gentle and kind, but my mom had this surgery in 1972 at 51 years, and had a bruised bladder for years, resulting in many unpleasant trials for her (she is now deceased, so I can no longer discuss this with her) . Any input out there? I know the answer; I just want to make sure I'm not getting into a worse mess. Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Trying to decide

Hi pixiebun,
Welcome to Hystersisters! No geekiness observed at all. I am also 52. I had my surgery one year ago for heavy bleeding that was dominating every aspect of my life. I tried other things first like the birthcontrol pills and a D&C and an endometrial ablation. Non of them worked long term for me.
I have no regrets that I decided on the hysterectomy. I wanted to have my life back. I will say that healing was a slow process for me, but I wouldn't go back for anything. We each of us have to decide what risks we are willing to take. Something like a bruised bladder can't be foreseen. There are risks to any surgery so you are very wise to be asking questions and looking into this so you can know what to expect at least to some degree.
It might be helpful for you to read the article on What to do if a Hysterectomy has been recommended to you. It has good information that might help you in making this hard decision.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you'll get the information you need to make a decision you feel good about.

's, Rita
Unread 10-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Trying to decide

Hi Pixiebun,

It can be a scary time deciding to have a hyst or not. Many of us Hyster Sisters have walked in your shoes so do not feel alone.

I can suggest you research the ~different~ types of hysts before your consultation. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a laparoscopic surgery??

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Trying to decide

pixiebun, I understand that your periods are more than inconvienient. At your age, any period you experience could well be your last! I don't get the point of taking the risk of surgery when your problem is self limiting. At this point why not the go distance and wait for menopause?

Please do read carefully the sugical consent form. All of the potential risks have happened to someone or they wouldn't be on the form. The overall risks may be low but that 1% is huge number when it happens to you.
Unread 10-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Trying to decide

Pixiebun,

I can't advise you in regards to your decision but I want to share a bit about my decision. I have high-blood pressure and a strong family history of heart disease. My BCP was taken away in my 20's because of this. While in the process of considering options, which included a hysterectomy, I lost a lot of sleep. I made an appt with my primary doctor and talked to her. By talking to her, I was able to realize that I already was experiencing some of the problems I feared.

I don't know if you have discussed the possibility of a hyst with your primary doctor. I don't know if you have discussed changes that occur with natural menopause. But I think that every woman should make this a part of considering a hysterectomy. We should all be pro-active.

Take care,

Dianne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register