2 Pre-op Ques re Fleet enema +Red/Blue colors | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Pre-op Ques re Fleet enema +Red/Blue colors 2 Pre-op Ques re Fleet enema +Red/Blue colors

Unread 04-20-2012, 09:22 AM
2 Pre-op Ques re Fleet enema +Red/Blue colors

My daVinci surgery date is next Tues, April 24th.
1) The day before i'll be on a liquid diet, ending with a "Fleet Enema" after suppertime liquids. I'm 74 and have never had any kind of enema and never any constipation prob. So-
Do I just sit on the toilet and insert the Fleet thingy up my rectum and squeeze the bulb? Or am I supposed to lie down to insert it and then make a dash to the toilet?
2) The liquid diet says to avoid red or blue food coloring. Does this mean I should also avoid orange (since red+yellow=orange) or purple (since red+blue=purple)? Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Re: 2 Pre-op Ques re Fleet enema +Red/Blue colors

For the enema you need to do it over the toilet. If you do it on the bed you will need to change the sheets. Orange is fine and purple I would stay away from. Stay away from Dark color. If you can see to the bottom of it you we ok.
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM

When I do enemas I follow the directions and do them in a face down kneeling position. I get on a towel on the bathroom floor and insert it according to the directions. I then hold in the liquid as long as I can (usually several minutes) and then go sit on the toilet. If you sit on the toilet to do the enema, most of the liquid may just run out and it might not be quite as effective. But, you may want to contact your doctor's office. You may be fine on the toilet since you're doing a liquid diet. It sounds like you don't have as strict of a bowel prep as others.

My doctor doesn't require a strict bowel prep. She just advised that I do an enema the night before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM

You will need to follow the instructions on the box, which is to lie on your side and stay in that position until you have the urge to use the toilet. Abagayle is correct; if you do it on the toilet most of the liquid enema will just end up in the toilet.

If you have any questions about your liquid diet, call your doctor's office to be sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register