Not Scheduled Is help after hysterectomy necessary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is help after hysterectomy necessary? Is help after hysterectomy necessary?

Unread 01-21-2016, 08:30 PM
Is help after hysterectomy necessary?

Hello all,

I am thinking of having my enlarged uterus removed. I have multiple fibroids, which cause painful cycles and excessive blood loss (had to have IV iron therapy a few months ago). The doctors that I have seen believe that the uterus is too large to remove it totally laparoscopically.

I am not currently employed, and my husband works a lot of hours (one child away in college). My husband works nights and doesn't currently have anyone to relieve him on his job. I do not have any family in the state and no friends available to help out.

I am a planner, so I was wondering if I will need help after the surgery. With the right planning, should I be able to handle my care on my own while my husband works? Does this just depend on the individual and the method of surgery? I remember when I had my c-section 19 years ago, my mom came in town and was here for one day after I arrived home (my son was 2 weeks late, so she arrived early). I didn't have any issues, but I was 27 years old then. My mom is 75 years old now and she and she needs to stick around to help care for my dad, so she is not an option.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Re: Is help after surgery necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLS3 View Post
Hello all,

I am thinking of having my enlarged uterus removed. I have multiple fibroids, which cause painful cycles and excessive blood loss (had to have IV iron therapy a few months ago). The doctors that I have seen believe that the uterus is too large to remove it totally laparoscopically.

I am not currently employed, and my husband works a lot of hours (one child away in college). My husband works nights and doesn't currently have anyone to relieve him on his job. I do not have any family in the state and no friends available to help out.

I am a planner, so I was wondering if I will need help after the surgery. With the right planning, should I be able to handle my care on my own while my husband works? Does this just depend on the individual and the method of surgery? I remember when I had my c-section 19 years ago, my mom came in town and was here for one day after I arrived home (my son was 2 weeks late, so she arrived early). I didn't have any issues, but I was 27 years old then. My mom is 75 years old now and she and she needs to stick around to help care for my dad, so she is not an option.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I needed someone for the first several days. I was so tired and I would worry about you being completely alone. You will need help with meals and getting safely in and out of the shower and maybe the bed as well. Though this surgery is nothing like it used to be it is still a long recovery. Are you planning to have your cervix removed? That make a big difference on your recovery. If so, you will not be able to lift anything over 10 pounds. You won't be able to drive for several days either. If there is absolutely nobody to help I would say to wait until you have some help if you can.
Unread 01-21-2016, 11:13 PM
Re: Is help after surgery necessary?

Hello and welcome to this wonderful community

I think the answer to your question depends on a lot of things.
We all recover differently because we had our surgeries for different reasons. I got to stay in the hospital for 4 day/nights which I totally loved. Just knowing that I was getting the best professional care possible before I headed home was comforting. My husband and 24 year old daughter were a complete Godsend and I appreciated their help to no end. Some of my restrictions included no lifting of anything more than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks along with no driving for 6 weeks as well. I tried to rest as much as I possibly could and stayed on top of my pain with medications which I took for 2 weeks because my doctor said that a comfortable body would heal faster. Something as simple as getting off of the couch was a challenge with my vertical incision so my daughter was there to assist me. For the first little while, it was nice to have my hubby waiting in the bathroom with a towel when I finished my shower.

Others here managed perfectly fine on their own and many sisters live alone but I am just thankful beyond words that I had the help from my husband and daughter while I waited for my strength and stamina to return. I am used to doing so much so it was difficult to sit back and not be able to vacuum for several weeks for example but you only get one chance to heal.

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide.
Hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2016, 05:39 AM
Re: Is help after hysterectomy necessary?

Hi FLS3! I had abdominal surgery, and although I'm married, my husband went to work also during my recovery. I was perfectly able to fend for myself. If you have abdominal, they will probably keep you in the hospital for at least one night. You will be up and walking around. It is not like you will have to lie in bed and have people bring you things, your dr will probably encourage you to be up moving around. The only thing that hindered me was that I couldn't drive for a week, so if I wanted to go somewhere, I had to find someone to take me. I was perfectly able to make myself something to eat, clean up the dishes, etc. I didn't need assistance showering, washing my hair, getting out of bed, going up and down stairs or anything like that. A lot of people here live alone and did just fine.
Unread 01-22-2016, 08:16 AM

What are the docs quoting you for a hospital stay? I live alone with two cats and did just fine after being released three days after surgery. I think I would have been okay even if I'd been released *two* days after surgery. The first day, I was really out of it due to the aftereffects of the anesthesia and the dilaudid the hospital was giving me.

The nurses had me up to walk a lap around the ward and sit upright in an armchair for a while even the first morning after surgery. By the second day, I was walking multiple laps on my own and spending the rest of my time in the armchair reading.

Once I got home, I continued to go for lots of short walks outside and to sit upright reading, sewing and working at my computer. I had no trouble preparing simple foods for myself and the cats, washing a few dishes standing at the sink and keeping the litter box scooped. That was all I did for housework. Before surgery, I'd scrubbed up the apartment, done lots of laundry and stocked up on groceries, toiletries and household goods so that I wouldn't have to worry about shopping for a few weeks.

Tell your husband he's on his own when it comes to cooking his meals and doing his laundry.
Unread 01-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Is help after hysterectomy necessary?

Thanks to you all for responding. My urogynecologist has not referred me to a gynecologist (I need a new one), so I really don't know any of the specifics. I know that I will have to make sure I like the doctor and all that goes along with finding a new one.

I am Blessed to have a husband who does a lot around the house, even though he works a lot. He is a workaholic and is better at laundry and cleaning than I am because he is a neat fanatic. He does everything except cook (cereal or pb&j is what he has if I am not around). But, I know that I could prep dishes and there are some healthy choices near for grabbing meals. Since I don't have any family near, and only a few good friends who have younger families, it will always just be my husband and myself, and our son who is away in college.

Thanks again!!!
Unread 01-22-2016, 05:27 PM

I am 25 years old and 4 days post op from TLH. I came home on day 2 and have been doing it alone. I have had family come once a day to check in on me but i have been fine! My Dr. wanted me to stay with family for at least 3 days but i honestly think it would have annoyed me too much to not be at home with my pets recovering in the quiet.
Ive ordered food from a company so all i have to do is microwave my meals. The house was given a full clean before going in.
I am actually somewhat enjoying my quiet tie at home with no responsibilities

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register