Pre-op clueless! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op clueless! Pre-op clueless!

Unread 09-25-2002, 09:12 AM
Pre-op clueless!

Hi,
I was never really told what to expect at my pre-op other than I will have blood work done. I am having a TAH (keeping ovaries if possible). Can anyone clue me in as to what else to expect? I would appreciate any input.
Thanx!!!

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Pre-op clueless!

I am scheduled for my TAH on Monday Sept. 30th. My pre op was done over the phone! A nurse called called yesterday and asked lots of questions. She said I would meet the A man when I come to the hospital 2 hours before my surgery. Maybe the blood work done at my doctor's office in August was enough? I am getting nervous!
Jane
Unread 09-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Pre-op clueless!

WOW Jane...over the phone?
Maybe blood work and questions are all it consists of...maybe my imagination is running away with me...lol.
You are almost there sweetie! Hang in there, let us know how things are going, and thanx for your reply

Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2002, 10:03 AM
Pre-op clueless!

I had a TSO/BSO on 9-13-02 and for my pre-op I had to have blood drawn and a urine test two days before. They also called me and asked many questions. Don't worry it's not as bad as you might think. I feel much better now that I've had it done. I thought the vertical incision would hurt worse but it actually hasn't really bothered me.

Best wishes!!
Unread 09-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Pre-op clueless!

This is how mine went~
I had the pre-op doctors appointment 2 weeks before my scheduled surgery date. He then told me to go over to the castle and have my blood work done there sometime during the next few days and they took me up to the prep room and asked all the same questions they did at the docs office and then took my vitals and drew 5 vials of blood. I had to also give a urine sample.
I had to repeat the urine sample the day of my surgery.
Now remember, we are all different as are our docs. This is all some do and some have to do more tests. It just depends on your situation and your docs preferences.
Both of you are going to do great. Its ok and normal to be nervous, we all were.
Call your docs office and ask them. They want you to be fully prepared. It will help calm you when you know.
We will be here for ya anytime tho.
Keep us posted!
Good luck and bunches of s
Unread 09-25-2002, 10:18 AM
Pre-op clueless!

Dear Lynn,

My post-op was actually done the morning of my surgery. A woman from the hospital called me a few days before my surgery(9/16/02) and explained the whole procedure and told me I could come in prior to or on the day of my surgery to do my lab work. This consisted of giving blood, urine and they check your vital signs. No biggee. Good luck.
Unread 09-25-2002, 10:53 AM
my pre-op's in this afternoon

Hi lino, I just got back from visiting with my dr., I go for my pre-op at the hospital after lunch, anytime now. MY pre-op will be an ekg, bloodwork, chest x-ray and urinalysis. Not a biggie compared to the pelvic I just had at the dr.s OR the ct scan the other day. Sounds like every dr. is different in what they want done pre-surgery. I'm just afraid I'll fall apart and cry out of being freaked out for having the TAH/BSO tomorrow. I'm pretty scared to say the least. I just decided today to let my ovaries go. Was really in the middle about them, but read and read , and since i'm almost 48, thought oh well they're not going to be doing much for me soon. PLUS, I am a crier and maybe, just maybe if I can get some hormonal balance I'll stop feeling nuts.
Unread 09-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Pre-op clueless!

I took my trip to the castle last Wednesday. On Tuesday the pre-op consisted of weight, blood pressure, a few papers to fill out (lists of all meds including vitamins) and drawing 2 tiny vials of blood. Then the nurse gave me a bag with an enema in it and said see ya in the morning... I had it worked up in my head that it was going to be something huge and since I had preregistered it was a breeze... total time was less than 1 hour. Good Luck and don't worry... After only 7 days being on this side I can already tell you it was well worth the trip!!!
Unread 09-25-2002, 12:50 PM
Pre-op clueless!

Thank you all so much!
Once again you ladies have calmed my unfounded fears!
I can't believe I feel this way...I have had quite a few surgeries in the past...for this, that, and the other thing. This one is just different for some reason...maybe because I have never left part of me in the hosp. when returning home???
Roper....I'm so glad you are doing so well! Treat yourself as the princess you are. Can't wait to be on the other side with ya!
Karma....My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow! Let us know how things went when you are up to it!

God Bless all of you!

Lynn
Unread 09-25-2002, 01:00 PM
pre-op

Pre-ops are based pretty much on your medical history plus the standard blood work. Mine included an ekg and a talk with an anethesioligist.
I had a horizontal incision when I hat my C sect and a vertical for my ath, the vertical hurt much less, thought it would be the opposite.
Keg

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register