what to do at pre op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to do at pre op? what to do at pre op?

Unread 05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
what to do at pre op?

I was just a little curious. my doc said his office would call to schedule the pre op (they haven't yet...i've got a little time). Anyway, what happens at the pre op? I am sooooo terrified that something is going to mess up the date of my surgery. I have everything planned out (gaurenteed to NOt go to plan of course). DS and DD willl be in Connecticut with the grands for 2 weeks the Friday before my surgery, my Dh took from the day I am released (supposed to be) until the next week off. My little "Its Hyster-y shower" will be the weekend before. I am so afraid that I will go in and they will say, "Oh sorry mrs.Brokenparts, we can't do the surgery on that day. Here's more pain meds, we'll be in touch"
I really, really, really, don't think I could handle that. Did I mention I don't think I could handle that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2006, 05:29 PM
what to do at pre op?

My pre-op consisted of them taking my blood pressure, weight, and temperature. They explained the procedure in terms of what would be attached to me when I came out of surgery (catheter, IV drip and morphine pump).I also saw the anaethotologist who discussed options with me and my concerns. I then had some blood work done to make sure I wasn't pregnant, despite telling them my husband had a vasectomy years ago, I'd just finished my period the day before AND I was on birth control pills for some of my symptoms/problems lol Go figure!
Unread 05-21-2006, 06:44 PM
what to do at pre op?

I was just wondering, are you talking about your pre admission testing (that is usually done a week or less from the date your surgery is scheduled). Or you could be speaking about your pre op apt with your Dr.? I'll tell you what happened with both of mine and I hope it helps :-)
Pre Op Appointment - mine was at my Dr's office it was just a regular apt, they took my vital signs, told me some things I had to have done before the surgery which were a biopsy of my uterus, and a pelvic ultrasound if neither had been done in the past year. I signed the consent forms and he gave me an overall exam. They told me my pre admission testing would have to be a week or less from the surgery.

The Pre Admission Testing - For me this was done in the hospital. I went in and I filled out some more paper work (if you take a lot of meds bring a list of them all with your correct dosage and frequency you take it). Otherwise there are a bunch of questions about your health and previous surgeries. They made sure they had all of my contact info and inc. I had some blood testing done and an EKG (because I have thyroid problems).
Hopefully you will have better luck then me because the morning of my surgery I was about to walk out the door to go to the hospital and they called to cancel the surgery because my Dr. was sick!!! I was so heart broken. Luckily they fit me in a week later. I will keep my fingers crossed for you but I am sure that rarely happens, after all they are the Dr's they aren't supposed to get sick, that's what we do!! :-)
Best Wishes, I hope I helped a little.
Tara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register