12 days post hysterectomy: Exercises to start strengthen the core/abs? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 days post hysterectomy: Exercises to start strengthen the core/abs? 12 days post hysterectomy: Exercises to start strengthen the core/abs?

Unread 01-30-2017, 01:10 AM
12 days post hysterectomy: Exercises to start strengthen the core/abs?

Hi Ladies

I'm slowly adding more and more physical activity into my daily routine. Im walking about 45-60 minutes per day now and it feels good.

I want to incorporate some light strength training. Do you have any recommendations on good exercises?
What exercises would be beneficial to slowly start strengthen my core/abs?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2017, 06:07 AM
Re: 12 days post hysterectomy: Exercises to start strengthen the core/abs?

No abs work until your doctor clears you. You can't hurry the internal healing needed, and abs moves could stress the very areas which need healing. Run it by your doctor to see if you can take a pair of 2-3 pound weights while walking. Seems like that would be fine since it comes under your weight restrictions.

I stuck with walking for 6 weeks before I returned to a low-impact cardio-weight circuit (no hops, jumps, no abs). When I did return to some abs, it was VERY light abs, like the FitnessBlender.com Post Abdominal Surgery Workout and their Beginners' Pilates. That was at about 7 weeks, and I could feel the pulls.

But again, wait for clearance from your doctor. The last thing you want is adhesions causing other problems. A neighbor of mine had to have subsequent surgery from adhesions binding her rectum - by her own admission, she didn't take it easy and got back into things too soon. More surgery is not something I personally wanted !

Unread 01-30-2017, 08:12 AM

At four weeks, I was walking six miles a day - but when I asked my doc about abdominal exercise, he said wait until *six* weeks, then start of cautiously and work up gradually. My body agreed.

Ask you own doc before starting abdominal exercise. Don't be surprised if the answer is, "Wait."

In the meantime, congratulations on the walking! If you've been walking mainly on the flat, try throwing some steep hills in there for variety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Thank you for the replies. I hear what you are saying, slow down. Im just eager because i was very fit before this surgery, and Im already starting to feel strong again.
You did give me some ideas. Yes I have mainly been walking on flat surfaces, ill be trying a bit more hills. And the idea of perhaps have some light weight while walking is also good, thank you.
I live in Sweden and all my doctor said to me was - no intense exercise for 6 weeks. That is not very specific i think.

So there are no light exercises at all that I should/could be doing to help the core/abs recovery..?
Unread 01-30-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooonna View Post
...You did give me some ideas. Yes I have mainly been walking on flat surfaces, ill be trying a bit more hills. And the idea of perhaps have some light weight while walking is also good, thank you.
I was told not to lift more than 10 lbs for the first four weeks after surgery. My third week after surgery, I started practicing walking up and down steep hills. This meant I could finally get to the supermarket a mile away. Since I was beginning to run out of perishable items at home, I started making frequent shopping trips, being careful not to buy more than 10 lbs of goods on any one trip and carrying my purchases home in a backpack.

Quote:
So there are no light exercises at all that I should/could be doing to help the core/abs recovery..?
Keep in mind that you *do* use your core for things like sitting, standing and walking upright. I discovered that during my first week after surgery, sitting upright for long periods would cause my abs to burn exactly as if I'd done lots of crunches. My abs were exercising hard! It's just that the "exercise" involved was something that normally would have been easy for them.

More challenging walking - walking up and down hills, walking faster, walking with light weights, etc. - will also involve your abs.

Just for the record, I tried getting into position for a plank three weeks after surgery. Yeeeowww! I wouldn't recommend that.
Unread 01-31-2017, 05:15 AM

I agree with the others in saying that check with your doctor before doing any surgery.

Personally - I was in hospital 2 nights. My first day back home, I was capable of walking around the block - albeit very slowly. But I walked everyday, and rested as needed, but thankfully my recovery so far has been one of the better stories.

I started going back to the gym after 4 weeks, after clearance from my doctor - but I was doing mostly cardio & bodyweight activities - and no direct ab work (as 'SurprisedinNB' mentioned - you are constantly using your abs in most everyday activities anyway). Tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks since my surgery, and I am now doing light weights (low resistance / high reps) and a slightly higher intensity cardio.

HOWEVER....I am a dancer & personal trainer - so I was doing these things regularly before my surgery, which means my body isn't going to go into shock doing something it's not used too. But I have been ensuring that I listen to my body with everything I do, and have been introducing myself slowly back into things.

So whatever you do - if you have clearance to start exercising - start with the activities you were doing before your surgery. If you weren't running marathon's before, then don't suddenly start because it was a New Year's resolution. This doesn't mean you will never run a marathon, but you have to walk before you can run (small steps first.. if that makes sense )

xx starrae
Unread 01-31-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrae View Post
I agree with the others in saying that check with your doctor before doing any surgery.
Yes, definitely!

Also, before any adding any new forms of exercise to your routine, even ones you were doing before surgery.

(Not laughing at you, starrae. We all make typos and word slips, but this is one of the funnier ones I've seen.)
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:45 PM

Thank you for your replies. Its very helpful to hear your stories. I was very active before the surgery, also working fulltime within the fitness and health industry. Training and fitness is such a big part of my life and my identity, im so used to having training plans, goals and measuring progress.Training is also my therapy. I guess this is why i feel so frustrated.

Ill follow your advice. Keep on walking every day, adding hills and perhaps some light weight.
Im healing well and feeling stronger every day.

what are your thoughts on exercise bike and crosstrainer later on?
Unread 02-01-2017, 08:05 AM

My doctor cleared me for cycling at four weeks. Part of this was that I was already walking six miles a day. *However*, when you start off, start cautiously and work up gradually.

As for training goals, I had them! :-) When I left the hospital, I was told to go to a local clinic at 13 days and have my staples removed. I was also given an appointment with my gyn onc (in my surgery city) for 27 days.

I live alone and don't drive. My first training goal was to work up to being able to walk the mile to the local clinic and back at 13 days.

My second goal was to be able to walk six miles at 27 days: two miles to the bus station in my home city, including a steep hill, another mile from the destination bus station to the hospital in my surgery city and then the whole thing in reverse.

I was pleased to be able to meet both of those goals with flying colours. :-) (If I hadn't been, I would have called a taxi to get to the appointments.)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register