Someone Waiting While In Surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Someone Waiting While In Surgery? Someone Waiting While In Surgery?

Unread 11-16-2007, 05:53 AM
Someone Waiting While In Surgery?

I wanted my DH there for the emotional support. I can't even imagine walking in there without him! He stayed with me and kept me company until they brought me to the ER. They gave him a pager so they could page him when I was out. He went and had something to eat, he brought a book with him and most of the waiting rooms have TV's. It was nice to see a familiar face when I woke up.

Have your DH stay with you if you can. Just my two cents!

Good Luck to you!

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 06:01 AM

I'm another one who wanted my husband with me. It was always assumed he'd be there. Neither of us would have wanted it differently.

I think the hospital wants someone nearby in case of emergency. But it's always nice to have a loved one there after you wake up.

My husband stayed with me for the rest of the day but it would have been fine if he had left, too. I was pretty groggy for a while. If he had to go back to work I wouldn't have minded but we're retired so he had the time.
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:18 AM

PS: My DH stayed both nights in the castle with me. They brought in a cot for him. It was nice to have him there with me when I was scared or uncomfortable in the middle of the night. Plus, when I had to get up to use the bathroom, I didn't have to beep a nurse for help, he was right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 07:25 AM

My husband scheduled the day of my surgery off. I thought it might be better if he took off the day I came home instead, but he wants to be there.

He said he would spend all the time at work worrying and thinking about how the surgery is going and what the doctor has to say afterwards that he wouldn't get anything done and would much rather be there for me. It will help to alleviate his worry to see me after surgery and talk to the doctor and he can relay any info to me, in case I sleep through seeing the doc. :-)

Ask him and see what he would like to so.
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:02 AM

My DH would have an episode of some kind if he weren't there. I told him he did not have to stay during the surgery, but he is a worry wart and can't imagine being any other place. Of course, if the situation were reversed, I am sure I would be the same way. I told him that I want him to stay with me in the castle as pain killers cause me to be scared and jumpy and I would feel better with him there. At that point it is about what I want, not what he wants. My Mother will be here from Canada, so the 4 kids will be taken care of as far as having someone with them.

Good luck and remember to do what works for you and your family.
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM

Everyone's situation is different. The hospital will have no problem calling your DH on his phone if he isn't there. There are times when this situation is preferred. You will be in very good capable hands getting lots of attention from the medical staff. Even when I came out of recovery, the whole first day all I did was sleep and eat ice. I had earphones on with soothing music and I was no company for my DH at all.

This is just my opinion, but if working the day of your surgery means that he will be able to have another day available to be with your during your recovery, then that may be the best choice for you.

Why not talk it over with your DH? You will need to be honest with both yourself and him about how you feel. If he opts to stay and at the last minute you feel you really need him, will he be able to make himself available? Where will he really feel better being? My DH opted to bring work with him, but that was easy for him to do.

Lots of single women have this surgery alone and do fine also.

s,
Kay
Unread 11-16-2007, 11:04 AM

My husband has severe ADHD and sitting around a hospital for hours with little to do but read or watch tv would be hard for him. Also, he doesn't drive (he bicycles) so coming and going is a challenge for him. He's taking the rest of next week off to be with me in the hospital or at work.
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:17 AM

I spoke with the pre-surgical nurse last night and she told me I don't have to have someone staying at the hospital waiting while I'm in surgery, just a cell phone number of someone they can call if there is a complication or emergency.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register