Feedback desired--TVH for prolapse, long term problems and past endometrios | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feedback desired--TVH for prolapse, long term problems and past endometrios Feedback desired--TVH for prolapse, long term problems and past endometrios

Unread 09-25-2001, 10:32 AM
Feedback desired--TVH for prolapse, long term problems and past endometrios

I'm a 36 year old health care worker. From day one, I've had problems withsevere painful periods. Birth control pills helped some, then my uterus starts prolasping. An laproscopy ablation several years ago for endometriosis and severing nerve/ligaments helped for 2 months. Different birth control pills, ALOT of ibuprofen, onset of migraines.......

My gyn said I could have D&C, uterus ablation or hysterectomy. His final recommendation was vaginal hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries intact.
I don't have children, and don't plan on having any. My husband is supportive of what I choose to do. I'm seeking feedback because I'm almost starting to feel guilty at taking a big step to end years of suffering. I don't have cancer, tumors, cysts or other problems. I feel pretty good about proceeding with hysterectomy. Heck, I was the one asking for the hysterectomy in the first place. I asked to have a hysterectomy the day I started having periods at age 14!!!

I'm researching the surgery options, potential complications and possible long term effects of TVH (vaginal hysterectomy). Hyster sisters appears to be a supportive site and not one to use scare tactics regarding hysterectomy. I can live with the migraines if only the other problems were taken care of. Blood flow and duration of periods have been increasing, cramps increasing, and intimacy is quite a problem.

I appreciate the benefit of your experiences.

Chile Queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2001, 11:27 AM

HI, The reason I'm having both uterus and ovaries removed is because my doctor said that I could and probably would still have cramping if I left my ovaries in. They have endometriosis on them and it releases a gas that will cause cramping. You might talk to your doctor and get his advice on that.
Unread 09-25-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi Chile queen,

I had a TVH on 8-20-01 and have had absolutly no problems at all. From what I understand this is the best way to go when you have a hysterectomy unless you have cancer, suspected cancer or they just, in general want to get a good look in there for endo, fibroids, etc.. My Doc said I was a perfect candidate for TVH because of prolapse. We agreed before surgery that if he could grab the ovaries and get them out vaginally (I am 50) to go for it, if he couldn't get them vaginally, go ahead and leave them. In my case, it was the right way to go and I think this is something that only you and your doc can decide.

Best wishes to you.

:eagle:

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2001, 12:46 PM
I know where you are coming from...

Hi!

I am 37 and have also talked about having a hyst since I was 14. My problem has always been endo. I have had 3 laparoscopies and finally decided it was time to get on with my life.

My Dr. is doing a SAH(leaving in cervix)/BSO. Because of the massive endo and previous laps, he wants to be able to get a good look around and remove any endo, scar tissue, etc. that he finds. Also, because of the endo, he recommended(and I concurred) that we remove the ovaries too.

Endo and keeping/leaving ovaries as well as HRT/no HRT can be controversial. The general thinking is that, if you have endo, the ovaries should go because they can stimulate the endo(as can HRT). However, there are women with endo who had their ovaries removed, skipped HRT and still had endo symptoms return.

Gather as much info as you can and discuss it with your Dr. this a great site. You will find a lot of support and info here.

Good Luck!
Cat
Unread 09-25-2001, 01:11 PM

Hi Chile Queen Welcome to Hyster Sisters. I'm so happy you've found us. It IS a wonderful, supportive web site.

I understand why you want to explore your options before going ahead with an hysterectomy. An hysterectomy is both a major surgery and an irreversible surgery. You might want to drop into the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives message board where you'll find other ladies looking for alternatives to this major surgery.

This web-site has excellent information on prolapse:

http://pages.prodigy.com/prolapse.html/

I had my TVH for fibroids and rectocele (rectal prolapse). In my case, this decision came after 4 years of procrastination on part. It was only when the rectocele occurred, that I came to terms with having this surgery. I'm happy I did it. I had a TVH and kept my ovaries.

I can't make your decision for you, and neither can our other sisters. All we can do is tell you how things were for us and why we opted for surgery or another procedure. Ultimately, only you, based on your doctor's recommendations, can decided what's best for you.

Wishing you the best of luck in your quest for answers. We'll be right here with you, every step of the way.
Unread 09-25-2001, 01:41 PM
Thank you for the support

Thank you for the warm welcome and comments from you lovely ladies.

I guess I should have been more clear with my request for feedback. Sorry ! I am feeling fairly confident about having a hysterectomy. I just didn't realize everything and all the options for surgery unti last night after my doctor's visit. I didn't know enough to ask questions! He did ask that I consider another appointment to ask questions. I got online and found some scary sites about hysterectomies. I realize that there are considerations and complications and everyone should know them before making a decision.

This site is so wonderful! Here are a group of women willing and generous enough to share their stories and hearts. And this is what I was seeking in my query. Although I feel confident about the decision, I just wanted to know if others also had hysterectomies for reasons similar to mine. I almost feel self indulgent about having the darn surgery! The thought of the end of so many problems could be in my grasp. I also wanted to learn enough to ask the gyn on the next visit.

Thank you kind ladies.....
Unread 09-25-2001, 02:26 PM

Hi there!

A good place to start for a list of questions to ask your doctor is on the home page for this site. Towards the bottom of the home page is a drop down box for Ladies in Waiting, which has a list of pre-op questions to ask your doctor.

I had a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) a little over a year ago due to a fibroid tumor. In my case, as in many cases, the surgery was not to correct a life-threatening condition, but simply to improve my quality of life. I had no pain, the tumor was benign, and I really didn't even have any bleeding, I just wanted it out! Please don't feel guilty for wanting to do the right thing for you!

Please keep reading, and feel free to post all your questions and concerns here - we'll all do our best to help!

:usflag:
Unread 09-26-2001, 12:18 PM

Hi Th!
It is me, Joyce from obgyn.net!
Thanks for the nice note over there! I have my TVH on monday! Going to be ok! So are you!
PLEEEEAAAASE,NEVER feel guilty for wanting to feel better! There are always others that are worse off than we are. But that doesn't make the way we feel any less important. Our pain is ours, their pain is their's. We have just as much right to a good life as they do. We are all God's children afterall!
Perhaps you could tell me something, since you are in the health care field...why would they sever the nerves for pain control when they know nerves can grow back? Isn't it just putting off the inevitable? Just curious! Anyway...WELCOME and let me know when your hsyter is! Be thinking of you! Glad you found us!
Peanut(Joyce)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register