UGH! Pouring out clots! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UGH!  Pouring out clots! UGH! Pouring out clots!

Unread 08-16-2002, 10:24 AM
clots

Hi, I'm new to this stuff so I hope I'm doing this right......shoot, you'd think I'm an expert at chats and stuff-my husband is a WEB designer and started up our own ISP with his dad. Anyway...!

I stopped in to see my Ob-Gyn this morning as I was concerned about my rupturing ovarian cysts. This has been a struggle since June 2000. We tried bc pills (hated them), an exploratory laporoscopy (scar tissue caused my ovary to adhere to my abdominal wall), Glucophage. Two days ago I suffered another rupture that had me doubled over in pain for 12 hours. He says the decision is all mine, but since we have exhausted every conservative approach to my situation, a hysterectomy appears to be the best solution. My husband is very supportive about it. I don't know when just yet, but I'm sure it will be in September or October.

I recently started passing larger-than-normal clots too, and my periods are now messier and more painful. My mom also had this problem-she said her clots were atleast the size of quarters for a very long time. She had fibroid tumors that resulted in her hysterectomy in 1980 when she was 39.

The clencher was when my dr. asked me if during my period, I felt that there was a 25lb weight attached to my uterus that threatened to pull my guts out......how did he know???? Your clots are a piece of the puzzle so I wouldn't ignore them. Keep your pain quotient in check, too. I don't know if this is helpful to you, but I know how you feel. Take care of yourself. Don't discount the fact that you could be losing a lot of iron during your periods. Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2002, 12:27 AM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

I also had gigantic clots and the gushing stream of blood, only I called mine Niagara Falls instead of the Hoover Dam!

I knew back in '98 that I had at least one large fibroid (discovered during an ultrasound), but my endometrial biopsy also came back as normal, but with a lot of old tissue present (whatever that meant). The problem with ultrasounds is that depending on the location of fibroids, it doesn't necessarily pick them up. And if you have adeno, which I did, nothing will confirm it other than post-op pathology on your uterus. Adeno will also cause massive clotting and hemorrhaging.

I tried everything under the sun, moon and stars to lessen my bleeding and pain, all to no avail. Once I had my hyst, I wondered what in the world I was thinking to have put it off for so long. Of course, only you can make the decision to have or not have surgery, but all that bleeding and the chronic anemia that comes along with it just plain is not good for you. I can't describe how great it is to NOT have to worry about that mad dash to the ladies room with your knees pressed together.

Good luck with whatever you and your doc decide to do.
Unread 08-23-2002, 04:48 AM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Boy oh Boy i know what thats like. I have always had clots since i was 15. Some are small and i dont notice them others are huge and as someone said it feels like your giving birth. They were smaller and less frequent on the big ones for 5 years until 19 mos ago now they are the ones you feel and say oh god wheres the bathroom and all the way there crossing my leggs running and hoping i make it there before they fall out to the floor, my family laughs at me when it happens if only they knew why i run like that. I hope all turns out ok on your thyroid. If you need someone to talk to i can help there. When i was 18 (12 years ago) I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2002, 07:50 AM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Giofog, it's funny you mention Niagara Falls. If I were to start saying that, my family would take me literally because I only live about 20 minutes from the Falls!

I do have one small fibroid, don't know how small, but every time I have an ultrasound the tech says it's small so I'm not sure if that could be the cause of these clots or not.

I've pretty much made up my mind that once I get this thyroid thing taken care of, and God willing there is no cancer, I will aim for a hyst next summer. It takes about two months for my doctor to get it all scheduled, insurance approval and all, so when I think about it, making plans for it is only about six months from now.

Debr30, I'll let you know how my biopsy turns out. I keep reading how thyroid cancer is rare, but then it seems I'm reading on message boards where it doesn't seem that rare at all! I can't imagine how that must have been for you at such a young age. Hope you're doing well and you give me hope even if my biopsy comes back positive. Keeping fingers crossed for now, and most likely legs in about two weeks again!
Unread 08-28-2002, 01:10 AM
I can relate (too!)

Diane
well, just seeing what you have written (about your period from hell) and what others write, makes me realize that the decision to have a hyst is definately the right one for me (set for 9/26), because you seem to be describing my same experiences...yikes does that sound way too familiar...so I know how awful those bad months are which is why I decided to do this, not to mention my chronically anemic condition....I surely hope that my blood count goes up or they may not do the surgery...noooooooo! (better get my iron out!)

And, as Maralyn says, she is still waiting for menopause (at 53) well I'm almost 48 and no way am I going to go thru this misery even 2 more months, never mind 4-5 more years!
anyways, thats how I came to the conclusion it was the right decision for me...funny how I also had thyroid probs (had half of mine out years ago)
anyways, good luck with your upcoming thyroid tests...I remember that they told me it (thyroid cancer) is rare too, & that even if one does have it, it is the slowest growing type and usually completely curable (I'm no expert I just remember thats what they told me at the time).
take care
cami
Unread 08-28-2002, 11:47 AM
UGH! Pouring out clots!

Cami, that's exactly how I'm beginning to feel. I will be 47 tomorrow and the thought of putting up with this mess for at least 4-5 more years is more than I can be patient for.

Had my thyroid biopsy yesterday; the actual biopsy was very time consuming and I had minimal pain. Now I play the waiting game for the results. So hard to do, but I'm hoping for the best and prepared for the worst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register