2+ weeks post hysterectomy: Puffer fish belly & sore breasts. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2+ weeks post hysterectomy: Puffer fish belly & sore breasts. 2+ weeks post hysterectomy: Puffer fish belly & sore breasts.

Unread 07-07-2017, 10:00 PM
2+ weeks post hysterectomy: Puffer fish belly & sore breasts.

Hello everyone
I am very pleased with what I have learned from this wonderful group so thank you all.

I am writing today because I am wondering when will the swelling of my stomach go down? I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on June 19th. I still have my ovaries and cervix.
I was also wondering what the heck is going on with my boobies? Boy are they sore. Why?

Thank you in advance for any tips or information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2017, 11:36 PM
Re: Puffer fish belly & sore breasts.

I experienced bloat for the first two week very badly and for another week but not as bad. I had to take gas x regularly to help. I would swell up so bad it hurt, a lot. I had more pain from the bloat then from the actual surgery. It will get better, just hang in there.

Any chance your sore breasts coincide with your regular menstrual cycle? Since you still have your ovaries, you will still ovulate and have pms.
Unread 07-07-2017, 11:56 PM

Hi & welcome!

Breast soreness is due to a hormonal imbalance, which is pretty common post op...Despite retaining ovaries, they need to establish a new blood supply & during that time, it contributes to reduced estrogen. So you may have other symptoms during this time as well...If you can have soy, it promotes estrogen in the body. Otherwise talk to your Dr if its bothersome...

Ahhh, swelly belly, well, its not as easy to determine when the swelling will go down. It may take weeks, some have reported months. I was on the longer end as it took me many months. I did notice inflammation go down at week 5 but I still had a puffy low area above my incision longer.

Post op, there can be bloating from gas & or constipation. Thats really a separate issue from a swelly belly-which is moreso inflammation from surgery, swelling of tissues, hormonal, retaining fluids & for some the muscles have been moved during surgery. Everything needs time to heal.

Ice packs wrapped for swelling, heat pad in a towel for pains. I wore an ab binder to help support my abs..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2017, 06:42 AM

and

Swelly belly is such a common complaint post-op that it has its own emoji: It was what brought me to this site.

The article on Swelly Belly helped me understand what was going on. At my 4 week check up, I asked my doctor about it, and he said by 8 weeks it should subside. That turned out to be my timeline, though for 2 weeks prior it seemed to appear only in the evenings after daily living. Beyond 8 weeks I'd still go to the mat with it whenever I'd intensely engage my abs, like power washing the porch, heaving a 24 pack of soda over my head on a high shelf, body surfing at the beach, or doing a 5-minute abs focused workout. That last one was at 5 months.

This recovery journey is slower than most of us expect!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register