Reactions to stress | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Reactions to stress Reactions to stress

Unread 07-15-2004, 06:52 AM
Reactions to stress

Hi all...

I was wondering if any of you are or have been experiencing any stress reactions while waiting (and waiting and waiting)

I have a mild form of lupus, and stress is a trigger for flare ups. I was doing OK until yesterday. Now I have my typical lupie stress reactions: itchy rash all over, canker sores, insomnia, fatigue...
The fatigue could be from the pain... Not sure I can determine if the gastro symptoms (no appetite, nausea, gas) are lupus or fibroids or adeno or just life.... :hair:

Did I mention moodiness??? Stop the roller coaster - I WANT OFF!

This week I had planned to do serious house cleaning, shopping, etc. before my surgery... But I'm coming home from work and crashing. I'm spending time relaxing/meditating, in prayer, laughing with friends, and trying to get extra sleep...

How are you coping???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Reactions to stress

Hi, it sounds like you could use a few s

I didn't have lupus to make my wait harder but I did experience many of the same things that you're going through. It can be pretty scary waiting for this surgery and trying to second guess the "what if's ".

It sounds to me like you're doing right by getting as much rest as possible. Have you called your dr and asked if there's anything that he/she can suggest that might help?

Best wishes.

s
Unread 07-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Reactions to stress

You are not alone! My day is Monday 19th and I have been very nervous, my stomach keeps doing turns, I know I have to eat but I just have no appetite. I am also spending alot of time praying meditating, walking and just trying to relax. I wish I could get up and clean house but I don't even want to do that. Work right now is the only thing keeping me sane.

Just gotta keep thinking positive and that it will be so nice when it is all over. I think??? I Hope

Hugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Reactions to stress

I just called my Dr. yesterday to tell him that I finally decided to go through with my SVH and to start the referal process. I am a little better today, but yesterday I was an absolute mess. I was crying almost all afternoon, and began having cramps -eventhough I just completed my phantom period 1 week ago. I ended up with a bad headache, I'm sure from the crying. Woke up with a nasty North Star Zit on my chin this morning. Then when I talked to my DH on the phone, he said "boy you sound like you are feeling a little better today?" Which only made me feel sorry for myself again. I'm sure that all of this stress is getting to me -not to mention my hormones. I guess we'll just have to take things 1 second at a time....but this site sure does help me. A special thanks to everyone. And I hope you get to feeling more at ease and peace as you transition into a "Princess" BIG HUGS, Krisclynn
Unread 07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Reactions to stress

Lisa,

In my opinion, and being a post op princess, I can tell you the "waiting" is the worst part. The days before my surgery seemed to creep along for me. The pencilled in date for my surgery on my calendar just felt like it was looming over my head. Ugh.........

Just know...all us post-op princesses can "feel" your stress.

My solution for stress in pre-op?? The gym...more of the gym...and the gym. I lost weight in pre-op due to my nerves and the hot flashes from the lupron I was taking to reduce the size of my fibroids for surgery.

Just remember...some days are better than others and do not beat yourself up. I just decided to do my best in the moment WHATEVER that looked like!! If I was in a good mood, great. If not, that was okay too.

Good Luck!!
Unread 07-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Reactions to stress

Hi Lisa,
I am with you on the stress side of waiting. I suffer with fatigue and by the end of each day at work I am worn out especially by the end of the week. Most days consist of going to work, cooking tea and sleeping all evening, week-ends aren't much better.

And the mood swings..........well my colleagues at work could tell you about those. I try really hard but sometimes it is just out of my control but I do think they could be a bit more understanding than they have been, after all they are women and have experienced mood swings themselves at some time or other and I do think when you are waiting, like we are, for major surgery and our hormones are all over the place with medication etc things can get out of control.

I have very little interest in doing things I would normally do like gardening etc. The housework and ironing get done when ever and I just don't feel very infused with anything.

Will be glad when everything is back to normal, hope you are doing OK!

Jan x
Unread 07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Reactions to stress

Hi.
I hear ya about the stress I also have lupus and ITP, the waiting is terrable. I'm haveing a TAH 7-23-04 and the waiting is to much I've been very moody lately and scared and somtimes at peace with it, I am totally ready and just want this over with, The symtoms you discribe are normal surgery related and of course the lupus, I know I have to get things in order before I go in, shopping, laundry, cleaning, but I'm just to beat after work. Having lupus and all we have to really worry about getting rest, and dont stress about all the other stuff, it will all fall into place. Best Wishes to you on recovery

~Angela
Unread 07-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Reactions to stress

Wow... I am blessed! Your responses are so encouraging... I had a much needed cry while reading your posts...

I did talk with my GP about handling the stress & emotions and she just offered me more drugs... I really would like to hold off of those as much as possible. I could probably take more pain meds, but I don't feel sharp enough during the work day.

It doesn't help that my boyfriend is working 2000 miles away. I am supposed to be with him, but had to cancel because of my symptoms (bleeding & pain put me in the ER twice last month). We talk at least once a day -- but I feel like all I do is moan and groan. I'm not generally an insecure person - but I find myself feeling insecure about our relationship, about my position at work, about my ministry at church... Dumb stuff, moods that I know will pass with the next mood swing...

You're right, historylady, about the gym... The exercise does help. It's just really hard to work out when I'm in so much pain.

Today I made myself get the vac out after work rather than collapsing on the couch. Felt good to get it done! Think I'll reward myself with some chocolate!

Anyway... thanks for being there and having such sound advice & kind words!

Blessings on each of you!
Lisa
Unread 07-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Reactions to stress

Boy do I understand the stress part. I am getting hard to live with but my DH and DS are being patient with me. Today I started getting some aches and pains which I am sure are stress related. I'm even getting second thoughts about it all, even though I know the worry of ovarian cysts at a time when I'm perimenopausal and not regularly menustrating is also stressful. I just can't wait until it is all over .

Susan
Unread 07-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Next mood swing in 5...4...3... seconds!

Where's the smiley on a roller coaster???

I made it in to work... and have already stomped on one person and had to apologize, started crying over nothing, and am now in my office with the door CLOSED! They are probably out front making a warning sign... "Enter at your own risk".

Lord, please help me!!! I've got two more weeks to go... and a new boss starting on Monday!!!

After I close out of this, I'm going to do some relaxation breathing, and then get very busy with paperwork... Maybe I'll take a walk over lunch... go to the florists and buy myself something that smells pretty...

I can do this... really I can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register