Help! Itching and sore Legs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!   Itching and sore Legs Help! Itching and sore Legs

Unread 07-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Help! Itching and sore Legs

I just got home from the hospital yesterday and things went pretty good. I did have some chest pain, but they ruled out the serious stuff and decided it probably was just gas. My other big problem was this stupid itching! I started out with a really red fact, after I got moved into my room. Then it has continuedinto all over itching, well almost all over. It is moslty in the upper body. They took me off the morphine. I have sensitve skin and we were going with the fact it was something they used in the hospital. BUT it's still driving me crazy an I am at home. Anyone else?

I also am having sore outer things, just to the touch and having a hard time urinating. Just getting it started, then it kinda trickles out. Takes me awhile. If things are better by tomorrow, I think I'll call my doctor. I wanted to see what other's experiences were.

Thanks,
Missh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2006, 09:02 PM

The itching could be a reaction to the morphine. Seems alot of people react this way to that drug. Of course, like was mentioned to you, it could also have been any number of things that was used. Have you asked your Dr if its safe for you to take a dose of Benadryl? If not, I think i'd put a call in to the Dr's office and ask.

The hard time urinating. Did you have any type of bladder work done--sling/mesh/etc? If so it could be slow going for a few days. The other issue could be a urinary tract infection. This is not uncommon after having a catheter. If the urination issue doesn't get better by tomorrow again, a call to your Dr is warranted. If it is a UTI, the last thing you want is to let it go untreated and it move up to the kidneys.

Take care!
Diana
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the advice. They started me on Benadry in the hopital. Now, I'm more worried about the pee thing. I jst drank a bottle of water before bed and a glass of juice. I'm awake a 3, glass of juice and things are not moving very well.. My pain is getting better. Very, Very tired add the pain meds in with my seizure meds and I think it is exhausting me and on top of my surgery. Thanks girls. BTW, I haven't done any spell or grammar check, so please don't point them
out:-

Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2006, 05:00 AM
re: itching

I, too, had crazy itching. The anesthesiologist said it was due to the anesthesia. In recovery, before I could communicate, I remember wanting to ask someone to scratch my eyes - like a dream, desparate to communicate, but I couldn't. I lasted 2-3 days like that, but now (one week post-op) I only itch around my incision.

I am still slow at urinating, too. I just try to relax. I read that b/c they displace the bladder to do the surgery, it is common to have bladder spasms post-op for a while.

I hope things get back to normal soon!

Take care.
Unread 07-06-2006, 07:29 AM

Hello, I had itching..mainly my face. My DH was afraid I was going to scratch my face off..lol. I literally scratched the skin off in some places, and they said it was from the morphine.

As for the urinating...I CAN SYMPATHIZE. The doc. told me that they move things around and bump and push, etc. That your bladder is a little swollen. It took me about 3-4 days before I didnt have to push to finally pee. The sensation of having to go wasnt there either, I just felt pain in my bladder, that subsided too after a few days. It is just your body trying to reposition everything and get out of shock. Although uncomfortable, this to shall pass.
Unread 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM

I had the same pee-pee problem and had to quit taking the pain meds. I could not go potty for the life of me!! I called the Doc that did the mesh thingy and he said pain meds will make bladder muscles lazy and to take Motrin for pain. He also said he reconstructed my bladder, so it needed time to be re-trained, since it did what it wanted for years (leaking) I still have difficulties in the morning, but it's much better than the first 2 weeks.
Good luck and God Bless!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register