Epidural for anesthesia?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural for anesthesia?? Epidural for anesthesia??

Unread 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Epidural for anesthesia??

A friend of mine gets very sick from the anesthesia just like I do. I'm sicker than a dog with heeving and it can last a week. My friend had a hysterectomy and had an epidural and was very happy. Anyone else do this? Im having a hysterectomy on 1/29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Downy did you can go to post-op followup and read how she did I read it and she said it was great but I am sure it is different for everyone I dont even want to be awake to see the operating room
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM

Downyocean here and I say it is the best thing that I ever decided. Let me tell you why and then you can decide.

I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and my throat hurt for a whole month after the surgery from the breathing tube. I am also very claustrophobic and even though I was not aware that it was in there I did not want a breathing tube this time. I had the spinal with duramorph added and I had NO pain--- not even a twinge while I was in the hospital. The duramorph lasts for about 24 hours and keeps you from needing the morphine pump. I did not need a pain pill until I was home about 12 hours and ready for bed last night. I was given some pain pills while in the hospital but I did not ask for them nor did I feel that I needed them but I was told I needed to take them.

I had A&P repairs and my butt is burning today but that can expected. I took my second pain pill just a few hours ago and I am able to sit here and type a bit at the computer.

I think it was a great decision for me. Discuss it with your doctor and if you are having a TVH, I would really recommend it.

This is just my experience but I can't tell you how happy I've been with my whole experience. I know that I am very lucky and I know that others have great pain but this has been my experience so far.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Welcome home Kay! When you feel a bit better please give us your Hy-story. Glad you are home and wishing you a good recovery.
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:28 PM

I had the option to have the spinal block but I declined and I think it was the worst decision ever. I was scared of the block because I was getting one for my youngest DD and they hit my spine twice. I ended up with a spinal headache for months. But I was told that they use a smaller needle and it is much easier than an epidural.
I regret not getting it now because I took forever to come out of anesthesia. It took me 4 hours to wake up after my surgery. I was scaring the staff.
BUT I made it through and if I have any other surgery and offered the spinal block...I will take it!!

Kris
Unread 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM

I had a spinal and it was so much better then anesthesia. I had knee surgery and they put me completely under and it was so hard on me. When I woke up I was so sick and had a very sore throat. When my doctor told me he preferred the spinal it did scare me but there was no pain. Also all I remember was them doing the spinal and then waking up in recovery. No pain, no sore throat and no sickness.

Everyone is different so you need to way the options and pick the one you feel you will do best with.

Good Luck!!!!
Unread 01-16-2008, 08:27 PM

I was offered a spinal, because I'm asthmatic, and a singer, so I took it. I didn't know until I was in recovery that, toward the end, I had to have a trach anyway, because I was indicating major discomfort (some of my fibroids were REALLY entrenched). but my anesthesiologist did a great job, didn't use any more than necessary, and used a small tube to trach me. I had only minimal throat irritation, and my lungs remained clear, I wasn't coughing up a lot of the stuff.
Unread 01-16-2008, 10:57 PM

Thanks Kay see i actually remembered you did it that way I am a true surgery phobic I want out and out before I hit the room dont want to see any of it gives me the willies just thinking about the straps to tie me down

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register