Pcos - Anyone Have This | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pcos - Anyone Have This Pcos - Anyone Have This

Unread 02-20-2002, 06:57 AM
Pcos - Anyone Have This

I have had Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome for years and I have always had my share of problems from it. I have also been having alot more problems in the past 6 months or so. Constant bleeding with alot of pain. Pain during intercourse and after as well. I have had all the children that I want and my husband has had a vasca. in March of 2001. I went to the Dr. recently and he put me on BC pills to help with the bleeding and now I am still having the bleeding just not as bad. Also I am sick like I am pregnant. This really *****. I have taken BC pills before and I know about the nausa and breakthrough bleeding but I have just had enough. Have any of you had PCOS and had a Hysterectomy as a option? Please help me......................................

Thanks Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 07:36 AM
Pcos - Anyone Have This

Hi lisa,

I am moving your question from Post Op to another forum on Hyster Sisters. It is called Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives.

There are many ladies there who have had PCOS. I personally did not have that problem, so I am not a good resource. But, I think you will find lots of help in other forums.

Very best wishes to you as you search for what is best for you.

Blessings and s
Unread 02-20-2002, 07:42 AM
I also have PCOS and am trying to decide

Hi,
I also have pcos and am here trying to gather info and trying to decide about hysterectomy. I am in pain more than I am not and
have tried all of the non-surgical alternatives to no avail. I am anxious to see if anyone replies to your message who has had PCOS and a hysterectomy and if it has helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Pcos - Anyone Have This

Hi Lisa

Unfortunately, I have no experience with PCOS. Hopefully, someone will come along soon, with information on the issue.

While you wait, you might want to do a "search" (that's one of the little purple buttons at the top of the message boar) on "PCOS". You'll see that this subject has been discussed frequently.

Wishing you the best of luck and sending healing s your way.
Unread 02-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Pcos - Anyone Have This

Dear Lisa,

After you do a search of this website for PCOS discussions, here are some links outside of this website for more info on PCOS:

http://www.pcos.net/
http://www.soulcysters.com/
http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/pcos.asp
http://www.pcosupport.org/

85% of hysterectomies are done for quality of life reasons, not to SAVE a life. Only YOU must live with your pre-op symptoms and your post-op results, good or bad. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 02-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Pcos - Anyone Have This

Hi Lisa
I am not sure that I can help but I was diagnosed with PCOS 12 years ago. After many years of infertility we did manage to get two wonderful children. I had all the problems that go with it, weight gain, excess body hair, irregular periods (mostly non-existent)....
After my daughter was born I had a tubal ligation done and after that my periods started coming very regular. Only to start getting very painful and long. They got to the point that I was bleeding for 25 days at a time then with only a week off in between them. With pain getting extremely bad.
I saw my gyn last July and at that time he wanted to do a lap and D&C, so in Sept I had that done and he called me one week later with the result that I had Adenomyosis. As well my ovaries were a real mess with the pcos. He gave me the option of BC pill, Depo-Provera or the Hysterectomy. I knew that I had a big decision to make. I found this site and did lots of research.
I had done BC pills before and had the same symptoms as what you described and knew that they were not for me. My dh and I thought that for quality of life reasons the hyster was the way to go.
I asked my gyn if the hyster would cure the PCOS and he says yes. But you will find a difference of opinion on that from different sources. Some say yes it will others say no.
I am almost 10 weeks post op now and I can say yes this was the right choice for me. I was in pain 24/7 pre op and have no pain at all now. Sex was out of the question before, very painful. My left ovary was the worse one of the two and that is where my pain was the most. After surgery my gyn told me that there was a real mess in there.
When I got my pathology reports back, I knew I had made the right choice. There was severy hyperplasia in my uterus as well as my ovaries. Meaning pre cancer. I don't know if PCOS causes the pre cancer but mine was caused by the fact that in order to have my children it meant fertility drugs and I took them for seven years.
I am not sure if I helped you any or just confused you more. I hope this info will help you. No one can tell you what choice to make in this situation, it is indeed a very large decision to make and a difficult one since it is major surgery.
Would I have done anything different NO, I am so happy to have had this surgery, I now can play with my children and do things I could not just 3 months ago due to so much pain.
I wish you all the luck with your decision. And PLEASE feel free to e-mail me anytime, I will do my best to help.
Sending you many healing s
Unread 02-25-2002, 10:04 AM
PCOS here, TAH scheduled 3/13

I too have PCOS and have been suffering for over 6 yrs. I have dealt with surgeries, constant pain, irregular periods, infertility, etc.. I have had enough. I also cannot tolerate BCPs so that was not a treatment that I could stick with. When my GYN offered a hysterectomy I gave it thought for a few weeks then said Let's Do It! I miss intercourse and running around with my twins. I am only 32 yrs old but I cannot live like this any longer.

JoAnn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register