Fibroids and the pill, issues! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and the pill, issues! Fibroids and the pill, issues!

Unread 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Fibroids and the pill, issues!

I haven't posted here for a while, but find more things coming up that I need advice on!

I am 44, and have had pretty heavy periods the last 5 years or so. A couple of years ago, it got bad enough, along with horrible pms, that I had an ultrasound. There were numerous fibroids found. A couple of months after that, in January of 07, I had a D&C. They found a polyp covering about 40% or my uterus and removed it.

All was better for a few months, but progressively got worse. I was having huge clots, and it got to the point that any sneeze or cough had me running to the bathroom to change pads. I was put on Loestrin. After about 4 months, the periods weren't that regular, and I had breakthrough bleeding. I pretty much bled the whole month. I was switched to Yaz. I'm on my 3rd month of it, and for the last 4 days, I have had huge clots again, to the point of being scared to move. I am starting the 2nd week of the pills tomorrow, and I've just about had it. I have an appointment with my gyno today, to hopefully come up with something to stop this. I had an ultrasound a few months back, and all that was said was that the fibroids had grown.

Anyone else have advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Uodate

I had another endometrial biopsy today. I'm off the BC pills, and back on Aygestin to stop the bleeding.

He told me one option would be Novasure, but I have fibroids, and it doesn't really help. My largest fibroid is 6 cm, so they're not huge, but I think there are many of them.

I may try Novasure just in case. He also mentioned hysterectomy, so we'll see.
Unread 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Hi miloleona

Sorry you are having problems again. I'm glad you got in to see your doctor. I hope the Aygestin helps.

I had a rollerball ablation, not Novasure, but it was an easy procedure for me and I was glad I tried it. I heard that fibroids that distort the inside of the uterus can interfere with the success of an ablation, but I tried it anyway because I have a family member and friends who had success and knew it would only be a day of my time to try that route. (They tried to remove some of my fibroids by hysteroscopic myomectomy - but some of what they found were actually large nodules of adenomyosis instead.)

Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you. Here are some links that might help, or at least be food for thought as you go through the decision process:

Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group

Hysterectomy Recommended to you?

Directory of links for Alternatives / Options

Options Articles

Alternatives to Hysterectomy – Fibroids

Types of Hysterectomy

Gentle s,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Novasure

I have scheduled my Novasure for Feb. 29th. The agestin helped stop my period, but it's just as heavy as ever. My doctor is doing a D&C, hysteroscopy and Novasure all at the same time.

I'm ready for some relief, and hoping this will give me a little reprieve from the heavy bleeding. He said that it doesn't always help with fibroids, but we'll see.
Unread 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM

A friend recommended this site to me and I signed up because I need to take control of my situation. I've suffered from long-term vaginal bleeding with heavy clotting leading to bouts of anemia for the past 4 years. I have fibroids and am on a waiting list to receive an ablation even though the I've been told that this may not work due to the fibroids. In 2004 I took an artificial progesterone which eventually regulated my periods. I've been told I am not a good surgery patient due to my being overweight. The message I am receiving is that this is a common problem women face but it is not life-threatening so you are at the bottom of the waiting list. The drug Mefanenic help in the beginning to reduce the blood flow but over the years I can only assume I have become immune to it because it no longer helps.
Unread 02-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Hi alliekins. That's interesting that they say being overweight doesn't make you a candidate. I'm also overweight, and it's never been brought up?

I have found so much good advice here. I'm sure you will find something helpful as well.
Unread 02-07-2008, 01:13 PM
hyst is history, for now

Whew! I met with my GYN today for pre-op, where I brought all of my questions, options, and ammunition gathered through the help of this site. My problem had been heavy bleeding due to fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I've been on Yaz for 6 months and the periods and mood swings completely lightened up, with the exception of one period after the 2nd pill pack. Since I was completely stressed about having major surgery and recovery time, we decided everything was going so well for now, I could stay on the pill for up to two years, whereupon I'll be 52 and maybe menopause will take over by then anyway. We'll still have regular checkups and can revisit the matter if needed. For now, happy days are here again!!
Thank you all for being here for a very confused and nervous nellie. This site is the best for gathering info and opinions. My options were much more researched, resulting in a well informed decision. Wishing you all the best; good luck out there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register