Too soon for a bath? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too soon for a bath? Too soon for a bath?

Unread 03-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Too soon for a bath?

Good Morning Ladies,
Well, it's just a tad over 6 weeks now. I went to the doctor on the 3rd and she checked me and I was still not totally healed. There was still some blood when she checked. I am wondering if I made a mistake yesturday. See my legs have been hurting every morning when I wake up. It feels like a tightness of muscles so yesturday I took a bubble bath. Didnt even think about cleaning the tub before I got in cause I wanted to relax the muscles in my legs. Had a hard time starting to pee this morning but I've been pushing the water. Do you think that I was ok to take a bath 6 weeks post-op? I sure am hoping I dont get any kind of infection due to that. What would get infected if something does? Could the stich area? Or more just a bladder infection? I'm a bit concerned now.....but again pushing the water to flush out anything if there is something there.
My energy level is slowly coming back after 6 weeks. I had a hard time even forcing myself to go outside - but it's been so cold - who wants to. I have another check with my doc on March 23rd - hope all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Too soon for a bath?

Yeah, I made the mistake of taking a bath too! I have a bladder infection and on the second medication to try to clear it up. My problem started by not being able to pee, but had the severe urge to. Then I started peeing every 20 mins or so, even though small amounts came out. I was on Macrobid, didn't help, so I am on Keflex now {starting my 3rd day]. God, I hope this one works, I don't feel I go do anything because of the pressure felt and needing to pee constantly. I hope it isn't anything else wrong? I have a huge vacation planned for a year now, and its coming up mid-April. I have got to be well for that.
Vickie
TVH 1/21/09
56 yrs.
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Too soon for a bath?

Hi,

Did you doc clear you for baths? I would think that after 6 weeks it would be ok. Keep flushing your system & good luck ((Hugs))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Too soon for a bath?

I was cleared for baths at 6 weeks so I would have thought that it would be OK for you but it does sound as though you have a UTI.

If drinking lots doesn't seem to help I would give your Dr a call.
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Too soon for a bath?

If you werent cleared to take a bath and did get an infection, it wouldnt give the cuff / inside incision area an infection would it? Would you just get a UTI? I guess I'm concerned whether the inside cuff/incision area could get infected also.
Thank You
Rose
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Too soon for a bath?

I was cleared for baths week 3 1/2 to speed healing of my A&P repair stitches, but he stressed "NO BUBBLES"--it felt good!!

I keep Azo and cranberry juice on hand having had UTI issues with having a catheter post op..... just in case!!!
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Bath

So, I know I used bubbles and it's been 6.5 weeks and I didnt clean the tub first, the only thing I could have a chance of getting would be an UTI right? You dont think it would infect the incision area inside? I'm a worry wart - cant you tell? I mean, I'm not bledding anymore, just yellowish discharge. My daughter tells me to quick worrying and it's all ok but I dont want anything to happen.

Rose
Unread 03-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Too soon for a bath?

Hi!

Doctors generally don't want us to take a bath until we have had an internal check to be sure all is healing as well as it should be. There is a risk of having a vaginal infection from taking a bath too soon. Rather than worry, perhaps needlessly, let your doctor know of your concern and get an appointment to be checked.

Chances are all is well but that's something only your doctor can determine.

s
Unread 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Bath

Yeah, and of course today is Saturday and she's not in until Monday. Go Figure - right? Is a vaginal infection like a bladder infection?

Thank you so much for talking with me about this. I listened to my daughter who said - oh yeah, Its ok and I just feel like something isnt right. I am drinking lots of water and I am peeing - so that's a good sign right?

Rose
Unread 03-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Too soon for a bath?

If you question it--even on a Saturday, call the "on call" person at your doctor's office, or go to an "Urgent Care center" or what have you, if for nothing more than to put your fears to rest..... you'll rest better knowing!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register