Bit the bullet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bit the bullet Bit the bullet

Unread 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Bit the bullet

So, I had an ablation and tubal in January 2012. I never did stop bleeding and I started to get excruciating pain during my period. The doctor's ultrasound showed that it doesn't look like I ever had an ablation but I am not bleeding as much as I should either. Basically, the blood is trapped so it tries to get out by going up my tube, which is also blocked - I feel like I am having an ectopic every month basically. I tried Nuvaring (continuous without breaking for my period) but I basically traded one set of problems for another set. Now I am on the pill. Still feeling crappy. I called to go ahead and schedule the hysterectomy. I am nervous but the doc said most people wonder why they didn't do this years ago. He will leave my ovaries and cervix assuming all looks well once he is in there.

From a personal perspective, what should I expect? Obviously no cramping anymore (hooray!). I am guessing little to no period (I heard the cervix does bleed a little - true?). How about sex (libido, lubrication)? Will that be affected? Anything else I should expect or will I feel pretty much awesome and pain free once I recover? I know I am out of options, but just wanted to go into this realistically. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Re: Bit the bullet

bumping!
Unread 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM

I'm scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on the 25th of this month for similar reasons. I am leaving my ovaries, but removing the cerviz along with the uterus. I had an ablation 4 years ago, but I still bleed. Mostly just spotting, but the cramping and pain is terrible! I had an ultrasound done and it shows the lining is growing back unevenly and have a small fibroid. My Dr offered hormones or bc pills, but I am just ready to be done. Even though I am so nervous!

So sorry, I don't have any info, just in the same boat as you, wondering how it will all turn out.

Hope someone replies with some info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2013, 02:33 PM

Thank you so much! It is good to know you and others are in the same boat - well, it is not good that we have to go through this at all but at least we have each other!
Unread 09-03-2013, 04:47 PM

I'm in the same boat! Had tubal and then ablation. It was great for me for about 6 years or so but then started with horrible pain. The lung must have grown back but with me my cervix is completely scarred shut and I have no bleeding at all. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on sept 18th. I chose to have everything removed. I decided on removal of the cervix because I have seen that the scarring has a tendency to hide cancer and the ovaries are going mainly because I am just so tired of the pain and they can't rule out the small cyst and possible endo. I just made the decision to go for it! The hormone issues scare me some but .... I wish you luck !
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:11 PM

Hi misslaurie75,
I'm only 3.5 weeks out from my SAH, so i can't answer most of your questions, but you'll find ,ots of support when you get to the post op side. I don't recommend spending time there now if you're anxious about the surgery, because the most frequent posters are this with issues so it gives a skewed impression of what recovery is like. I had fibroids and a very enlarged uterus with heavy bleeding, anemia, edema, and lots of discomfort.

I kept my cervix and ovaries, but had to have an abdominal incision (vertical) due to the size of my uterus. I'm still in recovery, but my bladder is already happier and I haven't had to deal with the vaginal post-op bleeding that so many have following removal of the cervix. I'm excited about not having to worry about how my periods would interfere with work, weekends, beach, business trips, etc.

My recovery has been fairly textbook. On Percocet for the first 6 days post op, then Motrin. No infections. Had insomnia, but Doc gave me an Rx and it was amazing how much difference some solid sleep made! At this point, I usually have no pain when sitting still, but if I stay on my feet for too long, things start to cramp. I get tired easily and even though I kept my ovaries, they are wonky, which is typical after surgery - so hot flashes and emotional. Emotions are stabilizing, now, but the hot flashes continue. I think I may have less pain than those who have a total hyst because I don't have the vaginal cuff.

Haven't been cleared for intimacy, so I can't answer on that, but my understanding is that with ovaries in place it shouldn't be any issue and my drive is just fine. Lots of sisters report having their libido go into overdrive.

I should have had a period by now, but haven't had any bleeding or spotting at all since my surgery. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register