6 days post op...when can I cook freezer meals? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post op...when can I cook freezer meals? 6 days post op...when can I cook freezer meals?

Unread 10-20-2010, 06:51 AM
6 days post op...when can I cook freezer meals?

Hey all. I am 6 days post op and think I'm doing pretty good. I am spotting, but have been doing that all along and they say I prob will for 4 to 6 weeks. My question is that my doc said to do a little more each day. My meals that are being brought to me are ending tonight and I was wondering if anyone cooked their freezer meals at 1 week out? I don't plan on standing on my feet for a long time (one thing that does bother me), but getting things together that are quick.

Also, when did you all start to do dishes again? I only have a weight restriction of 10 lbs and to do what I think I can and listen to my body, etc,etc.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2010, 07:29 AM
Re: 6 days post op...when can I cook freezer meals?

Don't you microwave the meals? I did that plus dishes from day one. I didn't have any restrictions related to either microwaving, cooking, or dishes. Unless your Dr says otherwise, I think if you go easy you're OK. Always go with what feels OK or like too much, of course.
Unread 10-20-2010, 07:57 AM

I did find that doing dishes seemed to exhaust me,,and the little bit of torso twist did make me ache. I cooked from day one post op....I have always enjoyed providing for my family that way....BUT,,,,everything else I left undone if there was no time by the family. I did not have anyone coming in, and with schedules of dance x 2 DD's , soccer x 1 DS, and another lilte DS and DH having to work almost 7 days / week, I just did the minimum. I too had a weight limit, but mine was 5 lbs...I just had someone put the stuff in the oven and take it out so no bending. Try that as your one day "new" thing and see how you feel. Your body will tell you what you can and cant do, but you have to listen to it. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do not microwave. The meals would be heated on or in the stove.
I am listening to my body. It is stiff. My back (right side) is stiff from resting so much. I am not used to it. We live on a small homestead and I am busy all day every day normally. This has been quite a change. I would love to be able to stretch. I guess I'm not supposed to?

I go for my 2 week follow up in one week and will ask my doc if I can do more or not. I just pray I am healing properly.
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM

I think cooking on the stove, it's lifting the pan that's the issue, but if you slide it, and ladle out servings rather than lifting a full pan to pour it out, it should work out. I know I felt lazy not doing things but I held firm to "not doing" for the most part. Its hard being what my grandmother used to call "a lady of leisure". (Not that she ever was!).
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:42 AM

My husband has been very good to not let me over do. I will just get things started for him and he will finish the rest. My pain is much better and I am only taking 600 mg of IB twice a day. I can't wait to shave my legs! lol
Unread 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

lol on the shaving of the legs...there have been some really GREAT stories on here about that. Anyways,,,I knwo what you mean about not doing or being as active as you once were,,,but for our own good. I just got the clearance to start with an exercise program again (cardio only). Another month and I can start the weights too. I was used to going to the gym 8-10 times per week.....so the lower back now, having to compensate for the abdomen is quite sore, but I have confidence will all be ok in the end. Good luck to you.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Heating frozen meals should be do-able, as long as you're careful about lifting the pots and pans. Don't repeat my mistake of last week...
I was mindful to return the pots and pans I regularly use to the stove top after they've been washed. I was mindful to bring small amounts of water at a time to the pot on the stove to boil water for spaghetti. But then... I absent-mindedly picked up the pot of water WITH SPAGHETTI and carried it to the sink to drain it... YIKES !!!!!!!! OMG !!!!!
Standing at the sink doing dishes is actually quite strenuous -more than we think until now. Just be careful to not undo your surgeon's work.
Unread 10-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the advice ladies...lower back hurting for overcompensating for ab makes sense

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register