Terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Terrified

I am 27 and going in for TAH April 23. I have so many anxiesies that I feel like Im spinning out of control. I have had 3 abdominal surgies already so I know what the physical recovery is going to be like. I am totally prepared for that. Its the emotional and mental recovery that terifies me. I am so afraid that I just wont be me when I wake up. Is this something that I am be paranoid about? I know that if I have libido issues that can attempt to be fixed. As well as the insomnia and hormone problems. My doctor is putting me on the highest dose of estrogen she can right afterwards ( so she says ). But me being only 27, I read somewhere that being on a high dose of estrogen can cause breat cancer. Is this true? I know there is a pill for everything, so should I still be so terrified? Any advise would help me. I just need more of a piece of mind I guess. Did anyone else have these thoughts before the big day?

Stacie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Terrified

Stacie my greatest fear was cancer but altough I am older than you. I didn't wake up a different person than before just more relieved that those health issues were gone and no cancer. HRT does increase your chances for breast cancer and other health issues but you should read up on it and really talk about all of this to your dr because you are young and want to stay as healthy as possible. Good luck. PS: I cannot use any HRT so the surgical menopause hit me hard.
Unread 04-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Terrified

The WHI study concluded that taking estrogen alone will not affect your risk of breast cancer. When you think about it, you are only replacing your lost estrogen. When it gets tricky as I understand is post menopausal HRT.

A breast oncologist or gynonc. may be able to answer those questions for your specific situation.

I do know that your total risk of breast cancer is much lower even with HRT than others who have their ovaries. (my breast oncologist told me).

From what I know, I would not worry about the estrogen if you did not have a history or strong family history of cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Terrified

I was 27 when I had my surgery and I understand your fear. While I did not end up having to have my ovaries removed, I was not sure that I would not have to, so I did a lot of research regarding HRT and the risk of cancer etc. You will find that your doctor can be VERY supportive regarding the statistics for someone our age and I would be happy to PM with you about it. In the end I was able to convince my guy to leave my ovaries alone for a bit, even if that meant having a second surgery down the line to take them out. I hope all goes well and please know that I am thinking of you!
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Terrified

I am scheduled to have my TAH on April 23rd like you. My ovaries are ok so I am going to keep them. I have to decide whether I want to have my cervix removed or not. That is a tough one for me. I still have not decided. Leaning toward having it removed.
I am also nervous like you. I have never had any surgery before and have never had to go to the hospital. (my kids were born at home)It is all quite overwhelming. I get stomach aches thinking about it and stressed about all the things I want to get done before the surgery. But looking around this wonderful website and reading all the posts have already helped me a lot. It seems like all the women get noervous and freeks out before their surgery so I plan to spend a lot of time on this website the next two weeks to calm my nerves.

I wish you all the best

Helti
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Terrified

Helti,
I am having a TAH on April 20th and i have chosen to have my cervix removed. This to is my first real surgery and i am terrified. I have had the bad dreams, etc. I know this surgery is the right thing to do so i guess the ladies here are right, the waiting probably is the hardest part. This website has helped me tremendously as well, it is very soothing to be able to have other people relate to and talk to you about the things we need to know. Well i guess i've rambled on enough...Good Luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 04-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Terrified

Stacie -

With regards to the increased breast cancer risks, I did discuss this with my Dr as I am still having issues and facing further surgery. That had been my concern and she said that study followed women over the age of 50 so the results didn't apply.

I did have roller coaster emotions the 2 weeks after surgery and occasionally the following month but for the most part after that everything settled down. I think the first wave was pain pills and GA getting out of my system assisted. The second wave was mostly frustration that I didn't have the energy to do what I wanted to do. Once I could get back to a normal routine, my emotions seemed to settle back in.

I didn't wake up a different person but I did still have to face this happened to me. I think whatever your circumstances, as the 'happened to me' is very personalized, you will have to feel your way through that but its like in little drops not some big wave that wipes you out (I hope I'm making sense).

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery,

Julie
Unread 04-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Terrified

Stacie-

I am having a TAH on April 16th and I am also VERY scared. Reading through the post on this site seem to be calming me, some. As far as the estrogen..I am 32 and my doc and I discussed this. He said at this age the risk of breast cancer b/c of taking estrogen are so slim..that if I were over 50 it would be another issue all together. He also said that in the studies that say taking estrogen increases your chances of breast cancer the women were over 50 and most of the ones that developed breast cancer had a family history of it...but I would speak with your doctor about it.
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Terrified

Hello, I am also 27 years old, but my doctor informed me that they have many better options of hormones than they used to and they don't fear the risk of breat cancer like they used too.
I am also very emotional lately, all I can think about is what needs to be done before, how will I feel after, and everything just goes over and over in my mind, so I already have insomnia, lol, but I think it is a normal reaction for anyone who is getting ready for a major surgery! and I am totally ready to get there and get it over with and start the recovery!!
Good Luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register