Fibroids-how soon to schedule surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids-how soon to schedule surgery? Fibroids-how soon to schedule surgery?

Unread 01-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Fibroids-how soon to schedule surgery?

Dear Wonderful Women,
I posted an introduction, but I will post my specific questions here. I have already done significant research and will be picking up my US and CAT scan films done in the ER this weekend (where my internist sent me because of abdominal pain and distension.) The scans showed numerous large fibroids and an enlarged uterus with displacement of the endometrium. Since I have never been dx'd with fibroids and have had numerous US (I am prone to benign ovulation related ovarian cysts) we are assuming they are fast growing. The ER and consulting ob/gyn on call said that although I should discuss all options with my own doc, their expectation was that hysterectomy would be appropriate given size and rate of growth of fibroids, my age and my discomfort.

I have never had heavy bleeding. In fact, my periods stopped for 5 months last year (I am 47) and then resumed very regulalarly and as heavy as a 47 year old might expect, but no more so. Subjectively I feel 7 months pregnant, I am horribly uncomfortable, it hurts when I move, walk etc. I suspect some of the pain is muscular - supporting the enlarged uterus - and some is the displacement internally. I have some urinary and bowel symptoms.

I scheduled an ob/gyn consult with the highly recommended practice, which includes chair of department at hospital, some named local and national top docs (other recommended practice I could not even get through vm!) for January 18, 9 days from now. I am scheduled to go on a very important work trip February 16-23.

Here are my questions:
1. Should I insist on a quicker appt? (I called my internist and can work with her on pain meds in the meantime).
2. If I push surgery off until after my trip, how does one cope with this discomfort? I can't wear regular clothes, certainly not suits, and walking and moving ranges from uncomfortable to painful. Hard to imagine managing 10 hours of flying time and 3 airports and luggage, let alone day to day work and parenting. Other than pain meds is there anything to do to reduce the distension?
3. How does one cope with LIFE??? On the plus side I have a wonderful boss, all kinds of fancy technology to work from anywhere, an absolutely terrific spouse who does all the laundry and dishes and a teenager who just got his driver's lisence. But I can't focus on work at all today, despite impending deadlines, I have a special needs son in a private school who needs drop offs and pick ups and car pools are hard because kids are scattered around a big metro area... H is leaving tomorrow for an 8 day work trip leaving me with all the parenting along with a full time job and the dog and 3 rodents....
I know I sound whiney, and am luckier than most, but I would seriously like helpful ideas on how to hold it all together ....
Much, much, much thanks, Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 10:14 AM

Dear Susan

You do not sound whiney; you sound wonderful! You have truly done your homework and are seeking to plan ahead well. Bravo!

So sorry to hear you are in such discomfort!

Sounds like if you don't have surgery before your big trip, you will be very uncomfortable on the trip. If you have a hysterectomy before mid-February, though, I doubt you will be up to that level of activity by mid-February. I will let the sisters who have had hysterectomy speak to that. Be sure to look over on the hysterectomy threads as well...and/or buy the HysterSisters book.

What I can offer for information relates to one of the Alternatives ~ D&C with hysteroscopy ~ as I had one on December 1st for fibroids and polyps. Have you been told yet whether your fibroids are primarily in the uterus or whether they're growing into the uterine wall? If they're not invading the wall, they may be able to be taken by D&C. It's worth asking. Mine are all in the wall, but not too large, so for now we did what we could with D&C (I was bleeding a lot) and it has helped enormously.

No two situations are identical, of course, but I wanted to suggest you ask about the probability of being helped by an alternative.

Also, please know that although I was told I would need only a few days to recover, I really needed several weeks. So, I wonder if part of your planning for this time is to see who might go on that trip in your stead, if at all possible. In our family we always decide by asking, "Who has the greatest need?" Maybe this time it's you?

As John Lennon poignantly told us:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Please keep us posted! With your pro-active approach, I'm sure you'll do as well as anyone can.
XOXOXXX Kythe
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Thank you for reply

Thank you for your reply!
I am always on the outside of any recovery period! I had what turned out to be a benign breast tumor removed and the surgeon said I could go back to work much sooner than I was able to, oral surgeon told me I could work the next day and I was out a week... I am slow healing and very pain sensitive.

I'm picking up my ultrasound and CAT scan films today and will then have a better idea of the location, number and size of those pesky things! All the radiology report that I got in the ER said, because it was preliminary, was "numerous" and "enlarged uterus."

Much thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2006, 11:08 AM

Dear Susan,

I concur with Kythe's reply. My hysterectomy was due to fibroids and I can relate to the distended abdomen and bowel problems. My uterus was at the 16 week size prior to surgery. I found that clothes were starting to get uncomfortable and there wasn't anything I could do. I avoided clothes with waistbands that were snug (it reminded me of being pregnant-small wonder).

I considered delaying my surgery because of work concerns, but my support group (MOM, DH, and a great boss) quickly convinced me that this was my health and it was priority. I have heard many times that when there hasn't been one person to look back on their life and say, "I wish I had spent more time at work".

I am from and if I had delayed my surgery date, I would have been put at the end of the list. My girlfriend's sister did this and she has not been called in 3 years. If you are uncomfortable now, this will increase as the fibroids grow. Also as the uterus gets larger (as I understand) the type of surgery (and incision placement) becomes limited.

Looking at your situation (home), I think you are blessed with your DH (albeit the 8 day business trip) and the teenage son with a driver's licence. Those two will get you through many trials. Would it be possible to hire someone to do the driving for your special needs son?

Being that your concentration at work is shot (no doubt) try for an earlier appointment. The more information you are armed with will help you to make a decision that works for you.

This is my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps. Hang in there.

Unread 01-09-2006, 11:48 AM

I too had a fast growning fibroid that showed up on my CAT. It grew within 6months. I had a CAT on Nov 30, biospy on Dec19th (d/c) and TAH on Dec.29th. I am relieved to have all of this over with, I am will travel for business on Feb 9 for five days. I could not imagine traveling before this.

Take Care
Wendy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register