thinking of cancelling my surgery in august - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thinking of   cancelling my surgery  in august thinking of cancelling my surgery in august

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Re: thinking of cancelling my surgery in august

You poor dear...I remember feeling like that.

What kind of procedure are you having? I had a TLH, and ended up keeping one ovary for hormone use. My surgeon and I made the deal that my right ovary was definitely going (polycystic and terribly painful!), but if the left one was healthy enough, we'd leave it in.

I did go through 7 days of menopause while my left ovary was "waking up"...but no symptoms since then.

The reason I share this is because you can ask the surgeon for anything you want...it is YOUR surgery. You can ask your surgeon to keep the healthiest ovary, and it could fend off your menopause to a more realistic age.

PCOS is a concern, of course...and you'll have to weigh the positives and negatives of your situation. I can say, whole-heartedly and with no hesitation, I am SO glad that I did this. You take your time and make your decisions, but you can always make another appointment with your doctor just to discuss the options you have.

Also, something I didn't realize until I was told...there are still many surgeons that ONLY do TAH procedures. That is NOT your only choice! There are quite a few less-invasive choices for hysterectomies now. Ask around, maybe get a second opinion? For me, knowledge helped me be less anxious. I hope that it helps you as well. Wishing you all the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM

thank you elizabeth ann that helps ... yes .. i can understand ... i just keep thinking bout it ... the fact that its so far off doesnt help a bit ... i could have had it next week .. but wanted to spend my bday week with my dad n all .. now im even second guessing that ... i do know this is a very personal decision only i can make ... everyone is giving good advice .. ty so much
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:53 PM

thank you boss lady ... that really makes me feel better ... are you on HRT ? .. are you going thru the surgical menopause ? ... my pain seems to be getting worse as the years go by ...

aimtobi ... i dont know what type surgery it will be yet ... i plan to make a appt with the doc when i get back in town ... i do know that she does the laproscopic procedures .. as the scope she did at begininng of may was done this way ... the doc actually wants me to keep my ovaries ... but since they cause me such pain i feel its only wise to have them removed ... thus getting rid of the source of pain ... i know if u can u should keep one ... i just dont see it as feesible in my case ... thank you both so much ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Hey girlfriend, don't cancel yet. Give yourself some time to sort through your emotions. My decision to go ahead with surgery (TAH) in July boiled down to this question...

Do I believe that this surgery will improve the quality of my life?

Sounds too simple but then I tend to over complicate things. LOL Good luck with your decision. Wishing you all the best!
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:29 PM

I agree that you should keep the surgery date while you think it over. Check about your doctor's cancellation policy, though. I know if I cancel with less than a week's notice, I have to pay $350.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM

One thing to keep in mind when you come to this website--I think that many women who post in the post-op forums are those who are having troubles. Those who are having a good recovery generally don't feel that same need to reach out and talk to others. Don't be put off by what others are posting about! Come here to read the articles and watch the videos, but try not to get overwhelmed by the forums. If your doctor is recommending this surgery, then the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Talk to your doctor and the nurses, then make your decision. You'll do the right thing for you! ((hugs))
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:36 AM

thanks yall .. i also tend to over think things ... esp with so much time on my hands ... im gonna do like one lady suggested n stay outta the post op forums ... n focus on what will be best for me ...... i am def going to be setting up another appt with my doc to talk to her .. bout my options .. im 90 percent on board for this .. its that nagging 10 percent thats got me worried lol ... i know .. im just being silly ... cuz it will improve my life .. and thats good advice bout the cancellation fees ..... i didnt even think of that ... but most places have them in place ... so will def ask bout that too when i see her ... and you are right .. the ppl that post the good are few n far between ... which is understandable .. ppl come for help ... and advice ...once again .. i appreciate the time you ladies took to reply ... even if u think it was a simple answer angela lol ... sometimes thats whats needed for a nutted up over thinking person ... ((hugs))
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:14 AM

Morning, no I'm not on hr HRT and yes to he surgical menopause it's become a Lil better some things on dr. Oz has helped me a lot ( flaxseed for the hot flashes) maca root pills.
Unread 05-31-2012, 08:12 AM

morning boss lady ... flaxseed oil pills ? ... i take those for cholestoral ... or however ya spell that ... i didnt know it helps with hot flashes ... but thats a plus ... what do maca root pills do ? .. i appreciate your patience with my questions ... hope you are doing well ! ... hugs
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
thinking of cancelling my surgery in august

No bother at all I'm here if u need answers if I can l. I like the flaxseed granulas I sprinkle them I'm my yogurt and the macs root is for a Lil libido stimulant if you need it later, I found myself being very dry now also which the dr says is normal so I tried some lubricants from the website store check it out if you haven't they have some pretty cool repeat COOL things on there I ordered a lot of stuff for my hot flashes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register