Upcoming hysterectomy 10/28 - eeek! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/28 -  eeek! Upcoming hysterectomy 10/28 - eeek!

Unread 10-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/28 - eeek!

Hi all, so sorry but I posted this in the introduce yourself forum by mistake doh! I'll try again!!!.......

Hi everyone!

I must admit since I found out about my surgery ive been long term lurker on this site, soaking up all the information and wonderful advice that's been given.
I thought it about time that I posted!
My surgery is scheduled for a week on Friday and I think it's all beginning to dawn on me what a huge deal this is.
A bit of background I've been having gynealogical problems since I was 19 and am now 30. I have endometriosis and so far have had 7 laparoscopic surgeries, including the removal of one ovary. I was sterilized last year and had to coil fitted to help with pain and bleeding and somehow managed to fall pregnant and be miscarrying before anyone realised what was going on.

So as a result of that and my previous history it was decided between myself and 2 consultants to go ahead and have the hysterectomy.

I don't think it's so much the actual surgery that's stressing me out as it is the stay in hospital and being unable to do everything as I normally would. I have been told a minimum of two nights as I am having the TAH (cervix, remaining ovary removed etc) is that a definite amount of time that you have to stay in or can you come home before? I guess my question is what do I need to do to get home quicker???
Also I have been told that I will be using the HRT patches as it's not safe for me to use tablets as I was showing the early warning signs of a stroke when I was taking my last pill... no one has told me how often to use them etc or what type I will be on, will that be explained upon discharge do you know?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the rambling! And may I just say what a wonderful site this is, it has helped me many a time where I'm laid awake unable to sleep going through everything in my head! Xxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Re: hyst a week on Friday eeek!

I am new here too. I don't know about the hospital stay, but wanted to wish you well on your surgery. I am trying to keep myself calm before my surgery. Maybe ask at the pre- op or give your Dr a call?
Unread 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Hi Tammy!

Many thanks for your reply

Yes that's a good idea actually I will mention it at my pre op on wednesday and see what they say thankyou.

Are you managing the whole keeping calm thing? If so do you have any tips?

It's only just really hit me in the last few days and it seems to be all I can think about....

Thanks again xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM

I had a call with my Dr this morning to answer questions so that I don't make myself crazy between now and Nov 10.
I started buying things for my recovery and making a list for the hospital bag, so I don't feel like everything is out of control.
Also telling myself to make peace with the process, it is as it should be. I hope that helps.
Unread 10-17-2016, 06:46 PM

It is not unusual to have all these thoughts swirling around prior to surgery. I know first hand how all the "what-ifs" can drive one crazy.

As far as I know, there is really no way to speed up your hospital discharge until your doctor feels you are well enough to go home. Usually they check your vital signs to make certain they are stable, if you can walk independently and if you can urinate and pass gass. While none of us enjoy being in the hospital, you will hopefully be well monitored - one of their main jobs is to keep you safe and control your pain.

I agree that you should speak to your doctor now about your HRT options - this is especially important considering your medical history. Many doctors do not start their patients on HRT right away, so definitely ask your own medical team what their plans are for you.

Staying calm is challenging. I found it helpful to make written lists of my chores and errands to help me prepare for surgery - it made me feel more in control. Make certain to make time for yourself to do things that you enjoy - reading, shopping, movies...indulge in activities that reduce your stress and distract your mind positively. Spend quality time with positive and supportive people. Listen to music, try yoga, walk - anything you enjoy that relaxes you.

Hugs and very best of luck. You can and will do this
Unread 10-18-2016, 02:42 AM

Hi,

Thankyou both for the great advice, will definitely make a to do list today and tick them off one by one as like you say it will help feel more in control of the situation

Unfortunately I'm unable to speak to my gynaecologist until the morning of the surgery now as that just seems to be the way it works here.... I can speak to one of the nurses at my pre op tomorrow regarding discharge etc but won't be able to discuss HRT and my local GP isn't in the loop with my upcoming surgery as it is all done through the hospital. I'm pretty sure the 2nd opinion consultant that I saw told me that I would have a patch put on immediately upon waking after the op and then see him specifically in the menopause clinic 6 weeks post up to see how I'm managing but then at my last consultant appointment (the one whos actually performing the surgery) said that he was unaware of the plan for HRT so will give me a prescription for the patches upon discharge... it's all rather confusing and frustrating in the sense that we do not have a direct open line of communication between us and the consultant unless you have an appointment booked in advance. I'm guessing that you lovely ladies are in the USA? Is that how you are able to call and speak to your consultant directly when needed?

Hope you are keeping calm Tammy as you sound like you're doing a great job of taking your mind off it and focusing your energy in being organised it's a great day to do it.

Thankuou again for all the wonderful advice I feel so much less alone!

Xxxx
Unread 10-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/28 - a week on Friday eeek!

Yes I am in the U.S., i am sorry you can't get an answer, maybe the nurse will have some more info. My preop appt is 2 days before the surgery, so by then I would have made myself nuts. Here are some helpful things my doctor told me:
Try to make peace with the whole situation - the calmer I can be the better I will recover.

Have a good attitude about recovery - it's going to hurt, but make sure I walk often, treat it like a checklist,
pain meds-check, walk - check. Etc.

Leading up to the surgery focus on eating good. She said I could take a multi vitamin, but would prefer I try to get nutrients from food. So I have been eating, grape juice, walnuts, kiefer, carrots, green veggies etc. it helps me to focus on something else - that might have been her intention. It also helps me to feel involved.

I hope this helps - each of us are different in our worries, fears, etc, so you have to find what works for you.
Unread 10-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Hi Tammy,

Apologies for the late reply I've not been feeling too well typical eh.... I'm hoping it goes before Friday as I can't face the op being cancelled and have to wait again it's been torture waiting since July.....

That's great advice thankyou for that, definitely the checklist thing is a brilliant idea! Yes I did think about vitamins too as I'm not a great eater (well I eat a lot but quite a bit of junk and convienience food which is probably not healthy enough!-some of the things you mentioned I haven't even heard of before, talk about inexperienced when it comes to veggies!)

I've started my checklist and done a few lists for hubby and kids when I'm away as I'm actually panicking more about them managing while I'm not here instead of the actual operation! I've also started packing my bag and made a list of things I've still got to get so that's helping me feel a bit more in control of the situation so thankyou for the great advice.

These past few days have flown past I just hope I start getting over this cold and cough quicksmart!!!! At the pre op they said to still come if you have either and it will be at the discretion I the hospital if it is cancelled so I really am hoping I'll be loads better by Friday fingers and toes and everything else crossed....

Xx
Unread 10-23-2016, 04:28 PM

We all have so much on our plates right now, no need to apologize. I hope you are feeling better by Friday.

I had a bout of hysterics this past week that lasted a day, lol. I have a business trip the week before my surgery which will either keep my mind off the surgery or will be a disaster because I won't be able to concentrate.

I hope your surgery goes well and recovery is a breeze.
Unread 10-24-2016, 03:53 PM

Hiya,

Thankyou, fingers crossed this cough starts shifting too as I can't imagine it will be comfortable coughing after surgery!!

Aw bless you I think it might do you good with having the trip the week before your surgery as it will definitely keep you occupied, especially with it being a business trip you will be forced to be professional lol!!! Fingers crossed for you!

Wishing you all the best for a stress free operation and speedy recovery

Xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register