How long will surgical menopause last? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will surgical menopause last? How long will surgical menopause last?

Unread 10-06-2006, 06:50 AM
How long will surgical menopause last?

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if there was a clear answer?! And I realize there is no such thing - every woman's body is different, etc. - but it seems like there should be some trend, if not consistency, with this.

I think someone needs to do a study on this: compare "natural" menopause with and without HRT to "surgical" menopause with/wout HRT. Of course, there could have been studies that we just haven't heard about.

Maybe this falls under one of those issues that if it happened to men there would have been 100 studies on it by now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2006, 08:03 AM

Hahaha -- I think you nailed it, Perch!

Maybe this falls under one of those issues that if it happened to men there would have been 100 studies on it by now!!!
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM

Hi, I had a TAH/BSO 4.5 years ago, and because my mother is a breast cancer survivor, really couldn't (without being personally petrified) go the estrogen route. I still get hot flashes and night sweats, but not even 1/10th of what I experienced the first few years. I do continue to take a vitamin 'cocktail' and use "Progest" proesterone cream. So with time, your symptoms will lessen. But every woman is different. Some have hot flashes into their truly 'golden year's.
Good luck! And make the decisions best for you and your situation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2006, 03:41 PM

I have read that not just our ovaries make estrogen. Estrogen can be produced in other parts of our bodies. I have hot flashes night and day. I have no ovaries. I had my hysterectomy almost 2 years ago. I started out on the patch. I have been off the patch for about 3 months. I went off slowly.

The thing that I hated was the cellulite. I started getting lumpy thighs and bottom right after surgery. As soon as I stopped the HRT my cellulite went away. I also exercise, take soy, vitamins (including flax seed oil), and a combination tablet made for menopause support.

There are days that I feel weak and other days that I feel great. I am fifty four and I was not in menopause before my hysterectomy. My mom went through menopause mid fifties.
Unread 10-08-2006, 03:47 PM

Hi,
great topic, I am 2yrs post TAH/ BSO, started HRT for first few weeks and it just didn't agree with me, so have now been totally off HRT altogether. I'm only 35 and have bad flashes throughout the day, however i feel great and can cope( Hold on.......... Cardigan off, Cardigan on, Cardigan off!!!! Not to mention the Duvet problems at night... I think it helps if you leave one leg out!!!!) .

Joking aside, I figure, what is worse potential Osteoporosis or potential breast cancer............. I think I may cope with the first one better!!! I do alot of lifting and resistance work, so hopefully I'll keep my bones healthy.

What surprised me, is that i have some friends in their eighties, and they still have hot flashes as bad as mine!!!!! Hrmphh!!! I'd better get used to them!
Unread 10-09-2006, 05:55 AM

Yes, I have realized already that cardigans and zip hoodies are my best friends now! Sometimes I just take one arm out to "regulate" . . . my husband thinks I am crazy!! (Actually, I think he is getting a kick out of it.)

I always kind of slept like that anyway - one foot/leg out, back in, etc. So that part isn't new. I had to take the flannel sheets off the bed, though . . . it may be a LONG time before those sound like a good idea.
Unread 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
No Hormone HELL

Hi Perch, just stumbled back to thi site, after a long break. Have instantly been drawn to your post cos Im in No hormone hell, & I cant seem to find anything out either. Ive been told I should take HRT till Im 55yo. I had Hysto when I was 34, had ovaries out when I was 42. Im 45 now. I just cant seem to work out how healthy that may be taking HRT for that long. Everything Ive read says it should be taken for a couple ofyears only. I lasted 2 yrs, but it kept changing, I was never right, so stopped all together, thinking that HRt was doing me more harm than good. My symptoms started 3 days after ovaries were removed. Now, the fun really started. I have likened myself to a junkie going cold turkey, my symptoms are broad & vary I go to a chinese herbalist gyno, who specializes in this. If hes helping, Id hate to see what id be like without it. Its been 6 mths with that. Ive been told a year will see me better. Im counting the days. What worries me most is what affect this is having on my health, as we dont produce anything, no gradual menapause for us. HRT is supposed to help the heart, keep osteo at bay etc, so if we arent getting any, what harm are we doing?????
Im so confused, as Im miserable now but was miserable on HRT too. Help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM

I just googled the question "how long can I expect hot flashes to last" and found this discussion. I was SO glad to find people who have the same thoughts and questions that I have. My doctor doesn't seem to understand me when I ask. My hysterectomy was 14 years ago, and I've been on HRT most of that time. Afraid to continue and afraid not to continue. When I got off HRT for a year or two, hot flashes were almost disabling. I've just decided again to try it without HRT, and don't know what to expect, but I'm worried, which I now understand only increases the likelihood that I'll have hot flashes. If anyone has found anything that really works for them, I'd appreciate the info.
Unread 10-17-2006, 04:04 PM

To What the heck --- I just happened to log on when you signed up and saw that you were the 100,000th member to enroll! Don't know if anyone else saw that. Anyway, welcome!
Unread 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM

Gee it would be nice to get maybe some useful information wouldnt it? I just cant believe in our modern society we are still flailing around in the dark like this - ****ed if we do, ****ed if we dont. I have no respect for doctors, or their studies. I mean, dehydration alone must be a problem. I dont think I could drink enough water to cover the amount of sweat I lose LOL. I have no magic cure but Im sure it will ease eventually, just hope Im still kicking to take advantage of it. Try acupuncture maybe? I havent but Id love to hear if anyone has had success.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register