Finally Got the Nerve | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally Got the Nerve Finally Got the Nerve

Unread 06-01-2002, 10:23 AM
Finally Got the Nerve

Hello
I found this website a few days ago and have been reading all your advices and experiences. I finally got the nerve to log in and ask for help. It seems like most of you are young and trying to cope with surgical menopause. Are there any other old foggies out there who have put this off until their menopausal years?
I am 55. 20 years ago I had several surgeries for endometriosis causing infertility. I was fine for many years but about 8 years ago (when I should have been starting menopause) I had trouble with HEAVY bleeding. I did not want any more surgery so just kept putting up with it. A couple years ago I had abnormal paps and endometrial biopsies. Had some treatment, but still put up with it.
We just moved to Florida (happy retirement, huh?) so I am unfamilar with the drs. Went for my ck up but 2 weeks later started bleeding and did not stop. Went back, there was a polyp but she did another endo biopsy. Pathologist could not tell whether cancer or not , so sent it to another path. After FOUR phone calls to dr.(she did not have the courtesy to call and tell me if CA or not) I found out, it was just a progression of the hyperplasia. Decided not to fool around anymore, scheduled a hysto for JUne 3. Then I found out my mammo was abnormal (my mom has had breast CA in both breasts - 2 mastectomies) so I needed to see a surgeon. I did not want to fool around with the drs in this hokey county so I went to a large medical center in Tampa. LOVED the dr. He wants to do breast biopsy so I wanted both done together - you know, ONE anesthesia! This was yesterday. He is going to find me a new gyn to do hyst and he will do breast. Sound like fun, girls??????????? I do not know new date but will be within the next 3 weeks. But I feel relieved to be rid of the first dr and to have found the second. I am acutally not as nervous. Anyway, HRT is another question: with the breast part, I may not be able to take so that worries me too. Any encouragement will be greatly appreciated.
And thanks for all the good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 10:58 AM
HI Cah!

I don't know if in age years I qualify as an "old foggie"...I'm 39 but right now I'm 2 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO plus removal of a 5 inch mass so I'm feeling kinda up in years right now! It doesn't sound like you've been starting your retirement out on the right foot. Perhaps I can help in another way. I see you're from Central Florida. I lived in Sanford for almost 20 years. My husbands family lives in DeBary, Lake Helen, Enterprise and Deltona and have FOREVER! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both nurses and my sister-in-law works is an OB/GYN nurse. I'd be happy to see if she knows your dr and get any inside info if you'd like. Just email me his name and I'll see what I can do for you. Peace of mind is so important during all this and you need to know and trust your dr. Keep looking to this website because there's some very valuable information here!
Good luck!
Unread 06-01-2002, 11:03 AM
Finally got the nerve

Cah,

I am younger, 42, but I am in the process of taking Chemo and have had radiation for breast CA. I had a TAH/BSO on 5-7-02. Will start chem back soon, just a precautionary measure because still showing pre-cancerous cells. You might talk to your doctor about Ductal levage, it shows the cancerous cells earlier.

My team of doctors agreed to put on HRT even though my cancer was estrogen positive. They felt that becuase of my age it would be better than the menopause symptoms. They are monitoring me very closely, blood work every week, however there is a growing believe that HRT can be given for breast cacner patients if necessary just monitor closely.

Hope this hleps! Please talk to your doctor and see what how he feels, that is your best source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2002, 01:42 PM
I am the duaghter of a breast cancer survivor

And was leary about HRT issues as well.
My perimenopausal symptoms (started at age 33) were so bad I was on some hormones for a short time, but stopped them thinking about Mom.
Well I had a TAH/BSO and was very frightened about going on HRT due to family history. Time to start researching...everything!
That was when I found this fabulous life boat called "Hyster Sisters"
The information has proved so incredibly valuable to me!
I went to some of the various links and found one about breast cancer and HRT, there still is some controversy and a lot of grey area as far as taking HRT or not.
But it seems that if the CA is estrogen fed...it actually shows up faster when on HRT than not and has a much higher success rate in it's treatment.
I don't know if that helps you, but I found it very comforting in my case.
I wish you all the best and welcome to the Sisterhood!
We are all in this together!!
s and s
Janet
Unread 06-01-2002, 04:21 PM
Finally Got the Nerve

Hi Cah,

Well, I definitely fit the "old foggie" definition - I'm 56 and was 55 when I had my hyst. (although most of the time I don't really feel all that old).

I also live in Central Florida (Kissimmee). Before I forget - here's a link to the Florida neighborhood board - drop in and say "hi" there, too. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=59

I was going through menopause when I had to have my hyst for prolapses. I also have osteoporosis, and there is a history of breast cancer in my family. So - I had to make many of the same decision you are facing. In my case, I decided to take HRT - I felt that the benefits outweighed the risks.

It sounds as if you've found an excellent doctor, and I'm sure that he will help you with your final decision.

Please keep on reading and posting, and let us know what you decide.

's
Karen
Unread 06-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Finally Got the Nerve

Cah,
I don't consider myself an old foggie, but I am 51. My hyst is scheduled for Tuesday. I'm in the very early stages of perimenopause. I have adenomyosis with very heavy bleeding with clots and painful periods. I'm counting the hours! 66hours to go!!!!!!! 1pm on Tuesday

TC

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register