hysterectomy for prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy for prolapse hysterectomy for prolapse

Unread 05-04-2004, 06:52 AM
hysterectomy for prolapse

Hi, My Dr. suggested that I get a hysterectomy for prolapse last time I had my pap (last month). After telling me about it I was ready to make the appointment, he was so up beat about it, like it was no big deal. He said that I wouldn't go into menoause because he would leave my ovaries, and I wouldn't have anymore periods. I liked the sound of that. He said that it wasn't urgent right now, but it would probably become necessary in my 40s or 50s, because I have weakened control over when I have to go to the bathroom. (#1) Sorry I can't figure out a better way to describe it. So I figured, well, lets do it now because I will be able to heal better now, than I would later. But I talked to my friend and she discouraged me from it because she heard some bad things about it. So I bought a book which told some really scary and sad stories of hysterectomies gone wrong. These women went through such pain, and then got the hysterectomy and still wished they hadn't. I am not in pain, my pap came back normal, sex isn't painful, it's just frustrating because it is so loose and kagel exercises don't seem to help. I do bleed heavy but only for 1-2 days and then my period almost stops, I just figured that was a result of being on birth control for 18 years and then stopping after my husband got his vasectomy. And of course it feels like something is coming out of my vagina a little and I just wish I could get it to go back up and then maybe I could get the kagel exercises to work. Then I wouldn't have the bathroom accidents. When I was talking to my friend that was discouraging me from getting the hysterectomy, she told me that she new someone that got their uterus tied up, that sounded good, after the horror stories that I read about about what removing my uterus would do to me. So I asked my Dr. and he said that since I don't want any more children that I should have the hysterectomy because tying up the uterus doesn't last very long.

So I guess I said all that to ask these questions:

Will I go into menopause if he leaves my ovaries?

Does it make a difference if he leaves my cervix?

Can I still have orgasms?

Will I even want sex?

Will it even help me with my bathroom problem or make it worse?

Can I easily tighten up my vagina after I have it (if I do)?

Will I be a different person, will I fall into depression?

Are there any alternatives to taking my uterus?

Sorry there is so much info here, I am just confussed.

Thanks,
Peakajean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
prolapse surgery

I had surgery 14th April although I didn't have problems with my bladder my cervix was starting to push outside my vagina and I suffered with bachache and terrible pressure as if it was going to fall out. My doctor recommended a hysterectomy which I accepted at first but like you started to read things. I got a 2nd opinion and had a repair op instead.I had an abdominal coldeplesty, anterior repair, and ventro suspension. The 2nd Dr was still trying to pursuade me to have a hyst but I had read that other organs can prolapse one the uterus and cervix were removed e.g. bladder,bowel and vagina. Also I read it affects your sex life re. orgasm's. Also even if your ovaries are left behind they can sometimes stop working.
The dr couldn't tell me which was more sucessful hyst or repair. He the the repair was only normally done on women who had not finished having children. The though of that choice made me sad even though I probably won't have more as mine are 18 and 21 now.
I am 43 yrs old. This was a great shock to me as I've felt quite young and fit for my age.
Hope this helps a little.
It's still early days for me 3 weeks tomorrow since my op.Things still feel strange and I'm worried about it coming back.
Unread 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM

Hi Peakajean and welcome!

You are asking a lot of great questions. Although I didn't have my hysterectomy because of prolapse problems, you'll find many women here who have been in your situation. I'm sure some of them will be along shortly to share their experiences.

Meantime, here's a link to our Resources Forum where we have great information on a wide variety of topics, including prolapse. Use the search function at the bottom of the page - search on "Prolapse" and you'll see a list of resources on this topic.

Resources Forum

To answer your questions:

If you leave your ovaries, there is a good chance you won't go into menopause after having a hyst. At some point you will, due to aging, etc. but it would be a "natural" menopause. There is also a chance your ovaries will fail after having a hyst and you could go into menopause right away. This is not the typical experience, but it could happen if the blood supply to your ovaries is compromised.

Cervix - yes, it makes a difference. Generally the cervix is always removed if you have a vaginal incision. Some women find that they lose important sensations during intercourse when they no longer have a cervix. Others don't notice a difference. If you keep your cervix, you could experience mini-periods, especially if you keep your ovaries. Cervical cancer continues to be a possibility as well.

Orgasms and sex - some women report no diminished libido and no problems with orgasms after a hyst. Others struggle with both issues. There's really no way to predict what your situation will be. Most women do well and are happy with their orgasms, etc. but some are not as fortunate.

A hyst should solve the prolapse problem, but be prepared to practice Kegel exercises to help maintain vaginal and pelvic muscle control/strength.

Depression after a hyst - it's a possibility. Some women experience depression for a short time as they adjust to having had major surgery, but then they do fine. Most women do not experience long term depression as a result of having a hyst.

Alternatives to a hyst - yes. I highly recommend that you get at least one other opinion before making a final decision about surgery. There could be several viable alternatives for you - but only YOU will have to live with this decision, so keep asking questions and make the decision that feels right for you.

Keep us posted on what you decide. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2004, 12:34 PM

Dear Peakajean:

Welcome to HysterSisters I think your next step should be to seek out a 2nd or 3rd opinion. A uro-gynecologist would be a good choice to help address your urinary incontinence issues.

As Beth said, our Resources Directory has some good links to prolapse websites, some of which have message boards also. It's my understanding that the resuspension surgery (to hitch all your parts back up) usually lasts about 5 years... the gals at the prolapse websites would have more info on that.

As a prolapse victim, keeping your cervix may not be an option with a hyst... after all, it IS a part of the gravity problem

Things that contribute to prolapse: over age 40, post-vaginal childbirth, heavy lifting, and extra weight. Kegels can't do much to fix what's already happened... they are more a preventive exercise, but all women should do them for life. Here is a link to info on kegels: http://www.universityobgyn.com/kegal.htm

Keep asking questions and doing your research... ultimately, only YOU must live with your choices, good OR bad.

I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register