Should I request 2nd Ultrasound for fibroid? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I request 2nd Ultrasound for fibroid? Should I request 2nd Ultrasound for fibroid?

Unread 10-22-2000, 02:55 PM
Should I request 2nd Ultrasound for fibroid?

Hi, this is Bernie again with that 7 cm. fibroid. Next Tues. 10/31 I finally get to see the ob/gyn for the first time since I had the ultrasound discovering the fibroid. My decision pends on if my fibroid is growing and if my symptoms will improve and heal with time. It has been 6 weeks since my ultrasound. Could a fibroid have grown a noticeable amount in 6 wks?

I am 44 years old, have a full nest of three great kids and a kind husband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2000, 03:23 PM
Oh good - a question I can help with!

Yes - a fibroid CAN grow that fast. I'm not sure if its the norm or not, but mine did. I first found out about mine in June and supposedly had 2 - 1 3cm, and 1 5 cm. In September I switched doctors and he wanted to have another one done and found out that I now had 5 fibroids and my uterus had grown 2 inches. Well, last week I had my myomectomy (to take out just the fibroids) and still had 5 fibroids, but they'd even grown some more - w/ the 2 biggies being I think 10 cm and 7 cm. Good riddance I say!

I didn't have the "full nest" of children - none yet, so I wasn't interested in the hysterectomy that was originally suggested if I could help it. If I was finished, I'd love the comfort of no periods and knowing they wouldn't come back, but meanwhile I'll just trust that the Lord will let them stay away forever or until at least I don't NEED my uterus anymore.
Unread 10-22-2000, 03:41 PM
Question concern Myomectomy

Are adhesions of scar tissue to other organs a concern, or is this rare?

This may inform my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2000, 04:00 PM
Not sure

I think some of that depends on what kind of scar former you are. As far as the condition of my other organs, the doctor said everything looked great - even with the fibroids being that big - I half-way suspected that they'd have damaged other organs, but no! As far as adhesions, I really can't answer - to me it wasn't an issue because I KNEW I needed to lose the pain those things were causing so I didn't ask that much about it. I've had knee surgery before and have a really pretty scar so I didn't think it'd be a problem w/me. My sister on the other hand is definitely not a good scar former, if I was her I'd have been more concerned about it - reasonable or not.
Unread 10-23-2000, 10:40 AM
Should I request 2nd Ultrasound for fibroid?

Yes, you can ask for another ultrasound. I did several times to monitor their growth. My fibroid was about your size and a hyst was recommended. After doing research, I decided I did not want to subject my body to a major surgery, unless I absolutely had to. There is usually no hurry with fibroids, even if they are growing some. Mine were growing. I changed my diet, increased my exerices, did some guided imagary etc. My fibroids are shrinking and at least for now I am avoiding surgery. Fibroids can grow to a certain point, then stop growing (from Dr. William Parker's book, A Gynocologist's Second Opinion.) It is an individual choice. Just do your research and get another opinion. Good Luck!
Gayle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register