Questions, questions, questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions, questions, questions Questions, questions, questions

Unread 01-22-2001, 04:36 PM
Questions, questions, questions

This may get a little long so I can explain my history, so bear with me please.

I had had abnormal pap smears for 4 years and finally switched docs to someone who would do more than just watch and see. New doc did colposcopy with biopsies. Biopsies were unconclusive(original pap smears were ASCUS). Doc did cone biopsy Dec 1999(removed inner 2/3 of my cervix. That also was inconclusive. I have had paps every three months and just graduated to every six months. Doc has told me all paps since cone biopsy were"normal"

Monday at my annual exam, he would not renew by birth control (Depo Shot) because of a link with blood clots, which i have a hystery of. He discussed subal ligation, and said"I haven't been able to get a good sample of the inside of you cervix since the cone biopsy and during the tubal while you are under general anesthesia I could dilate the cervix and get a good sample." I took this to mean he had at least been able to get some kind of sample from the inside. Today I talked with the nurse because I am wondering what will happen next year when he needs a good sample. She told me my paps have been "limited by a lack of endocervical cells" WHich means doc has not been able to get a sample at all from inside cervix so we are back to not really knowing what is there(It was determined the ASCUS is caused by HPV which never goes away)

SO after all that, here is my question...would it be better to have a hyster? It would kill 2 birds with one stone: it would take care of the birth control issue(I have no other options and don't want any more children.) and relieve my constant worrying that there is cancer hiding inside my cervix that the doc can't get to.

My other questions are about the hyster itself. I am worried about losing the ability to orgasm. I am worried about recovery and time lost from work, I am worried about post op pain, etc, etc, etc.

If someone one could give me some insight on this, I would gratly appreciate it. Doc is going to call me when this pap comes back and I guess we will make a decision then. I am leaning towards asking for a hyster just to have some peace of mind about the cancer. There is a heavy family history of cervical and uterine cancer in my family.

hope someone can help me. SOrry so long.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2001, 10:26 AM
Questions, questions, questions

Hi Kim,

I don't know the answers to your questions. You would probably benefit from getting 2 or 3 medical opinions. You may also wanna post this on the Cancer Concerns board to get some more viewpoints.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

Sending cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register