Pain meds after hysterectomy: what kind and for how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain meds after hysterectomy: what kind and for how long? Pain meds after hysterectomy: what kind and for how long?

Unread 09-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Pain meds after hysterectomy: what kind and for how long?

Hey there,
I had my surgery on Monday - almost a week ago. I was prescribed T3's and diclofenic sodium suppositories. Today I tried to go without taking any meds. but I had to take something tonight; I'm so sore. But I also was busy today. Showered - went for a little walk around the acreage, my friend picked me up and we drove 15 mins to town,
Hung out at her place, went to a store, went to a birthday party at a park, went to a grocery store and then back to her place to hang out. And then drove the 15 mins back to my boyfriends. I'm actually proud of how well I did. But I'm pretty sore tonight, which really is no surprise.

I'm curious how long other ladies took pain meds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Re: Pain meds after hysterectomy: what kind and for how long?

Hi Trish, so cool to see that you are also from Alberta, Edmonton here

I was in hospital for 4 days & 4 nights and took Tylenol 3's and Voltaren for 2 weeks from the day of my surgery. I think everyone's pain medication routine will be as unique as the surgery performed. Happy healing to you!

Take care
Unread 09-21-2014, 01:43 AM

I had my surgery on the 12th and they prescribed Tramadol but it made me feel like bugs were crawling on me so I ended up taking just Motrin and Tylenol in between. Sounds like you are busy out and about Trish. I went out for the first time today and was able to go to a restaurant and one store before I knew I hit my limit and was getting tired. Not feeling any more pain just get tired faster but then again, it's only been 9 days post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2014, 02:18 AM

Hi Trish, I'm Tabitha. I just had my surgery the 18th. Whew! Complications during surgery, internal bleeding. Almost needed a blood transfusion! Wound up being more extensive. Dr took EVERYTHING. (I'm 45) My surgery took twice as long as expected and scared the bejesus out of my husband when the Dr FINALLY called him 5 hrs after my surgery started.
Anywho, I just woke up, took my Percocet and went to the bathroom. I'm going to call my Dr about alternating between Percocet and Tramadol for pain. (I have 4 incisions, ouch! And a high tolerance for meds, which stinks)
They have me (I came home yesterday) taking Percocet 5/325 every 4 hrs with an Advil. Yeah ok. NOT. I was given 2 Percocet at a time in the hospital. Alternating that with IV liquid fentanyl. So taking one ISN'T touching the pain. So, because of daily dose maxes of the Tylenol part of Percocet, I'm going to call my Dr and ask if I can take 1-2 Percocet( 5/325), then 4-6 hrs later take 1-2 Ultram/Tramadol (50mg). Mind you, when I got out of surgery, they gave me enough morphine to put a small horse to sleep, JUST to get my pain level from a 12 (supposed to be 10, lol) down to a 9. AND I was conscious, talking to the nurse after. Good luck. I'm in a lot of pain, but soooo glad I'm on the flip side of this! HUGS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register