Scheduled dVH/RALH daVinci surgery went well today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

daVinci surgery went well today daVinci surgery went well today

Unread 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
daVinci surgery went well today

I'm staying overnight in 23 hour observation but had to let it be known to my fellow princesses that things went well. I'll write more in a few days. One thing I wasn't expecting was two ivs. They said its protocol to have two ivs since during the surgery you are basically upside-down with your head tilted to the floor and that position increases the likelihood of your iv blowing. Due to that position you can also have a puffy face and nasal pressure and congestion. If I had that no one told me lol. I have a foley catherer until about 1am but I got up and walked at 9pm. I don't really feel like I had surgery but I had a spinal and several narcaotics so we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Re: daVinci surgery went well today

So glad you made it to the other side. I'm a DaVinci girl too.Your not feeling the pain because your properly medicated. Stay on top of the pain with meds and you'll recover much better!!
:cathugs:
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM

So happy to hear you are doing well. Just what we need is to be swollen and puffy. Ha. Was hoping I'd drop 10 lbs after this surgery. Keep us informed on your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Hi, ladies. I was texting the first post with an iv in both hands so now I can write more. Had my surgery via daVinci on Wednesday, May 16. All in all it was not a bad experience. The doc took my prolapsed fibroid uterus and left the ovaries. Because of other health problems she did have me remain at the hospital as a 23 hour observance. I was up and walking by 9 pm(had surgery at 7:30 am) and had catherer out at 1 am May 17. I was a bit sore at the incision sites(four) one-two days post-op and make sure I was taking it easy. I felt a bit beat up after my spinal wore off around 25-27 hours post op but continued my oral pains meds but have not felt the need to take them today. I've been napping and taking it easy since I came home Thursday. My bladder was not fully cooperating in the early stages but I'm told that is normal. It has been hard to gauge when I need to urinate so I have been going once an hour and most of the time there has been a need to void even though I wasn't fully aware of it. My biggest issue was constipation. I was passing gas by 25 hours after but nothing else. I was more uncomfortable by the constipation than the incisions. I increased my fiber with Metamucil, took a mild laxative and even added prune juice and finally things are moving! Today three days post-op I feel really good, which I was not expecting. I have to keep reminding myself that I had major surgery because I really don't feel like it. I'm not one of those who will be back to work in a week but if I continue to feel like this I can see why folks go back after two. Prior to surgery I thought that was ridiculous but based on my experience I can certainly understand it now. My plan, though, is to be off the six weeks my doctor and I discussed and will take that time to properly heal.
Edit/Delete Message
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Glad to hear your doing well. Rest and walk. That's your job for now. Glad to hear your taking the full 6 weeks. Even if you feel better at 2, your insides ares till healing! Keep drinking plenty of water too. Your body needs that to heal properly. Your " potty" issues will be a big thing this week. You might feel like an exited toddler as you master them. lol I remember calling my Mom one day because I was so excited after a BM.( She had a hyster so was knowing what I was talking about!) There is a recovery progress thread for the week you had surgery. See if you can find it on the post op forum section. That is where all the sisters having surgery the week of yours can post and chat and compare notes. You can follow each others progress and set backs and learn what to do and not to do!!
:cathugs:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register