Date problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Date problems Date problems

Unread 03-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Date problems

And my first twinge of panic sets in.

We're moving across the country in June- probably June 25 is our last day in my beloved Baltimore. Up until Tuesday we thought it would be June 2, so there is that.

Just got the phone call that my surgery would be April 20. Wait what? I was expecting May! I have guests coming April 27 (my parents, and to make matters worse mama is... less than totally supportive of my decision to have a hysterectomy). I have a job I'll need to quit, a volunteer position I haven't even told yet, a D&D campaign to wrap up. I have to wrap up my entire life in Baltimore before this surgery, and I just didn't think 2 weeks was enough time. I asked her to postpone.

My doctor is on vacation the first 2 weeks of May.

So now I'm freaking out about not being fully healed before the move. Even though it's still about a month if he can do it as soon as he returns. I guess I'm no worse off..

(Forums are a very good outlet for me because writing calms me down. But I'd still appreciate a response. I'm really a little scared.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Re: Date problems

Whoa now, be careful of that D&D campaign.

I've moved half-country twice before (FL to TX, TX to NC), and it's exhausting, let alone with surgery before hand. I don't know your situation, would it be possible to wait and get a referral for where you're moving to?

Try and do as much as you can before the surgery, boxing, cleaning, making freezer meals, etc. Otherwise, if monetarily possible look into a moving service, or at least a packing/loading service to help with the move.

And if your guests (especially as it's family) aren't understanding that you have limitations, don't let that get to you, that negativity is on them.
Unread 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Date problems

First off, I love your avitar! It's pretty and fun, and made me smile at a time when I'll take all the smiles I can get!

Unfortunately, I can't put my surgery off until after the move. That's an insurance question... I'm really nervous about getting insurance in a brand-new state.

The good news is everything else is much better than it sounds. I've been utterly adopted by some old friends: a married couple and their son. Both adults grew up in the military, and the husband is military now, so moving expenses are taken care of and moving itself is old hat. We're more worried about transporting me across the country while I'm still recovering. I tend to take a long time to get over things, and a plane ride or week of car trip just a month after surgery is daunting.

My dear Mama's biggest beef is a long-held belief that one should never have surgery until every other option has been exhausted. She'd rather I have an ablation. She can be petty about her travel plans, too, and if she was sitting at my bedside instead of out having fun with me, she'd let me know how unhappy she was. But she loves me, and she'll probably offer to come up and help my friends in my recovery. She offered to come up for my D&C.

And really, her visit is a simplifying factor instead of a complicating one. It's a good excuse instead of a half-panicked "but I can't wrap up my life in just 3 weeks!"

Gosh, thanks for replying. I needed the reminder that as icky as my situation is, it could be so, so much worse.

As for the D&D, that gorgon is soooooo going down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2017, 11:31 AM

A friend of mine drew my avatar long long ago, I keep reusing it. And I understand, I'm at the anxious point of my pre-op.

Talk to your doctor about the trip, I know I read a thread here where someone had to go to a funeral, and they just made sure to stop often, take pain meds, etc., but we're all a little different. Glad to hear about your 'adoption'! The friend who is taking me and picking me up from the hospital is ex military, and she helped me with my last move. They get to be super pros at it.

My mom is afraid of flying up to visit because she's not comfortable driving in places she doesn't know (and if my dad came with her I'd just be stressed). And she's a worrier/hoverer. Oh parents, how they can drive us nuts yet still let us know the love us. At least you can tell her to go do whatever she wants since you will be at home resting and doing small walks at that point (or at least if she says no then complains you can remind her you said it was alright).

Down with the gorgon! I miss D&D.
Unread 03-30-2017, 02:40 PM

My surgery is the same day as yours..

I'm trying to wrap up work, and keep trying to think out all that needs handled before I am off, but I've got nothing on you! You've got quite a bit to handle..

But you sound quite competent. A military wife? Then you can do anything! I have great respect for you

(My dad's whole side and one of my sons is military.. I'm pro-military)

Just start with a list and then start checking things off... and what doesn't get done before will just have to wait til after. I have complete confidence you'll pull it off. Just make sure to write "rest after surgery, don't over do it" on your list, too!

Unread 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Date problems

I would recommend telling your mother that the hysterectomy decision is between you and your medical team, and unless she has a medical degree or personal experience, she's in no position to criticize that. And if she's a worrier or a hoverer, or if she wants to get upset because she's at your bedside, instead of out having fun, that's her issue to deal with, not yours. Just focus on your recovery, and your friends who will be supporting you through it, and you'll do just fine! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 03-31-2017, 11:13 AM

Bamawning,

Sorry you are a bit stressed, Im in a similar situation, Im still waiting for my hyst tobe scheduled and we are due to move states not even sure where yet in June sometime, we should know by May sometime. I tend to have a high tolerance for pain so am always so nervous I will over do it. I had a LEEP procedure done in exactly one year ago and that didn't catch all of my abnormal cells. I was diagnosed with Cin lll dysplasia in Dec of 2015nat the age of 29 (just before I turned 30). Crazy thing is the exact same thing happened to my mom's youngest sister at that age or around there. Fortunate for me I caught it a bit earlier than she did and she developed full blown cervical cancer and she was only able to have one child which she regrets. I was fortunate to be blessed with 3 although, I had an abnormal pap after my first and ignored it as I was only 19 and didn't think it anything could be wrong. Anyways, sorry if I ramble...Just wanted to say that we are here for you when you need/want to vent or just share your feelings with strangers haha. I used to think that I was alone in this, and that no one understood what I was going through. At my young age I thought that I would be able to produce a big loving family an all would be a fairy tale life, sadly no more kids in my future, but I just got to hold my head up high and be thankful for the 3 I have as there are many of women out there that have trouble even having one. I so wanted to be a surrogate to help someone too. Perhaps in another life if thats to be. Big hug to everyone cause everything will be okay!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register