Scheduled LAVH Tomorrow's the day (9/8) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tomorrow's the day (9/8) Tomorrow's the day (9/8)

Unread 09-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Tomorrow's the day (9/8)

Tomorrow will be my total LAVH - funny thing I've been bleeding non stop - like Niagara falls and now all of a sudden I stopped bleeding. I'm so nervous, I haven't packed, I've instead baked cookies. I'm not scared of the surgery itself. I'm scared about the catheter (dies that hurt), scared about post I pain, scared my bladder will fall or what if I et constipated, I swear I'm turning into a basket case. I really think once this is all over I will feel so much better. I'm sure I'm making a mountain out if a mole hill, but were any of you this nervous right before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Re: Tomorrow's the day

Hi argibs04 -

All of your nerves, emotions, and fears are normal. The day before surgery can be very intense. Try to keep yourself busy - baking cookies is good. Get favorite DVDs and watch them.

In general, the catheter is put in after you are asleep.

All of the unknowns after surgery can drive you crazy. Everyone's recovery is different, and you really will not know until you are there.

What you should know is that you are not alone in this! We are here for you.

Good luck with your surgery. We will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 09-07-2014, 04:19 PM

You are going to be fine. The night before seemed long. But deep breath. Watch something funny. You will have a slow long recovery period, but if you just relax, rest and listen to your doctor, it will all be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Dr prescribed me a sleeping pill night before. Ask for stool softeners and choose foods high in fiber, opt for lotsa veggies, and I didn't come back with a catheter, peed fine. Though bladder was a bit sluggish. I prayed alot and asked God for peace about it all. DH told me he'd be there w me every step. Said wed do it together, has been an awesome support.
Unread 09-07-2014, 04:25 PM

I can only relay my experience, which was TLH with a same-day discharge... the catheter went on and came off in surgery so I never even felt it. It sounds like maybe they are having you spend the night...and I am still not entirely clear on the differences between TLH and LAVH, but they are similar.

I was very nervous the night before and did not sleep. It felt like a VERY long night. Do whatever you can to relax and try not to think about it. It's going to be OVER so fast! Hugs!
Unread 09-07-2014, 05:31 PM

I had alot of butterflies the next morning and asked the anes dr to knock me out and that I didn't want to remember a thing. I started crying in OR and then I was asleep. My staff was great, very caring and sweet. I never remember counting.
Unread 09-07-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argibs04 View Post
Tomorrow will be my total LAVH - funny thing I've been bleeding non stop - like Niagara falls and now all of a sudden I stopped bleeding. I'm so nervous, I haven't packed, I've instead baked cookies. I'm not scared of the surgery itself. I'm scared about the catheter (dies that hurt), scared about post I pain, scared my bladder will fall or what if I et constipated, I swear I'm turning into a basket case. I really think once this is all over I will feel so much better. I'm sure I'm making a mountain out if a mole hill, but were any of you this nervous right before?
You are not turning into a basket case at all. Your feelings are completely normal. I know I was anxious and it's okay to be. I was in the hospital for 4 days & 4 nights and had the catheter in for a total of two days. I had never had one put in before and it wasn't painful at all.

Everything is going to be just fine. Good luck and we shall see you on the other side.

Take care
Unread 09-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Tomorrow's the day (9/8)

Quote:
I had my surgery Friday morning. I know everyone is different but my surgical pain was never more than a bad period day. I had a catheter in until I got up and walked. I was begging for them to let me get up and walk as soon as I got to the floor. They made me wait 3 hours for the anesthesia to wear off a little. Walking actually felt good for me. I have been using stool softeners and gas x. I had my first BM today (post op day 2). No problems. So far I am happy with my decision. I hope you have a speedy recovery and good luck tomorrow
Unread 09-07-2014, 09:08 PM

Hey - my surgery is Thursday, and I spent all day baking cookies too. My daughter has tennis matches Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I have 3 job interviews Tuesday, and a meeting at church Wednesday after tennis. I'm hoping if I stay busy enough, I won't have time to be scared.
Unread 09-11-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Just curious how it all went? I know you had several fears ... hope you're doing OK.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register