help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-08-2002, 04:29 PM
help

I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on Friday. I have endometrois, cycts and my last two paps have come back abnormal. (Just had a cone biopsy and there was no cancer) Am I doing the right thing having this done? The doctor says I should and so do most of my friends. I am terrified about the hormone thing and losing my sex drive.

A little more info, I had a lap. done two years ago which showed the endo and the cycts thats when the doc originally told me I should have the hysterectomy. My periods last for seven to ten days and I get them every 14 to 21 days. I am 42, single and have two children and no desire to have anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2002, 05:29 PM
help

Thank heavens your biopsy is negative. And because it is negative, I don't understand what all the rush is about. Major surgery is something that a person needs time to consider. Lately, there seems to be a lot of sisters who are not being given time to do some research and make a decision. Unless there is cancer or some other threat of life, I would not agree to anything until I had time to decide for myself.

Having said that, I've read enough from the others here who suffer greatly with endo. Unfortunetly, to rid yourself of endo, ovaries, uterus and cervix must go and there should be no hormones for at least 6 months. The hormones encourage endo to grow and any little bit of endo left after surgery can cause you problems...big problems.

You didn't say how old you ... it is easier to make decisions if one is approaching menopause age. Your right, the sex drive is an issue when dealing with surgical menopause and then later adjusting hormones to ...but, the most alarming thing I hear you say is that you have not had time to study this major life altering event.

If it were me...I'd say, "wait a second doc." You have to feel confident about this decision. A second opinion and research on endo would be in order. I'd rather go at it in late Jan or Feb feeling good about it, then wondering if it was the right thing to do this Friday. Just my . Don't let any doctor rush you because he has a lull in December.

If it's a go for sure on Friday....spend time reading and learning all you can. Use the links offered on this site and of course the search button.
My best to you.
Unread 12-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Yes, be sure

I agree with Maralyn. Especially if you are young, this is a big decision that you need to be comfortable with. If iyour condition is not life threatening you can take your time to decide. Talk to another doctor if you want to, do research, see a counsellor, whatever you need to do to make sure you are doing what you really feel is right.

If you do decide to go ahead on Friday, be at peace. The hormone thing needn't be horrible. We're all different, so it's hard to say for sure. However, if you truly believe what you're doing is the right thing for you then whatever happens will be easier to deal with. If you AREN'T sure then whatever happens could be difficult to deal with.

Joselle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register