Gained over 20 lbs (2006) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Twenty Pound Club

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gained over 20 lbs (2006) Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

Unread 07-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Had annual physical last week...Scared me

Hi-
I have also gained wt since the hysterectomy. I have been on thyroid replacement for about 10 years. Last week blood levels at physical confirmed menopause, so I just started HRT. I believe my weight gain is due to bad eating habits, that just happen to coincide with the hysterectomy and menopause.
The doctor last week noted an elevated blood sugar, and this has scared me quite a bit about the direction my weight was moving in (she also mentioned elevated LDL cholesterol- but somehow the blood sugar scares me more- in fact- terrifies me).
Since that appointment last week, I have stepped up my walking program, and said goodbye to my beloved sweets and bedtime/tv snacking. I am trying to eat 3 balanced meals a day.
I am really trying hard to walk off about 20 lbs. I appreciate the support of this forum. thanks for listening...
Aprilgrl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Gained over 20 lbs (2006)

Aprilgrl-
How old are you? I just had bloodwork done, but all was normal, and I've been on thyroid pills for at least 10 years. I have it checked once yearly. I'm just wondering if maybe my problem is menopause...I'm 36, still have my overies, yet am having hot flashes, acne (at my age!!), and weight gain. I'm doing the walking, too; also, we have a pool, and I swim almost daily. Trips to the gym to build some muscle at least 3 times weekly...it's coming off slowly. Keep it up, girl!! Sometimes, unfortunately, a good scare is just what is needed to get us motivated!
Unread 07-03-2006, 02:15 AM

I am 50. I was 47 when I had my hysterectomy. I had a huge fibroid which was interfering with my bladder and my colon. I have job & family which take up a lot of my time and since the hyst I have develped Interstitial Cystitis. I have swelly belly big time. It seems to be a part of post hyst recovery and also part of IC so I probably will be dealing with it for a long time. Mine is very painful but I have not found out what causes it or what can be done about it. (If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them)
Weight gain in menopause can be caused by a slower metabolism. Women gain weight in stages. The first place fat accumulates is the belly and that is the last place it leaves.
Posting on this forum has helped me. A journey- no matter how long- starts with the first step. I am not where I want to be... but I am closer than I was before... so hang in there everybody and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-04-2006, 06:08 AM

thanks for your response and encouragement Lilmzmarcy. I am 50 - started thyroid replacement at 40. I kept my ovaries when I had my hysterectomy, the dr explained that sometimes they just stop functioning after the surgery. If you are wondering - consider getting hormone levels checked. I like knowing where I stand :-)
Unread 07-04-2006, 06:51 AM

Thank you! I've been considering the check for that...I think I need to get it checked. My acne dr. said that sometimes he prescribes birth control pills for it, simply because of the hormones! Anyway, I'll call the OB/GYN dr. and make an appt. for Hormone level check. I'll let you know how it goes!! ;P
Unread 07-21-2006, 08:19 PM
I've gone up 3 sizes !

I had my hysto in October 2004. I started to notice weight gain alot this year. I was in a size 8 when I had my surgery, I am now in a size 14 and pushing it!!!
I feel so depressed, I look in my closet at all the clothes I CAN"T wear.
I don't know if it's the Estrogen or Wellbutrin. I think it's the Wellbutrin myself but my Dr insists that it causes weight loss!! I dunno, just feeling down about it all.
Unread 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM

I was on Wellbutrin for a couple of months to help me quit smoking. My doc said the same thing about the weight loss, but I gained too! Once I quit smoking, I quit taking it, too. I just had my hormone blood work done today, so I expect next week they'll be calling me in for something to do with hormone replacement...I know the feeling about the closet full of clothes that I CAN'T wear--yet!! I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about this, and I'm hoping that I'll be back in those clothes soon. Don't feel down! Use that to motivate yourself! BTW...have you called your doc to see of maybe another med can help you besides the Wellbutrin? There are many others out there!! Best of Luck, and keep your chin up.
Unread 07-23-2006, 06:52 AM

I gained weight when I was taking pills for depression. I did not understand the sudden weight gain. Finally, I asked the pharmacist if it was a side effect, and it was confirmed. The doctor said that it was worth it to keep me stable. I stopped the medication and stopped seeing the doctor as weight gain makes me depressed more. I then lost weight and have not put it back. Had I not stopped the medication, I would have gone over 155 as I was up to 153. My normal weight is 117 lbs even if I am not in the best shape. It took a year to lose the weight. I have gone back up to 127 but lost that as well. I am not advising anyone to stop taking his/her meds but attesting to side effects of psychotropic drugs or whatever they are called. Another cause of gain for me is vitamin pills. As soon as I start thinking health with a pill, I gain weight. I have another friend with the same problem. I think all of this can be researched on the web.
Unread 07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Going off meds

I am seeing the Dr. tomorrow that has prescribed the Wellbrutrin. I am going to insist on going off of it. I am having other side effects also, agitated, anxiety, anxious and trouble sleeping........ and it's giving me hot Flushes!!
I really believe this is what's causing the weight gain, but see gyno, (very good one)
Will keep you posted.
Unread 07-28-2006, 07:43 AM

Your message made me laugh! Thanks. I know what you mean about the doctors. As if we never thought of going on a diet. Wow, what a concept. This is uncharted territory. I know all about diet and fitness - it's as if all the keys that always opened all my locks suddenly just stopped working, and the doctors say "have you tried using your key"?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register