Premarin & sun exposure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Premarin & sun exposure Premarin & sun exposure

Unread 08-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Premarin & sun exposure

I've been on Premarin .625mg for about a month, and it's doing it job as far as hot flashes & night sweats go. The fine print on the pamphlet says to limit your exposure to sun.

I'm going on vacation in a week and will be out in the sun for hours at a time watching tennis at the US Open. I usually wear a hat and use sunscreen every couple of hours, but there won't be any shade per se. Typically I don't burn...I'm wondering if that (burning) is the reason for the warning.

This is one of the scenarios where you know something might be bad for you, but you want to do it anyway! I suppose we are all kids at heart! Any experiences out there? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Premarin & sun exposure

I would use a good sunscreen and hat and not worry about it and enjoy your vacation. I think sometimes the hormones may cause uneven pigmentation or sun senistivity in some individuals . It is good to use sunscreen anyway to protect against skin cancer and aging.

Have fun on your vacation

s
Unread 08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Premarin & sun exposure

Hi there, I am on the same dose, upped since a month ago and I just read the "handout" . Last week I was in St Croix and in the sun, actively tanning for 5 days and did not notice any patches. Web MD says "This drug may cause a patchy darkening of the skin on the face (melasma). Sunlight may intensify this darkening and you may need to avoid prolonged sun exposure and sunlamps. Consult your doctor regarding use of sunscreens and protective clothing." Basically, I use a "45" (coppertone) on my face and chest and shoulders, "4" on the rest, I am not into burning since my flashes are hardly helped with this Premarin, Dr. wants me to up the dose but I hesitate, I will take this dose for one more month before I give up.
I am encouraged that you have had relief after a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Premarin & sun exposure

I can deal with changes in skin pigmentation. I was more afraid of blowing up like a balloon or passing out! Thanks for the reassurance!

Wheati - My doc started me out with Premarin .45mg 2 weeks post-op. I saw him 3 weeks later and he upped it to .625mg because I was still miserable. I was reluctant about the increase. What convinced me was that I needed relief and doc said he'd monitor me closely, that perhaps 6-12 months down the road, I wouldn't need it anymore.

Hang in there! You'll find something that works! Unfortunately, a lot of this is trial & error; and if you are anything like me, waiting it out is the hardest part! We want results & we want it now! ;-)
Unread 08-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Premarin & sun exposure

Thanks Mia,
Your post keeps me hopeful. Before my "H" I had been over and done with the flashes and night sweats , nicely going along and all during the time I was in peri and menopause my family was barely aware. Now I have to run in front of air conditioning vents and blow them right on me every hour! They are finding it funny for now, yeah it's summer and 100 degrees, I hope I am "adjusted" by fall and winter so I won't be having to throw the windows open!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register