Am I a whimp? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I a whimp? Am I a whimp?

Unread 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Am I a whimp?

Hey Sisters,
I am beating myself up today because in my original plan for all of this I was going to go back to work today, I figured at 3 weeks I would be ready but I am still feeling so tired! I am 44 and in pretty good shape and I can't believe how much I just can't do! It seems like just taking a shower and going for a walk wear me out. My dh is very supportive and yet I feel like he thinks I should be able to get back at it by now. I feel like such a WHIMP!
Thanks for letting me vent.
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Am I a whimp?

Hey Sherry,
6 1/2 weeks for me and I am able to do so much more this past week and I am less tired. There are better days ahead. Weeks 4 & 5 I still tired very easy. Don't be hard on your self. Your body will tell you when to rest.

Take the time off, rest and you will recover faster.
abbyhah

PS - Funny I called myself a wimp too. You just had major surgery it takes longer than we'd like to recover. It does get frustrating...you found a good place to vent to sisters who understand.
Unread 05-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Am I a whimp?

I am 5 wks tomorrow and not back to work yet so you're not a whimp. I originally wanted to go back at 4 wks but my dr said not until 6 wks - boy am I glad i listened to her. Probably will even go back only 1/2 days at first.

I still tire very easily doing the littlest things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Am I a whimp?

Hello Sherry,

Please don't beat yourself up and please don't call yourself a wimp! It takes tons of energy to heal! It also takes time.

This coming Wednesday will be three weeks for me. I'm no where near ready to return to my typical workday! My doc told me to plan for 8 weeks off and that she'd release me at 6 weeks if I was ready, but better to prepare for being off the entire 8 weeks.

I'm frustrated because I'm still not up for doing even light paper work at this point...grrr...
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Am I a whimp?

I still feel like a "whimp" too. I'll be 5 weeks out on Tuesday and didn't do much today but stay in bed and watch videos. I feel like I am being "good" and allowing myself time to heal. I am going back to work next week and am quite apprehensive. I am an elementary school administrator who takes pride in being highly visible. Now, I pitter around and take care of my home (no heavy cleaning; I hired a cleaning lady for that)and I am wiped out. I hit a brick wall by 7 p.m., even after napping and resting throughout the day. I am used to being a very high energy person who has much to and does accomplish much each day. Any suggestions about my return to work?
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Am I a whimp?

You're not a wimp! It takes time and we all want to be better sooner! I think the better you feel the more you think you can do so it's a little frustrating when you get tired. I went to a fancy dinner party Sunday night thinking I was all better. I was a little shocked at the fact I had to sleep most of today! But I had fun!
I guess the most important thing to remeber is to listen to your body and take the breaks you need.
Walking helps me get some extra energy but I have to force myself out every day and I set little distance goals each day. I have been getting stronger and I can see the difference. I go back to work in 2 weeks and its a physical, stand up all day job, where I am boss and usually full of energy so I better be ready! I was feeling guilty about the 8 weeks but after Sunday I know I need the extra 2 weeks . Take it if you can and don't be hard on yourself -
Unread 05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Am I a whimp?

I'm a wimp too. I spent the last four days doing things that were past what I was really ready to do because I felt pretty good. Today I had some spotting, the first time since I've been home and ended up sitting on the couch in my nightgown and robe with an icepack on my belly.

A co-worker called this morning and when I told him I was thinking of going back to work a week early - at 5 weeks, he told me that I should stay home the entire 6 weeks, take it easy and get better.

I couldn't imagine going back to work at 3 weeks and I have a desk job and a 2 mile commute. Rest and take it easy.
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Am I a whimp?

You make me feel so much better. I definately thought I was a whimp also. I am 3 weeks post op and I thought I would be my old self by now. I guess this is more major than I thought. Some days I am just beat. I try to keep the house straight, keep the laundry done, take a shower, and do an outing and that is it. Occasionally I fix an easy dinner. I know that there would not be any way I could go to work so take as long as you can.
Unread 05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Am I a whimp?

HI, I do not think that you are a wimp. I am 4wks post op and no that I am not ready to go back to work yet. I am feeling pretty good but not ready to be on my feet all day. I was thinking about haveing my doc release me at my 6wk check up. because there are bills to be paid and I was feeling a little guilty about DH working so hard to keep us cuaght up. but when I mentioned going back early to DH he said that he wanted me take the full 8wks to make sure that I would be ready. and to not worry about the bills. and I would say to you that if you don't think you are ready to go back to work yet then I would take a little more time to make sure you won't have a set back from doing too much too soon. Take Care, Cathy
Unread 05-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Am I a whimp?

Definitely, you are not a whimp!! I am in my 12th wk post op, still have a tender belly, get tired very easily, can't stand for long periods of time, and if I overdo, it sets me back several days. I am very active also...I am 50, work full time, have a part-time job on wkends, go to Curves (walking only right now), have a male companion who is a drummer in several bands....I can't keep up with all of it yet! I am slowly getting back into my routine, but ladies....let me tell you, this recovery is something I have never experienced in my entire life! I have birthed 2 children and this is much more intense than even childbirth! I am convinced that this is probably the hardest thing I have ever been through, and my recovery has been fairly event-free....it is true when I tell you "recovery takes as long as it takes". We are individuals and each of us are different. But, recovery is still recovery! Your body has been slaughtered and your insides are shifting around to take up those empty spaces. You have 100's of stitches inside your body that will take 6 mo. to a yr. to completely heal! Sit back, slow down, and take time to smell the roses I didn't return to work until 7 1/2 wks, didn't drive my car for 5 wks, and rushing things before you are ready will only set you back. So, listen to your body....you will know when you are ready to tackle something new! I learned the hard way several times. Hang in there It won't be too long...just be patient and take care of yourselves! Hugs to everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register