bm makes me sick as a dog | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bm makes me sick as a dog bm makes me sick as a dog

Unread 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
bm makes me sick as a dog

every time I have a bm I get so sick after wards, that I start throwing up and can't get out of bed. I'm 3 weeks postop. My uterus was connected to my bladder and bowel line. I have lost 18lbs since my surgery because of this, has this happen to any one else. My gyn does know I'm losing weight and just looked at me, like I was joking when I told her. You would think by 3 weeks this would stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Re: bm makes me sick as a dog

Hi, I had my hysterectomy Dec 15th. I felt well enough to go back to work for a few hours on the 21st, so I thought everything was going really well. I started having bad diarrhea. I felt horrible and was really nauseous. I went back to my gyn. She prescribed anti-nausea drugs, but said if I started trowing up she would be more concerned and to let her know. I started throwing up the next day. She told me to go to the ER and she admitted me to the hospital. I had a cat scan (with contrast) that showed part of my gut had shut down. They called it an ileus. They put me on an IV for fluids and to give me more anti nausea drugs (also called anti-emetics). I stopped throwing up by the next morning, Christmas morning. I went home from the hospital after a couple of days. I felt much improved by New Years.

Things you might try at home:
1. My doc told me not to eat if I could stand being a little hungry. She said it would give my gut a chance to rest. I was able to just have a few ice chips, clear broths etc after I stopped throwing up.

2. Get your doc to write you a Rx for anti-emetics.

3. Try not to eat, and if you do, only take a few sips of chicken or beef broth, jello, flavored ices, etc. I know that seems counter intuitive, since you are losing weight and probably really weak, but it seemed to work for me. I had lost 8 lbs in a week.

Full disclosure, I still have episodes where I feel queasy, but it is a very mild feeling compared to the full blown nauseousness that I had before.

I was told that the ileus could have been caused by a few things: the surgery itself, since my gut had been adhered to my uterus and diaphragm by endometriosis and had to be disconnected, the antibiotics given during the surgery, the anesthesia given during the surgery, or a bug I caught in the hospital.

Hang in there, but don't count on your doc if you are needing care that they can't deliver.

Let me know if you need more details.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM

Hi Sherry00-1,

If it were me, I would go to the ER. You are losing a great deal of weight, and I don't think that trying not to eat would be the best thing for you right now. I'm no Dr though, and I think you need a to check you out and find out what is causing your problems, and treat you appropriately.

Please let us know what you find out.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Sorry that I miscommunicated. I agree that going to the ER and getting admitted was my best advice and what worked for me. I just thought in the meantime, you could try other things if your doc was not helping by admitting you or giving you a Rx.

Hope you are getting the help you need.
Unread 02-01-2010, 04:59 PM

18 lbs is too much weight to lose, i lost about 8 lbs but 18--you need to be checked out. I did however feel really sick, lightheaded and quesy when i needed to have a bm for about 3 weeks, I am 5 weeks post op today and dont have that anymore.
Good luck and take care of yourself
Unread 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM

That doesn't sound normal. You need to see a Dr. Hey HouTx I had surgery in Houston, Tx. It sounds like you had a rough time. I am glad you are better. I hope she takes your advice.
Unread 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM

I went to my gp today for it. he has taken me off some of the meds my gyn had me on he also gave me some nausea meds. he called my gyn to let her know what he was doing and they are working together to help me. I have to go back to him friday if I lose any weight, I will then be admitted into the hospi. so far I'm feeling a little better he said it will take a few days to get the meds out of my system if that's what the problem is,
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM

sherry00-1,

I am really glad to hear that someone is helping you and taking you and your health concerns seriously. I hope you start feeling much better. Please let us know how you feel over the next few days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register