Adhesions? Reasons for ovary removal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adhesions? Reasons for ovary removal? Adhesions? Reasons for ovary removal?

Unread 10-24-2002, 11:10 AM
Adhesions? Reasons for ovary removal?

I talked to my doc today (preparing for Nov 1 FAH), and he reviewed the pros and cons of taking my ovaries, but said that sometimes there is pathology, such as adhesions, that may indicate the removal. He also said that since I complain of menstrual pain, that might be from endometriosis, all the more reason to remove.

What causes Adhesions? What are they exactly?? If I have them does that mean the ovaries should go? (I want to keep them)

What would be the other 'reasons' a doctor might decide it best to take out the ovaries?

Do I get to sign anything that states I WANT TO KEEP my ovaries??

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm a nervous nelly!

Thanks,
COri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2002, 12:54 PM
RE: adhesions

Hi Cori,

I share your concerns. After having several surgeries I had to deal with Multiple Pelvic Adhesions. You might find the answer to some of your questions at the following address:

http://www.adhesions.org/

My prayers are with you !!
Unread 10-24-2002, 02:09 PM
anecdotal but it might help

When we got into surgery, we found I had a tube that was adhered to my bowel with endometriosis. Endo was not visible on any of the tests we did, including transvaginal ultrasound. Sometimes it doesn't show till you get there. I had decided to take the ovaries as there is ovarian cancer in my family, so I don't know whether it could have been saved or not. I can tell you that it feels a lot better to have it gone...I think the main thing is to have it really clear with your MD that you don't want your ovaries taken unless they really have to go and discuss scenarios--and if you don't feel heard, get another MD. There are no do-overs on organ removal.

On the day of surgery, I had to sign a paper saying what procedures I agreed to so you should have a chance to specify what you want or don't want. As always, read things thoroughy before signing and get all the clarification you need. This is no time to go along just to be nice. Be a difficult patient if you need to be--this is your body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2002, 04:56 PM
RSO last year because of adhesions

Looking at the pics, no wonder I hurt so much. Adhesions basically had parts of me that are supposed to float around and just be happy stuck in this gooey-gunky web of scar tissue. Bowel stuck to itself, ovary moved out of a healthy position. The doc could have tried to peel off that tissue but it would have been a painstaking process to save an ovary when I had another ovary that was free and clear of the mess.

Problem with surgery to remove adhesions is that it creates adhesions.

And Sheltie is right, your body, you call the shots. I tell my doc to write P.I.T.A on my file because I am indeed a pain-in-the-rear kind of patient. Pun may or may not be intended today.
Unread 10-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Adhesions? Reasons for ovary removal?

I was another one that had multiple adhesions...i had scar tissue too. All this was from a PID i had gotten sometime earlier in my life and from the c-section 12 years ago. My left ovary was cought up in the adhesions and pulled up where it didnt belong and my right ovary and tube was encased in scar tissue.

Basically all my lower pelvic organs were stuck together, bowels too.

I am one of the ladies that will tell you that I wanted everything to go, including my cervix. Bad paps in the past and all the pelvic pain and bleeding problems.

I am adopted so I have no clue what runs in my family and I was certainly tired of feeling bad most of the time.
This has been the best decision i have ever made. I feel so much better now. This is just how my experience was tho.

On the other hand, if you have viable organs such as ovaries, by all means keep it/them. It is your body and your decision alone but we will stand by whatever you choose.

Please learn all you can and discuss all your options with your doc. Get a second opinion if needed or another MD that is willing to work with you.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register