Scheduled LAVH WOW Dr says NO Bowel prep? Anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

WOW Dr says NO Bowel prep? Anyone else? WOW Dr says NO Bowel prep? Anyone else?

Unread 06-23-2009, 01:58 PM
WOW Dr says NO Bowel prep? Anyone else?

Just came back from pre op apt and no bowel prep necessary. From what I have been reading seems like everyone has to have one? But thats just fine with me..... EKG normal, Blood normal and no liquid diet the day before....Just nothing after midnight. Now just preparing my room and making meals to freeze. Looking forward to being PAIN FREE hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Re: WOW Dr says NO Bowel prep? Anyone else?

Hi!

My surgery is 7/20 and I don't have to do bowel prep either. The surgical coordinator said that their office doesn't do those anymore. I had read about so many others on this site that do bowel prep, that I thought because I wasn't having one that something was wrong! LOL

I do have to do a clear liquid diet the day before and then nothing after midnight, which is fine by me!
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Congrats on the no bowel prep or liquid diet. I don't know yet and I'm afraid to call and ask. I'm hoping I won't have to but won't be surprised if I do. My pre-op instructions only say that I can't have anything after midnight. I'm hoping that's a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM

I wonder why? Maybe someone will explain here. You have come to the right place. I have been reading a ton of info and some make you laugh but others make you cry, we are all here to support each other just like sister would! Again I am SOOOOOO ready to be pain free. Welcome and keep searching all this wonderful info..... HUGS
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM

My Dr. said that was "old school" to do the full on bowel prep. I was guided to only have light meals, and remember that "what goes in, must come out, so choose wisely". I took that to mean stay away from spicy food!

I did have to do a Fleet enima the night before but that wasn't bad at all and made me feel relaxed that I wouldn't feel backed up before I was ready to do my first post op BM
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:56 PM

cs1234
Hi, I too did not need bowel prep. I could not eat after midnight ( surgery was at 8 a.m.) so I did not eat after 7 p.m. to play it safe. One thing I would do is start taking stool softeners, though, as pain killers will cause constipation...it helps to just sit and go and not have to push later on. Best advice I got...and I take some still everyday, either prunes, Fiber One cereal, ground flax and cut back on the dairy. Good luck and don't overdo at all...
Unread 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM

cs1234

I didn't have to do a bowel prep either! I was allowed a normal dinner the night before and a "light" breakfast before 7 am on the day of surgery. All doctors seem to have their individual requirements and it's vital to follow them to avoid any problems during the procedure.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM

it really depends.. a lot of women are also having a rectocele fixed (surgery to fix prolapsed bowel) and that requires a bowel prep.
Unread 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Well, I'm having a TVH with cystocele and rectocele repair and NO bowel prep. Just nothing after midnight. And unless they have a Fleet's enema planned for me in the 90 minutes before surgery at the hospital, I will go into surgery with no prep whatsoever. It seems a little odd to me what with the rectocele repair, but I guess if they knock me out and go to start my surgery and find a "presence" in there, that'll be their problem not mine. I don't even want to think about what they'll do then. I can't guarantee I'll be able to perform for the day at 5:30 in the morning before we leave the house. I plan to eat light the day before so I don't end up constipated because that really worries me, even though they said I'd be taking stool softeners. What if I was the kind of person who eats 3/4 of a large pizza the day before, or hits a restaurant for a huge meal the evening before? Where would it all go? Thank goodness I've got more sense than that! LOL
Unread 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM

I had to do a bowel prep and wish I didn't. My doctor said for her it depends on what is being done. She does the bowel preps because for her own safety if she accidentally nicks the bowels (same for bladder) she doesn't want to have to worry about infection. Hey, I'm not an expert on this, I am only sharing information on what I was told as to why I did a bowel prep. As they, "don't shoot the messenger!"

If I had my way, I would have wished not to have a done a bowel prep. My girlfriend who had a TAH last year didn't do a bowel prep, she told me she did do an enema. So, I guess it depends on either doctor or procedure, just guessing. I trust her enough to follow her lead. Another girlfriend of mine had a TVH and she had to drink a bottle of that sodium magnisum (sp). Go figure!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register