Sleep Apnea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-08-2002, 05:37 AM
Sleep Apnea

Hello all, I am pre but was wondering if any of you have sleep apnea and how your stay at castle went with this. Hope someone can help, I have some questions and concerns.

Thanks, s Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2002, 05:41 AM
Sleep Apnea

Hi there,

I don't have sleep apnea, but they put an apnea monitor on me from the time I got to my room to the next morning. Be sure and let them know about this so they can be particularly mindful of it.

Best wishes, sweetie!

s,
Unread 08-08-2002, 07:09 AM
Toonces

Thanks you for that input - I will have to do that.

s and s Wendy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Sleep Apnea

Hi Wen,

I don't have sleep apnea, but my DH does and he has used CPAP for over 2 years now. Also, I'm a respiratory therapist doing home health care, and I have set up many people on CPAP machines.

If you have a CPAP or BiPAP machine, then ask your Dr. specifically about it. If you're going to be in the castle for more than one night, I'd think you may want to use it.

If you do need it while there, the hospital may be able to provide one but your Dr. will have to write it in your orders, including your prescribed pressure. Some hospitals will allow patients to bring their own units with them, BUT they usually have to be checked for electrical safety (for the hospital's protection) by a Biomed Tech AND your Dr. will still have to write it in your orders that you can use your own unit.

Best wishes and s
Unread 08-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Tina

Thank you so much for that insight, I never would have thought that my dr would have to write it for me. Glad to know as i go for pre op apt in 2 wks. Great info to have, thanks again.

s Wendy
Unread 08-09-2002, 05:43 AM
Sleep Apnea

Wen

I have a triple whammy. I have sleep aponea, asthma and sarcoidosis. All of which cause breathing difficulties. I was using a CPAP, but currently I am not using it (only because I take it off in my sleep every night).

It is really important to let your anaesthesist know about the sleep aponea. Because of my medical conditions, I had a light general for the operation. The dr did not want me to use morphine after the op for pain relief because of the sleep factor. I had an epidural for the first 48 hours post op. I was also on oxygen for the first 48 hours. I was closely monitored the entire time.

As far as the operation and recovery, it didn't cause any problems for me whatsoever, but it is really important that both the dr and the "a" man know about it.

All the best wishes for your operation.

Regards
Unread 08-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Sleep Apnea

Gail,
Thanks so much for your reply, I will make sure to tell doc and a man. s Wendy
Unread 08-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Sleep Apnea

I also have sleep apnea, asthma and sarcoidosis and also have the name Gail. Yikes! *checking the mirror* Fortunately my sarcoid has been quiet for many years, leaving some scarring, but the concern is more that I don't get an infection in my lungs.

I am also concerned about the sleep apnea aspect. Because I can't sleep without it. As soon as a nurse calls to do pre-registration with me, I will find out whether I am allowed to bring my CPAP with me or if they will have me use one from the hospital. I would prefer mine as I am used to it as well as used to the mask. But I do thank those that replied to the Wendy's post here. It gave me some ideas too!

Gail

Having a TAH (ovaries too),Exploratory Laparotomy on 8/22/02 *gulp*
Unread 08-10-2002, 04:31 AM
Sleep Apnea

Gail,

I just wanted to add that if you will be using one of the hospital's CPAP's, you could still bring your own mask. That wouldn't interfere with anything and I'm sure it would be much more comfortable.

If you do bring your own mask, be sure to mark it somehow and it would be a good idea if whoever will be taking you home is aware of it to remind you to bring it home when you are discharged. can cause forgetfulness, especially if you are receiving narcotics.

Best wishes and s
Unread 08-10-2002, 07:06 PM
Sleep Apnea

Thanks again for your replies ladies, it is great to have such support. I will be sure to take my own mask and have dh make sure i bring it home w/me.

s and s Wendy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register