How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain... How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain...

Unread 04-03-2009, 11:53 PM
How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain...

through out the month? Oh, by the way, I wan to thank everyone who has helped me feel so much better today !!!! I forgot to say i had one option for my fibroids, severe bleeding,sharp pelvic pain & cramping - it is an IUD! I don't know about this and has it helped anyone? are there bad side effects? Is this going to help my pain throughout the whole month? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Re: How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain...

I would ask your GYN what is the purpose of prescribing the IUD. Is it to lessen the bleeding?

With fibroids, the pain is often from them pressing on something. They don't necessarily have to be big to cause pain; they just have to be in the "right" place.

As I understand it, IUDs are not useful for making your fibroids shrink. Your fibroids are only going to continue to grow.

My fibroids cause bleeding and clots. I wasn't ready for a hysterectomy. So, far, the UFE I had 5.5 months ago has lessened the symptoms of my fibroids.
Unread 04-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Re: How effective was Mirena IUD for fibroids,severe bleeding,sever pelvic pain...

Hello Pinkrocks… I am new to the site and I was hoping to find something on Mirena and I came across your posting. I’ve had very heavy menstrual periods with a lot of clotting since high school (I am now 46 years old). I’ve been on the pill, I had several D&Cs, and last year, I had Novasure. I have one child who is now 18 years old and I am done with childbearing as I have tubal ligation 4 years ago. All the procedures I mentioned worked for me; however, they all were a temporary fix.

I had an emergency D&C on 03/13/09 as my period lasted almost 3 months! The flow was very light for 2 months and then March was just so heavy with clotting. I had several tests done and I’ve been told that I have 2 fibroids the size of golf balls. On 03/13/09, I thought I’d go for another D&C and if this does not work, I really would consider a partial hysterectomy. The pathology report from the D&C came back and I have Simple Hyper dysplasia without Atypia ~ I lack appropriate progesterone levels. I am hoping that Mirena will work for me as Mirena with hormones may well bring the bleeding under control. If this treatment along with a D&C does not work to stop hyperplasia from developing into endometrial cancer, it would then be appropriate to turn to partial hysterectomy for me. I had my son when I was 28 and it’s been 18 years that I have been avoiding partial hysterectomy. I am now very tired to prolonged bleeding. I am scheduled to see my OBGYN in 7 weeks but I will be contacting her on Monday as I don’t think that having to continue bleeding is normal.

I am curious to know when you had your Mirena inserted, did you bleed or had some light flow, or even spotted? If you did, how long before the bleeding stopped? Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2009, 11:49 PM

I have had two attempts with Mirena to manage bleeding. The attempt was to make my periods lighter and maybe even have them go away completely.

I had Mirena inserted in late April 2008. The process itself was smooth and I had almost no issues afterwards, no bleeding etc. May was fine. June period was horrible, with clotting worse than ever. Same again in July and in August. We were on the fence about how to proceed, but in August bleeding was so heavy that Mirena came out with it, without me knowing. Ultrasound confirmed that IUD was gone and a decision about trying to remove the fibroid was made.

Surgery failed due to complications with the liquid used. We tried again in November and it was considered a success, and a new Mirena was put in. I went in for a post op right after the holidays to find out that the fibroid had pushed out further from the muscle and it was pushing Mirena out. Basically it was hanging in my cervix. And I had a fibroid again.

Mirena itself seemed like a great idea for me, but as long as the fibroid was in, nothing was going to share my uterus with it.
Unread 04-05-2009, 12:21 AM

Ponyrider, thanks! I'm looking for a new doctor because I don't like the only option from my doctor now is mirena! I have fibroids in my uterus & I do not feel good about this mirena IUD! I really do not want somehting inserted in my body. I have done a lot of research and read comments to know i don't want this inserted in me! It's not going to help my fibroids that are giving me pain! xoxo
Unread 04-05-2009, 12:49 AM

Hi there,

Just wanted to tell you my experience with the Mirena, I had one inserted as a last resort, it was in five weeks, I bled the whole time, and the worst part was I turned into a monster from the hormones. I was like a raging bull at a red flag. And it seemed to irritate my uterus, as I had worsening symptons in my pelvis whilst it was in. Anyway enough was enough for me and I decided to have a hysterectomy, I kept my cervix and ovaries and I am almost 7 weeks out and feeling fabulous. I feel as though I have my life back again, best decision I ever made.

For me I had to try everything possible to avoid a hysterectomy and as it ends up I was very glad to have it in the end as I was in so much pain. This was the journey I had to go on to get to the decision I did. We all go on different journeys to come to a conclusion on what is best for us and I wish you well on your journey through this difficult time.
Unread 04-05-2009, 08:46 AM

I had Mirena put in to stop periods because I have serious pain due to pelvic congestion. I don't have fibroids and I have never had children.

I had it inserted in July last year, and for the first 6 months it did a good job but now I am beginning to spot here and there, and my pain has come back so I'm seeing a new doc (we moved) next week to see what to do from here. Good luck!
Unread 04-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Hello Allytm, Pinkrocks, and Ponyrider!
I love this site as it is great to hear you share your opinions and experiences, thank you.

Allytm, I am like you, I have the Mirena inserted on 03/27/09 and as I told Pinkrocks, I am still bleeding, however it is light. Prior to having my OBGYN insert the Mirena, I had a D&C on 03/13/09 as my menstrual flow had not stopped from 12/25/08. My period was light for 2 months and thinking it will eventually stop. But in March it started to be very heavy with clots. I know, I was brainless and didn’t take my health serioiusly and I should know better.

The Pathology report from the D&C came back as having a Simple Hyper dysplasia without Atypia, lacking appropriate progesterone levels. I opted for Mirena as my last resort hoping that it will bring the bleeding under control. For 18 years of prolonged bleeding, I know I have considered all options from birth control pills, repetitive D&Cs, to Endometrial Ablation (Novasure) treatment, again just so to steer clear of hysterectomy. Novasure was effective for 8 months; but, with the continued lab work that I go through, I was told that they found 2 fibroids the size of golfballs. Now, I am back to the heavy bleeding starting all over again. Having the fibroids and Simple Hyper dysplasia without Atypia, I wouldn’t want this to progress to Complex Hyper dysplasia with Atypia then developing into Endometrial Cancer. This is why I have Mirena with hormones to help the bleeding under control as I need the progesterone. But I agree with you Allytm, it will not rid of the fibroids, these may shrink but they will still be there.

If I go for the partial hysterectomy now, this will rid of the fibroids and stop my menstrual period for good. I am 46 years old and I am just tired and I want my life back!

Thank you, Allytm, for sharing your experience and your decision on having the hysterectomy and leaving your cervix and ovaries intact.

I will be calling my OBGYN tomorrow and request for another consultation as my bleeding has not stopped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register