Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had pre-op appointment.  nervous about epidural - never had one Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Unread 04-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Re: Had pre-op appointment. nervous about epidural - never had one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Elaineous View Post
I've never had an epidural - it doesn't sound nice at all to have no feeling in your lower body.

The pre-op visit made the whole thing seem real. It has been really hard to eat anything or sleep as my stomach is in constant knots and full of butterflies and nerves.

I know it will be okay - but somehow it feels a little lonely and scary. It has been nice to read posts you all have made and gain comfort and encouragement from them.

Thanks for being here.
Hi Sister,

We have our surgeries scheduled on the same day. I had one epidural. I had a tubal ligation just hours after birth #4 and it was okay. The Nurse was surprised when I asked her for instruction on how to position myself, she assumed I had had a few already. They give you a local anesthetic shot to numb the area of your spine while you lay on your side sort of curled in a fetal position. Then you feel pressure when they inject you but no pain. Then the entire lower half of your body feels warm and heavy. I must say it was a bit alarming to feel that your lower half is just dead weight. A white screen was placed across my tummy so I could not see my abdomen. I was awake the whole time that my Dr. was doing a laproscope tubal ligation and we were listening to the Rolling Stones. Since that day, everytime I hear "Jumpin Jack Flash" I think about my tubal! It takes a few hours for the feeling to come back and do not freak out if one leg seems to come back first while the other is still numb. I was sitting more on my left cheek than my right so my left leg was numb when my right leg was coming back. I mean it you cannot tell if you are sitting more to one side, that is how well the epidural works. My one experience with it was all good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner fan View Post
Hi Sister,

We have our surgeries scheduled on the same day. I had one epidural. I had a tubal ligation just hours after birth #4 and it was okay. The Nurse was surprised when I asked her for instruction on how to position myself, she assumed I had had a few already. They give you a local anesthetic shot to numb the area of your spine while you lay on your side sort of curled in a fetal position. Then you feel pressure when they inject you but no pain. Then the entire lower half of your body feels warm and heavy. I must say it was a bit alarming to feel that your lower half is just dead weight. A white screen was placed across my tummy so I could not see my abdomen. I was awake the whole time that my Dr. was doing a laproscope tubal ligation and we were listening to the Rolling Stones. Since that day, everytime I hear "Jumpin Jack Flash" I think about my tubal! It takes a few hours for the feeling to come back and do not freak out if one leg seems to come back first while the other is still numb. I was sitting more on my left cheek than my right so my left leg was numb when my right leg was coming back. I mean it you cannot tell if you are sitting more to one side, that is how well the epidural works. My one experience with it was all good.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I've been so busy lately I have had no time to be apprehensive. I'm glad. )

I wish you all the best on you hysterectomy. I'll look for you in the post-op thread.
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM

I feel better, less nervy now that I have had my pre op. I had it yesterday morning. I know how you are feeling. I look at it this way, maybe you can understand this in some degree. I have this tumor that has been a parasite. It is stealing away my health and my ability to live a healthy and unfettered life. I know that surgery means pain, but there is an end to it, as opposed to not doing anything, and allowing this tumor to continue to tax my body. Sure there is risk but with risk comes reward. I am actually thankful that I know what the problem is, there is a tried and true solution for it, and that I have the health and ability to have this surgery to rid myself of the cysts and tumors that are holding me back from being the best I can be. I wish I could give you hugs and more encouragement to look at this upcoming change with hope and anticipation that things are going to be so much better for us on the other side. I totally love my Doctor. He has been very good to me. I trust that he will do everything he can to avoid the abdominal incision and get this done LAVH BSO but if he has to remove the tumor, ( Grapefruit to small Cantaloupe size as of 4/06) because it can't be taken in pieces, I am okay with it. A TAH BSO is preferable to leaving that monster in me! He plans to be listening to the Stones again while he operates, just like during my tubal. Take heart, it is normal to be scared and nervous. The bravest of heroes always admit they were scared and nervous, but they do what they have to do despite the fear and uncertainty. We are just days away from a big event, but it is a positive one for us, albeit uncertain and scary. I know you will be okay. I will be okay too. I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers to you from Dallas Tuesday morning.
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner fan View Post
I feel better, less nervy now that I have had my pre op. I had it yesterday morning. I know how you are feeling. I look at it this way, maybe you can understand this in some degree. I have this tumor that has been a parasite. It is stealing away my health and my ability to live a healthy and unfettered life. I know that surgery means pain, but there is an end to it, as opposed to not doing anything, and allowing this tumor to continue to tax my body. Sure there is risk but with risk comes reward. I am actually thankful that I know what the problem is, there is a tried and true solution for it, and that I have the health and ability to have this surgery to rid myself of the cysts and tumors that are holding me back from being the best I can be. I wish I could give you hugs and more encouragement to look at this upcoming change with hope and anticipation that things are going to be so much better for us on the other side. I totally love my Doctor. He has been very good to me. I trust that he will do everything he can to avoid the abdominal incision and get this done LAVH BSO but if he has to remove the tumor, ( Grapefruit to small Cantaloupe size as of 4/06) because it can't be taken in pieces, I am okay with it. A TAH BSO is preferable to leaving that monster in me! He plans to be listening to the Stones again while he operates, just like during my tubal. Take heart, it is normal to be scared and nervous. The bravest of heroes always admit they were scared and nervous, but they do what they have to do despite the fear and uncertainty. We are just days away from a big event, but it is a positive one for us, albeit uncertain and scary. I know you will be okay. I will be okay too. I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers to you from Dallas Tuesday morning.
I will say a prayer for you on Tuesday. I'm so sorry for the tumor that has been making life more difficult for you. - and so glad that there is a way to find help.

My apprehension has actually lessened the closer I get - I have begun to focus on how fortunate I am to have this option available to me. My issue isn't nearly so difficult as a tumor - just abnormal bleeding and now a cervix that is making it hard for the blood to exit.

My surgeon is a good family friend - and because our deductible is so high, is doing his portion for free.

My husband is very attentive and will be taking off work to care for me - he says he is looking forward to caring for me. I'm very blessed to have such a wonderful partner for over 20 years.

My friends are lavishing me with meals and prayer.

Truly - I am so fortunate to have this experience. My heart does break for those sisters who don't have the support I do. But as I have done in the past, my goal is to help others experience being cared for when life gets hard.

See you on the other side!
Unread 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Miss E, so glad to hear you are "planning" to let others care for you and show their love for you. I'm betting it will be a very special time.

It's the unexpected and unplanned events that are often the most memorable, the life-changers. And I suspect that the times of simply sitting and just "being" that may be ahead for you will be very beneficial.

Wishing you the best,
becky
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM

5 Hours? OMG...how long does it take??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register