TAH/BSO on November 14 (tomorrow) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO on November 14 (tomorrow) TAH/BSO on November 14 (tomorrow)

Unread 11-13-2000, 10:05 AM
TAH/BSO on November 14 (tomorrow)

Hi to all: This is a great resource. I've been viewing messages for about a week now. I have a scheduled TAH/BSO tomorrow. I'm worried, of course, but am trying to just "go with the flow". I'm trying to keep this frame of mind: Giving thanks to my uterus and ovaries for their service to me, but gently saying goodby to them, as it's now their time to go".

I'm 51 years old and leary of slow recovery...also I'm self employed at home and was not prepared financially to be off work, but "it is what it is".

Today, the dr. says that I should only have "clear liquids". Tomorrow from 8 a.m. to when I have surgery (about 4:30 p.m.), I cannot have anything, even water. I think that will be hard. I think I'll get up early tomorrow morning, have a little broth before 8 a.m., drink a bunch of water, then just keep myself busy until I go to the hospital so I won't be thinking about anymore water. I'm to check into the hospital about 2:30 p.m. and I assume that the time will pass quickly until my surgery at 4:30. It's funny....when they say you can't have water...then you want a bunch of it. I don't appreciate it until it's gone, huh!!

What else to say, except that I sure do get a lot from this board. I especially like that some of you post your pictures, as it helps to see what you look like in addition to soaking up your kind words.

You will hear more from me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2000, 10:15 AM

Hello Jody - I had tah/bso 3/22 (age 45). My surgery went well....as did my recovery. It was a slow process but I feel wonderful. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't know if I'd drink a "lot" of water in the AM...just enough to quinch your thirst before the 8:00 AM cut off point. The time will go fast...soon you'll be on healing portion of this journey.

Please keep in touch so we'll know how you're doing.
Unread 11-13-2000, 10:26 AM
be thinking of you sister

Your big day is tomorrow and mine is wed. both of us will be learning what it is like to have a new body.

This was not the choice of mine to be down either but, like you said it is what it is and all we can do is go with it. I will keep you in my thoughts and be praying for a fast recovery for you.

Keep your chin up it is almost over....
by the way I get your great diet tomorrow so you are not alone!
bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2000, 11:07 AM

Good luck for tomorrow, I also go in tomorrow but do not have surgery until Wednesday. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Chris
Unread 11-13-2000, 11:47 AM

Hello jodi, I know what its like going all day with out food or water. When i had my lap it was done at 4:30pm i also had to go without water and food it is hard but keep busy it helps good luck with surgery.
Colette
TAH DEC.1st(2/12 weeks to go)
Unread 11-13-2000, 01:38 PM

Hello Ladies in Waiting,
Tomorrow marks six weeks from my TAH. I thought you might be interested to know how it went for me. I'll precede by saying that I am so well, and so happy to have reached this stage successfully, that I want to reassure you girls who are going in. Everyone doesn't have the same experience, and by these message boards obviously don't have the same recovery time, but this is for what it's worth.
Here in Ireland, we go in to hospital the day before. You might not like it, but for me it concentrated my mind, I wanted my DH to go on home and let me get on with it. We seem to do a lot of things differently, like stay in the hospital for a full week as routine. There again, I found I was happy to be taken care of, as when they took me off the morphine pump after three days, I was a bit weepy and weak, and at least while I was in the hospital my family didn't have to take care of me.
Here, and I think in the UK, we are made to wear thick white stockings for the whole week, this is to prevent blood clots forming from inactivity, and they are too hot and too tight, but must work. We also get daily injections for the same reason, but they're just a little pinch. I didn't know about this before hand. I actually think the stockings are worn by most of the women in hospital, whatever the reason.
The morphine pump was great, took care of all the pain, and I realise now had me on a high for a while.
During recovery, I didn't want any alcohol or sweet things, just meat and potatoes or good, plain food. This has changed,unfortunately!
I think the main thing I want to say is that, stay positive, you WILL get better, stronger and hopefully be glad to have had this operation to take away all the bother and pain . Focus on getting through it, and afterwards every day getting over the milestones of urinating, bowel movements, getting rid of the drip, etc., and every day getting stronger. You will do it, and you will be better.
God bless you all.
Strawberry
TAH for fibroids, pain, cysts, endo on 3 rd October.
Unread 11-13-2000, 03:44 PM
to jody

good luck and godspeed to you...just came home 12nov from tah/bso on 8nov...still coping with this process a few minutes at a time myself so don`t have much advice..just big hugs for you.
Unread 11-13-2000, 03:57 PM
Safe passage

Yes, Ijoin you tomorrow as well for my Vag/Lap [50% chance] or TAH. I will know when I wake up. I wish for you, and all the women here who go tomorrow...safe trip, safe passage, and not too much pain.

Take care,

Terry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register