dVH/RALH Elliptical machine, and when, post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Elliptical machine, and when, post op? Elliptical machine, and when, post op?

Unread 11-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Elliptical machine, and when, post op?

Hi. I know we need to walk walk walk, but we're heading into a crazy rainy El Niño season here in sunny CA, so I'm trying to plan for an exercise routine inside.

Anyone use an elliptical? I have one at home but am scared to try it yet, I'm only 9 days post op. I thought it might be ok since it's so low impact and has a support bar to hold onto across the front, but then I read we're not supposed to do so many things, and I worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Re: Elliptical machine, and when, post op?

Keep in mind if you had robotic surgery, your incisions are much more delicate than hand tightened sutures. My doctor has said I don't need to walk for exercise until at least six weeks post op. Then the elliptical would be great. Right now I'm just focusing on moving around to keep blood clots at bay and listening to my body so I know when to stop. Happy healing!
Unread 11-15-2015, 04:46 PM

I asked my doctor since my surgery was in winter and I lived in upstate NY at the time. At 3 weeks he said I could walk inside the house all I wanted, and I could get on the treadmill and go very slowly, but no elliptical until a little longer. Your best bet would be to call your doctor and ask specifically about your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie 1122 View Post
I asked my doctor since my surgery was in winter and I lived in upstate NY at the time. At 3 weeks he said I could walk inside the house all I wanted, and I could get on the treadmill and go very slowly, but no elliptical until a little longer. Your best bet would be to call your doctor and ask specifically about your situation.
thank you for sharing your experience. I had all these grand plans to lose weight and get cardio fit before surgery but I was in too much pain. I feel myself sitting around getting fatter, lol, and I keep walking by that elliptical growing cobwebs. I will stick with walking.
Unread 11-15-2015, 07:38 PM

I didn't start back on the elliptical until after my 7 wk checkup just last week and dr gave green light for all activities besides walking. I had abdominal surgery so I think it might have been too fast/rough of a motion prior to that anyway.

I love to walk and easily rebuilt my stamina starting in the house the first few days, then walking the neighborhood, bit by bit, extending it as I felt well enough. I have a good LL Bean rain parka and walk in the rain as well. The elliptical will be there when you're ready. Now is the time to go easy on yourself. It's killing me to be doing these little "mummy sit ups" for abdominal strength instead of full sit ups, but I have to keep telling myself to be patient. We can all get back to where we want to be in time.

Be gentle on yourself and in your thoughts about your body. You've recently been through major surgery.
Unread 11-15-2015, 10:07 PM

At my 2 week post-op check last week my doctor said only walking and stationary bike. I asked if I could ride my regular bicycle (I LOVE to ride and was doing it daily) and he said no because of the danger of falling. So many exercises, including the elliptical, use your abdominal muscles.

Nancy
Unread 11-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball fan View Post
At my 2 week post-op check last week my doctor said only walking and stationary bike. I asked if I could ride my regular bicycle (I LOVE to ride and was doing it daily) and he said no because of the danger of falling. So many exercises, including the elliptical, use your abdominal muscles.

Nancy
thanks everyone for the feedback. I will get back at it at New Years maybe, that's exactly 8 weeks for me.
Unread 11-16-2015, 05:37 AM

If you really want to do it, check with your dr. I was allowed to use mine as a supplement because I couldn't walk outside due to an asthma flare up and high pollen count. I used it with no resistance and very carefully and only every couple of days. Also if the weather is bad, walk around the mall, supernkt, a museum etc

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register