Getting impatient - how long for incision "gaps" to heal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting impatient - how long for incision "gaps" to heal? Getting impatient - how long for incision "gaps" to heal?

Unread 09-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Getting impatient - how long for incision "gaps" to heal?

While my overall recovery really has been going very well, I still have this little "gap" towards the top of my vertical incision, 4+ weeks post-op. I saw my doctor almost 2 weeks ago, and he assured me that there was no sign of infection and possibly a blood clot had kept the edges of that part of the incision from knitting together. Per instructions, I've been keeping the "gap" closed with bandaid, and treating with neosporin a couple times a day. My doc told me it might take up to 2 weeks to close up. I think there has been slightly more "closing", but it's so close to 2 weeks now, with a ways to go to fully closing that "gap", I'm wondering if anyone else has had this incision "gap" and how long it's taken for yours to heal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2005, 10:44 AM

I too have a little 'gap' in my incision. I had a SAH back in June. It hasn't closed up and was told probably never will. The dr told me it will fade over time and not be as noticible. It's not red or anything and looks more like a small dimple.
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:48 AM

I am 2 weeks post op and also hava small gap at the left side of my incision. I went to GYN/DR yesterday,and she said that my incision looked good and that this gap will heal. She told me to wash out with soap and water and to put a little neosporyn around the incision but not in it. I will do as she suggested and see what happens. So hopefully it will heal soon. I feel your fustrations. Take Care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM

FWIW -- it took 10 weeks for my hyst incision to close completely -- although it should be noted that I had a very long incision because I also had a panniculectomy, and in places there was a 3-inch gap in the incision.

Everyone heals at different rates. As long as things look OK and aren't infected, you should be OK. It will heal.

Also, my doc said that the absolute worst thing I can do is to have "skin touching skin" -- in other words, don't try to artificially "close" the incision. That's when you get skin breakdown and other such issues. My doc actually said that you don't want the skin to come together so much, but for new skin to generate from the inside out, if that makes sense.

I was told I could put Neosporin on if I felt it was necessary, but that doesn't really speed healing -- only if it started showing signs of redness or irritation. I only use water and soap to clean, and dh dabs on a bit of peroxide once a day where my new incision is still oozing a bit.
Unread 09-23-2005, 12:29 PM

be careful of peroxide my dr said if used too much it kills healthy tissue in incision. I was using it 2 to 4 times a day b/c I didn't want an infection. I had a bad experience with an infected c-section wound 10 years ago that I had to get scrubbed every day for 2mos before it finally healed from inside out. When I saw that little gap not closing I was scared it was going to happen again. Hopefully this will heal soon.
Unread 09-23-2005, 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It's amazing the difference in medical advice we can get! Well, I'll just have to see what my surgeon has to say when I get my 5 week post-op exam with him next Thursday!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register